SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA women beat Germany 2-0 last night.

England women play Japan today in the other semi final.

Japan are definitely the favourites. Quite frankly I couldn't name an England women's player. If England do win should I jump on the bandwagon?

USA women beat Germany 2-0 last night.

England women play Japan today in the other semi final.

Japan are definitely the favourites. Quite frankly I couldn't name an England women's player. If England do win should I jump on the bandwagon?

I couldnt name one either but certainly they seem to have more desire than their male counterparts.

Listening to them screeching at one another is outstanding.

I would love a US England final so I can go to a bar and start trouble.

If one can not name one of the England players, the media plays a role in this, this should be the main story headline at the BBC football website instead of Netherlands naming Blind as manager.

The England Norway game was a great game, Norway won the women's 2nd world cup, so they are a good team. Anyway Norway scored the 54th minute, England came back to score in the 61st and then, the clincher in the 76th minute. For that stage, coming back to win 2-1 is very impressive.

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2015/06/22/world/womens-world-cup/norway/england/1463138/ Only 20,000 in attendance, I thought it was very good and England needed that match.

--------

To the Germany/USA game, I can't help but remark, Germany got a chance at a PK first, their player, Sasic, one of their best, looked right at the German sideline before running up on the ball to kick and miss, to the side of the net. I think it was bad form to look at the bench immediately before kicking and I think her concentration must have gotten messed up. She is usually very reliable. Then, the PK given to the USA a little later, perhaps should have been a free kick. Germany lost composure, some of the USA players are good people but I don't like the likes of some of them like Hope Solo.

It is hard to see who will stop the USA, I hope England can and win it all, Sampson is a top manager.

Japan could win it again but I tend to doubt they can win the final.

Heh, I forgot, England does play again on Saturday, 3rd place. Whatever. I get royally peeved watching the men's world cup, live and die with the matches and most people seem to say they don't care about those games. The women's World Cup is a bit easier to take, hard loss though.

USA will probably win it, Germany may well win the 3rd place game, this probably deflates the egos but I hope the Lionesses try. Well done all the same.

That's got to be about the cruelest way to lose but maybe all the ways are cruel. I do think Japan overall, was the better team though, I could be wrong. What a drag.

I don't know though? If they got the Bronze Medal, 3rd place, that's something and beating the Germans would sweeten that.

I am all in favour of women's football. I think the mens game could benefit from unflattering comparisons with the women's game in terms of commitment and integrity.

The on pitch standard has hugely improved

The one glaring weakness as drog said is the goalkeeping. Needs to be sorted out.

Well done to the lionesses. I'm gutted I couldn't watch the game this morning.

Heh, I forgot, England does play again on Saturday, 3rd place. Whatever. I get royally peeved watching the men's world cup, live and die with the matches and most people seem to say they don't care about those games. The women's World Cup is a bit easier to take, hard loss though.

USA will probably win it, Germany may well win the 3rd place game, this probably deflates the egos but I hope the Lionesses try. Well done all the same.

That's got to be about the cruelest way to lose but maybe all the ways are cruel. I do think Japan overall, was the better team though, I could be wrong. What a drag.

Going from the time of your post, I would guess you were watching? Only saw the last half hour myself but I thought England were a bit unlucky judging from that. Hit the bar twice (OK one was a cross that almost drifted in) and the Japanese goalie made a good save. Japan didn't create much and the og was really bad luck.

Going from the time of your post, I would guess you were watching? Only saw the last half hour myself but I thought England were a bit unlucky judging from that. Hit the bar twice (OK one was a cross that almost drifted in) and the Japanese goalie made a good save. Japan didn't create much and the og was really bad luck.

You are probably right, as a whole, I think Japan kept their composure and confidence. But saying that almost makes it worse. What a bad ending but I hope they give it their best for the Saturday match.

It almost seemed like playing the Champion, Japan, still gave the Japanese an advantage. I think Japan was vulnerable because most of their wins were only by one goal.

France and England, despite very good squads, still have that outsider role unfortunately. It would be great to defeat Germany.

