BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

Rooney is fine when playing the makeweights but when the chips are down and a final comes along or a world cup he has only ever shown up once and that was when he was a naive young lad who was a surprise to the rest of europe

Against the best he is in someone's pocket and it will continue during our 3 (max) world cup games

All wind and p*ss

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If England do well, of course, Roy should get a lot of credit.

It goes without saying, he will get the blame if they do poor as well.

But he is experienced, I believe he managed Switzerland or some other national team as well once.

Harsh. Rooney has shown himself to be quality consistently in Europe and domestically. It's true he has struggled for England apart from Euro 2004. Not ever a Messi or Ronaldo but a top player none the less. Would get in every side around the world apart from the top four or five I think.

rooney overrated, bla bla bla, only 15 goals or so from being England's all time top scorer, one of man utd top all time scorers, yes hes a very poor player, that goal against Newcastle a few years back, the goal against west ham, any old tom, dick and harry can do that!!! give him service and he will deliver, if people think so lowly of England then watch something else like tennis or cricket this summer, anyhoo, I think sturridge will make a bigger impact at the world cup, got the technique now has the end product.

All I can say is that if Rooney is our best player we are in big trouble. OK in the Prem (Occasionally) but out of his class in an international team, Not fit to clean Shearer's boots.

To be honest this squad isn't a million miles away from some of the squads england have sent to tournaments.

Your media always builds up expectations way beyond what you can actually achieve.

This time I think england go into a world cup with realistic expectations and who knows.

At least your there, the boys in green are heading to the usa to play god knows who god knows where in some pointless friendlies.

To be honest this squad isn't a million miles away from some of the squads england have sent to tournaments.

Your media always builds up expectations way beyond what you can actually achieve.

This time I think england go into a world cup with realistic expectations and who knows.

At least your there, the boys in green are heading to the usa to play god knows who god knows where in some pointless friendlies.

Everyone bangs on about England being over hyped.. Who is overhyping them? I haven't read anyone saying we can win the World Cup other than Roy Hodgson.

Rooney is a very good player and has scored goals on the biggest stages. Very few other England players can say that. He's not Messi but that's not a crime. Much rather have him then not.

Everyone bangs on about England being over hyped.. Who is overhyping them? I haven't read anyone saying we can win the World Cup other than Roy Hodgson.

Rooney is a very good player and has scored goals on the biggest stages. Very few other England players can say that. He's not Messi but that's not a crime. Much rather have him then not.

Hodgson is playing it very coy though, he's only said that every manager will say they are good enough to win it if asked.

I'm glad we arent being billed as potential winners, as we arent. I'm a little worried that Roy isnt the right man though, he's very defensive, and that isnt the strength of the squad he has picked. If he plays the defensive durge tactics as he did at the Euros we'll get taken apart.

The stage is set, what if Rooney put on a 1 man show leading England far into the tournament if not actually winning it and being remembered for years to come! Well, I guess that might be possible but not likely and I don't think he could do it for himself. It would be amazing. 2006 was a bitter pill, the tournament started with him being injured, then, maybe by the 3rd match he could play but he had that red card stomping incident in the knockout rounds vs. Portugal.

You never know but I sure don't want to hype them, I've bought 442 and other magazines and read the hype in the past so I don't mean to be propping them up. 2004 also saw Owen playing very well, unfortunate England didn't win that Euro, Rooney again, went out in that tournament, red card or injury, now I forget. Sure most everyone knows this.

Hodgson is playing it very coy though, he's only said that every manager will say they are good enough to win it if asked.

I'm glad we arent being billed as potential winners, as we arent. I'm a little worried that Roy isnt the right man though, he's very defensive, and that isnt the strength of the squad he has picked. If he plays the defensive durge tactics as he did at the Euros we'll get taken apart.

I think those tactics could get England through the group stage. Since Italy famously has their stodgy defence, Catennacio(?), they being in England's group, I do ponder this. I think the tactics could work to an extent and that this team is better than the 2012 Euro team.

Hoax story? Race against the Clock for Saurez to play England: Maybe best to hold up on some predictions:

The 27-year-old Liverpool striker will have keyhole surgery on Thursday to repair damage to his meniscus, says Uruguayan broadcaster Tenfield.

Recovery normally takes between 15 and 20 days, adds the report.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27514880

We'll have to wait. Suarez is a trickster. Mind game? Or is my thinking dubious?

Not a patch on Sturridge. What has he ever done for England? Unfortunately if we want to play two up front there is not a lot of choice.

Rather important that foreign refs are made fully aware of his diving history. Our lot appear to have him sussed now but Johnny Foreigner could easily get taken in.

Did you see that dive he did where he clutched his leg in apparent agony, only to see a good break on whereby he shot up and sprinted for goal?

Not a patch on Sturridge. What has he ever done for England? Unfortunately if we want to play two up front there is not a lot of choice.

Needs to be given a chance. We really need Rooney and Sturridge to build a successful partnership. They do seem quite suited - Rooney dropping deeper to pick up the ball, Sturridge on the shoulder of the defender and drifting wide. Quite complimentary styles of play. That said they have never looked impressive for England as a pair. Need to change that against Italy.

Rooney is obviously a good player. To suggest otherwise would be ridiculous. He's also had some good games in Europe for Manchester united. However in a lot of them games he has been surrounded by teammates of similar and sometimes superior ability. For England when it comes to big games in major tournaments, he hasn't performed.

My opinion is because he isn't incredibly good enough at anything in particular to turn a game when you need someone to.

He's not slow but he's not quick.

He can head but he's not aerially dominant.

He's strong but not strong enough to bully top centre halves.

He's tricky but can't go on mazy dribbles.

He's technically good in England's team but not as good as the Spanish or South Americans.

He can play a killer pass but doesn't have the greatest of vision.

As a footballer he can do the lot. That makes him a very good domestic footballer. However he doesn't have one stand out attribute. In my eyes that what makes him short of being great.

His reputation was also built on breaking into the Everton team so young, a big money move to Man United at a young age and an England debut at a young age. Unfortunately Scholes is probably right. Rooney should be at his peak now. However the slimmer, quicker Rooney of 2004 was better than the one we see now.

Hope he proves me wrong mind you.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderation Lead

Yeah true, we've Italy next so that will be a harsher test.

I just get irritated by the hyping of players when they do well, so they can be knocked down when they have a 'mare!

Archived