BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same old Hodgson, plays a decent team, and has no idea how to set the side up.

How would you like the team set up today from players selected? Don't think we suited a 3-5-2 formation at all.

I think diamond shape has work better with Carrick as the deep midfielder.

Rooney looked better as a striker then a attacking midfielder.

How would you like the team set up today from players selection?.

I think diamond shape has work better with Carrick as the deep midfielder.

Rooney looked better as a striker then a attacking midfielder.

Well having watched us play twice against italy and sit back and let them dictate the pace and pick us off, I wouldn't have tried it again.

That's before playing several players out of position.

Barkley should be starting for me. Will only get better by playing games and developing as a player. First half wasn't good enough.

Second half very good. Better tempo and pass the ball better.

Still gives the ball away too much for me. Can't make the Everton team, so a little way to go before starting for his country.

By the way, anyone else already sick to death of the Harry Kane media love-in? He's obviously talented, but it's early doors in his career yet he's being touted as some kind of demi-god. Also he throws himself to the floor at the merest hint of defenders being near him, and as yet he's getting no bad publicity for it.

Theres a good case England now have the most promising set of attacking youngsters since 1998/2000. Maybe all the technical academies etc have paid off? Kane, Townsend, Henderson, Sterling, Barkley, Wiltshire, Welbeck, Sturridge, Oxlaide-Chamberlaine. All have a lot of quality and you could see them being successful playing for European clubs - certainly a step up from the likes of Heskey on the wing or Trevor Sinclair.

The lack of decent defenders however is a worry. Only one who looks international quality is Cahill. THe young defenders who have come through are not pulling up trees (Jones and Smalling look to be going backwards every year). Plus while we have got decent young talent there isn't a standout midfield general in the mould of Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard. Lots of energy and enthusiasm but not a real leader to get his foot on the ball. Wiltshire is closest to that but is injury prone and lacks composure.

• 2 months later...

Got to love jack Wilshere's goals last night. Two absolute screamers and the second was simply World Class from beginning to end (and most people will know that I do not use the term World Class lightly).

Well done to Rooney too for equalising Linekars England total and just a shame he missed at least 3 'gimmes' that he would normally have taken without thinking.

Lallana's second half cameo was brilliant too. This lad has the type of midfield quality and invention that we have not had access to since Joe Cole. Lets hope Hodgson doesn't shove him on the wing too in order to accommodate lesser talents in the middle as previous England manager's have.

I thought Glenn Hoddle made a good point to counter Lee Dixon yesterday (probably speaking from his own personal England experiences) that Lallana has to play as the creative force and be allowed to 'go missing' or make a mistake and not shunted into the wilderness if and when it happens.

As a nation we produce too few players of that ilk and we cannot afford to marginalise them for the sake of safety first football.

• Backroom

I thought Glenn Hoddle made a good point to counter Lee Dixon yesterday (probably speaking from his own personal England experiences)quote name N4 that Lallana has to play as the creative force and be allowed to 'go missing' or make a mistake and not shunted into the wilderness if and when it h8 6H8 6AP2786@.

DTV

As a nation we produce too few players of that ilk and we cannot afford to marginalise them for the sake of safety first football.

It's relevant to us, too. How often was Tugay allowed to go missing or pass to his invisible mate?

• Moderation Lead

Saw the first half, and then resumed watching just before Slovenia's 2nd goal and England's 3rd. (Safe to say I missed out judging by comments about Wilshere's goals!!)

Surprised Henderson went to right back over Jones at half time, not least because Clyne was on the bench, who should have been starting imo, especially as Jones is never a right back......

A win's a win, and 6 out of 6 in qualifying shows we're doing something right. If we win the next two I *think* we're home and dry, as it's now the top 2 that qualify? There were a few strange choices/omissions in the squad imo, but ultimately we got the job done so it doesn't matter now until the next game.

Saw the first half, and then resumed watching just before Slovenia's 2nd goal and England's 3rd. (Safe to say I missed out judging by comments about Wilshere's goals!!)

Surprised Henderson went to right back over Jones at half time, not least because Clyne was on the bench, who should have been starting imo, especially as Jones is never a right back......

A win's a win, and 6 out of 6 in qualifying shows we're doing something right. If we win the next two I *think* we're home and dry, as it's now the top 2 that qualify? There were a few strange choices/omissions in the squad imo, but ultimately we got the job done so it doesn't matter now until the next game.

U21's took Kane.

I thought Glenn Hoddle made a good point to counter Lee Dixon yesterday (probably speaking from his own personal England experiences) that Lallana has to play as the creative force and be allowed to 'go missing' or make a mistake and not shunted into the wilderness if and when it happens.

Hoddle could have been talking from experience. Oodles of class and creative quality yet Robson preferred grafters Reid and Robson in midfield and stuck Hoddle on the right wing. Was as bad as playing Tugay on the wing. In WC '86 when we had to beat Poland to get through the group stages Reid and Robson ignored the Manager and told Hoddle to play wherever he wanted and they'd play deep behind him. We won 3-0 and qualified on goal diff.

England consistently appear unable to do as other nations and build teams around true world class players, we prefer grafters pouring out sweat with mud stained shorts patrolling our midfield.

I did suggest somewhere on here way back that Lallana could become our equivalent of Germany's Ozil.

• Moderation Lead

Not good enough imo.... except at blagging free kicks of course.

For me, he's had a pretty good season for manure (along with Fellaini who was much maligned previously), he's quick and a good crosser of a ball.

Archived