BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it happened to owen and it's happening/happened to rooney... they lost their raw pace of youth and suddenly they aren't the same threat. you could say that the same, about shearer even, for us he had an extra yard to his game that made him that bit more dangerous than he was for newcastle

Wales, big win 3-nil in Israel. Aaron Ramsey, 1 goal, Bale 2 goals. Who knows what they could do in a Euro. Wales on top of group B. So, there chances are way better than average, they will have to fool with Belgium and Israel too. Top 2 spots go to the Euro automatically. Wales already has a draw with Belgium.

Israel should be disqualified on the basis they aren't in Europe.

There would be some much bigger derby games against Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia for them.

Good luck to Wales though, they aint half had to wait long enough to be in position to qualify.

• Moderation Lead

They've a really tough group as well Wales, will be an achievement getting out of that one!

The Dutch drew at home to Turkey tonight. They've a lot of work to do to qualify!

Israel should be disqualified on the basis they aren't in Europe.

There would be some much bigger derby games against Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia for them.

Good luck to Wales though, they aint half had to wait long enough to be in position to qualify.

Australia aren't in Asia but that is where they play now, seems they even won the Asian Cup this year, they defeated South Korea: It really wasn't fair to Australia to have to play in Oceania really and always have to play against one of the South American outsiders to qualify for the World Cup or at least some people see it that way.

I know Saudi Arabians and the Iranians dislike each other, you find Iran football talk on the web and they don't even like it that that one World Cup is scheduled for Qatar and they want to boycott it. Now, it seems Iran and Saudi Arabia are fighting or close to it in Yemen, so I'm not sure how those two teams will play in the future.

Rooney is obviously a good player. To suggest otherwise would be ridiculous. He's also had some good games in Europe for Manchester united. However in a lot of them games he has been surrounded by teammates of similar and sometimes superior ability. For England when it comes to big games in major tournaments, he hasn't performed.

My opinion is because he isn't incredibly good enough at anything in particular to turn a game when you need someone to.

He's not slow but he's not quick.

He can head but he's not aerially dominant.

He's strong but not strong enough to bully top centre halves.

He's tricky but can't go on mazy dribbles.

He's technically good in England's team but not as good as the Spanish or South Americans.

He can play a killer pass but doesn't have the greatest of vision.

As a footballer he can do the lot. That makes him a very good domestic footballer. However he doesn't have one stand out attribute. In my eyes that what makes him short of being great.

His reputation was also built on breaking into the Everton team so young, a big money move to Man United at a young age and an England debut at a young age. Unfortunately Scholes is probably right. Rooney should be at his peak now. However the slimmer, quicker Rooney of 2004 was better than the one we see now.

Hope he proves me wrong mind you.

Problem with Rooney is the press build him up to such a level that he can't possibly live up to expectations. He's a good player not doubt about that but he's not brilliant as many would have us believe.

The number of mediocre games he’s had for the national side far outweighs the number of good games he’s had, but no manager has had the balls to drop him, Hodgson made him captain to avoid having to deal with the situation in my book.

But all this said, he’s still our best player, but maybe that says more about the state of English football than anything else.

Can you imagine the magnet for nutcases the World Cup will be in Qatar. ? You wouldn't catch me anywhere near the place.

Having witnessed hundreds of England fans rioting in several places around Europe in years gone by It should be a walk in the park these days!

But yes I take your point Andy, security will be an issue.

it happened to owen and it's happening/happened to rooney... they lost their raw pace of youth and suddenly they aren't the same threat. you could say that the same, about shearer even, for us he had an extra yard to his game that made him that bit more dangerous than he was for newcastle

Owens game was all about pace. Rooney in fairness has much more in his locker and does seem to be adapting as he gets older. His speed may be diminishing (although he was never a real speedster) but his footballing brain and his physical strength are as they always were.

As for Shearer the terrible ankle injury that he suffered playing Everton occurring on the same leg that he ruptured his cruciate ligament reduced him to something of a plodder in comparison to the kid we bought from Southampton. Those NUFC fans simply don't know how good he really was although they do think they do.

Walcott always seems to flatter to deceive, a better King, pace, but too offered injured, like King. Is it something about explosive football players? They seem to injure too easily. Michael Owen? Is it the same elsewhere?

Pundits say not enough movement - ffs, why not? Italy have us in their pocket!

Archived