Haven't seen much but looked like 2 very dodgy penalties, and also (from a not particularly good angle) it looked the own goal was when the centre half was stretching for a ball when the forward was offside next to her - shouldn't that be offside? (If it actually was)

Having said all that, gutting way to lose especially when you have no time to respond, and I believe we deserved to win the game too.

I think the Women's game has come on tremendously the last ten years. I now find the difference in standard between the women's and men's game to be less than is the case in tennis and golf. They can all hit the ball twice as hard as I ever could.

I am slightly biased though, being the coach of a local adult women's team in a thriving league of over 40 teams in a town not much bigger than Blackburn with Darwen

• Backroom

I think the Women's game has come on tremendously the last ten years. I now find the difference in standard between the women's and men's game to be less than is the case in tennis and golf. They can all hit the ball twice as hard as I ever could.

I am slightly biased though, being the coach of a local adult women's team in a thriving league of over 40 teams in a town not much bigger than Blackburn with Darwen

I would say the standard overall is arguably higher in the women's game! Certainly without the emphasis on speed, power, stamina, and strength, they appear to exhibit (at the very least) an equal standard of teamwork, tactics and technique. The bit that has put them above the men's game (for me) is the fact they get straight up after a foul, they don't spit at each other, and they don't cry foul when a gust of wind misplaces an eyelash!

G'wan girls!

Though I will reiterate the thoughts of quite a few earlier in the thread that the goalkeeping needs work.

I would say the standard overall is arguably higher in the women's game! Certainly without the emphasis on speed, power, stamina, and strength, they appear to exhibit (at the very least) an equal standard of teamwork, tactics and technique. The bit that has put them above the men's game (for me) is the fact they get straight up after a foul, they don't spit at each other, and they don't cry foul when a gust of wind misplaces an eyelash!

G'wan girls!

Though I will reiterate the thoughts of quite a few earlier in the thread that the goalkeeping needs work.

Sorry cany agree the standard is higher. There does seem to be aspects in which it is currently better - diving, rolling around after the vaguest touch, more level in competition etc, but the rest is definitely inferior (refereeing very much on the same level as goalkeeping). Doesn't make it un-entertaining but its nowhere near the same standard.

Quality of women's football, not as good. Heart of some of those teams, better, better than their male counterparts, I felt sorry for the gals losing on most all of those teams. I'm glad North Korea did not make it and they were busted for performance enhancing drugs and probably why Thailand went who managed to get 3 points, respectable.

I say the women's team in the case of England has more heart, I stand by that; but at the same time, the pressure on the men, the manager and squad for England certainly is great and has been a hindrance as well. That can not be underestimated either.

I'm a bit suspect of the pressure argument. Brazil come under totally ridiculous pressure and (nearly) always perform. Same with Argentina and Italy. Germany probably do have a small advantage due the lesser nationalism taking an edge of pressure off. But I can't see it as a big factor.

The issue for England is we have had less truly world class players come through than the top countries, and when they do they are bunched in certain positions (eg. Four world/near world class attacking central midfielders in the 2000s. Sweet f-all wingers, defensive mids and no decent target men in the same period) and so we really struggle to put together a good balanced side.

Also tactically we have struggled to keep up as the technical quality and pace of the players has not fit fancy false nine, flying attacking trio etc approaches.

Think we are getting close on that one though. Most of our attacking players are now of a pacy flexible skillful type which would slot into a Spain, Germany, Argentina tactical setup (eg. Sterling, Llalana, Rooney, Walcott, Sturridge, Oxlaide Chamberlain etc). We can now play across the park, attack a full back, get in behind whereas in the Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham era we were much more limited looking to play in front if the defence.

Question is more if these new quick players are good enough. Not at the moment I would say. And the defence is shocking which is a huge problem. But we have hope (as always).

I honestly could not give a toss about the women's world cup, nothing to do with sexism, the England semi final interests me about us much as putting my testicles in a tank of pirahnas

What an odd metaphor. I rather think that would focus your attention somewhat.

bravo_2.gif

I'd hate for that call that gave England a PK in a final but they are saying it is a good call.

Bronze, 3rd place, pretty good considering this is their best World Cup ever, beating the Germans who have won 2 World Cups. Can't help but think they could have done better, meaning that unfortunate o.g. versus Japan.

Archived