BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oh what an atmosphere...

I love a party... (All together now!)

In all seriousness though, what is it that creates the atmosphere at games?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/blackburns-travelling-support-prove-its-5295722

We didn't have a great deal to get us excited about or wound up by but the Rovers faithful never stopped singing. Something they barely start at Ewood.

Is it down to the kind of people who go to away games? To the BBE and DE splitting the most vocal? The approach to games in the league vs cup? Standing up? Standing en masse? The opposition? The David-vs-Goliath nature of it?

Any suggestions as to how we can bottle what we had today and take it back to Ewood?

I love a party... (All together now!)

In all seriousness though, what is it that creates the atmosphere at games?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/blackburns-travelling-support-prove-its-5295722

We didn't have a great deal to get us excited about or wound up by but the Rovers faithful never stopped singing. Something they barely start at Ewood.

Is it down to the kind of people who go to away games? To the BBE and DE splitting the most vocal? The approach to games in the league vs cup? Standing up? Standing en masse? The opposition? The David-vs-Goliath nature of it?

Any suggestions as to how we can bottle what we had today and take it back to Ewood?

Safe standing areas like they had at Leverkusen.

A combination of all those listed probably but as we've seen in the past Rovers fans often rise to the occasion. Trouble is with a large section of our fanbase they seem to think we should beat nearly everybody we play and seem to view the club as it was not as it really is, if that makes sense. Being genuine underdogs and going somewhere not expecting anything at all makes a bit difference. Was like the old days, cracking stuff.

People moved from the Blackburn End because the atmosphere was dying already. There just isn't any passion at home games. Fans don't sing, they don't (vocally) support the team. It's almost as if they are embarrassed to show passion (or simply don't care enough?). I'm sure that you'll see Liverpool being more vocal at Ewood and it will be us that are sat on our hands.

I think safe standing in the BBE lower would be a start. Holds 5,000 seated, probably 8,000 standing - would bring the singers together.

Problem is now a far lower foot fall, BBE lower sparse, singers fed up and gone to DE, but not enough singers in either to make a noise.

Best games atmosphere wise this season I have to say is when Leeds/Boro given the DE. Concentrates the rest of us.

Having 6,000 there today, in good spirits, and decent weather, with everything to lose meant we could sing our hearts out!

Despite that, too often been disappointed away from home this season in the league. Funny old game.

I think how Bowyer approaches each home game as if we are playing a top team, with his side being so fearful of moving the ball forwards and going for goals it has gradually killed the atmosphere. There is a misconception amongst some supporters who think that some who go to Ewood think we have a God-given right to turn teams over, this isn't the case BUT we think that we should give 100% effort and try to win EVERY game. Too often it seems as though we just tick over, wait for the inevitable or try to stumble across a goal. Rovers don't dominate teams and haven't done for soooo long, I genuinely can't think of the last game we've done that for the majority of the match - that is a major problem. Passion on the pitch = passion on the stands and obviously sometimes the reverse might apply too.

The fanbase has become used to premier league football. Rotherham at home just doesn't excite which ever way you want to cut it. The side haven't been playing particularly well this season, barring the cup games and therefore the atmosphere at home is poor. This is common at most teams. Did you hear the Kop today? Its far harder to generate noise at home unless there is something really riding on the game, be it a derby or a cup semi final. There isn't much you can do.

I reckon if we can keep Liverpool quiet at Ewood in a few weeks, then the atmosphere will be transformed.

The sense of occasion and fact most people have had a drink makes for atmospheres like that. Everyone there yesterday was a season ticket holder so will be at most home games but you know for a fact we won't be as vocal as yesterday for the remainder of the season...

• Moderation Lead

I think because people have had to travel and make a day out of it always makes away games noisier and folk more inclined to sing.

Well, that and alcohol (in most cases!)

Everyone there yesterday was a season ticket holder

No chance. I wasn't there and I'm not going to guess the percentage but I'm sure many people who went yesterday are those that dropped off after relegation and only go to games against big teams.

I'm not passing comment on the atmosphere, I just wish some of those singing "rovers till I die" at the end, actually came and made the same noise at Ewood. It's hard to dispute that we'd have more points at home since relegation if 8/10k supporters hadn't dropped off.

We took 4000+ to east lands last year, if we get to the semi you could see us taking 20,000....

Seeing as they were only on sale to ST holders and sold out in 3 days you'd think the vast majority were ST holders. I could name about 5 or 6 straight off who went yesterday but rarely, if ever stray to away games. Felt like an away day from the times we had no hangers on whatsoever :)

It it's also impossible to dispute that we would have had a lot more points at home if we'd employed a manager after relegation, that in turn along with improved results would have stifled half the exodus and helped the atmosphere.

No chance. I wasn't there and I'm not going to guess the percentage but I'm sure many people who went yesterday are those that dropped off after relegation and only go to games against big teams.

I'm not passing comment on the atmosphere, I just wish some of those singing "rovers till I die" at the end, actually came and made the same noise at Ewood. It's hard to dispute that we'd have more points at home since relegation if 8/10k supporters hadn't dropped off.

We took 4000+ to east lands last year, if we get to the semi you could see us taking 20,000....

Tickets sold out to season ticket holders. So basically you're wrong.

Wrong but my daughter who went with me wasn't a st holder and I suspect there were a few like her. I bought tickets for my husband and myself but he couldn't go so she went instead. She doesn't have a st because of her work ( no point if you're covering matches most weekends)

• Backroom

Seeing as they were only on sale to ST holders and sold out in 3 days you'd think the vast majority were ST holders. I could name about 5 or 6 straight off who went yesterday but rarely, if ever stray to away games. Felt like an away day from the times we had no hangers on whatsoever :)

It it's also impossible to dispute that we would have had a lot more points at home if we'd employed a manager after relegation, that in turn along with improved results would have stifled half the exodus and helped the atmosphere.

I was quite annoyed when i got to my seat yesterday. I ended up being sat next to 2 canadian blokes who were at the game to watch Liverpool play.

How they got there ticket I have no idea, they had no idea who any of our players were and were asking me questions such as who should we look out for etc..

To think some loyal fans missed out because of these is quite annoying!

Please note: I have nothing against canadians, and they certainly weren't at the game to see Doneil Henry!

Tickets sold out to season ticket holders. So basically you're wrong.

Is it not possible for people to exploit the buying process? For example collecting season ticket numbers from people unable to attend?

It hurts me when I see the stadium a 1/5thfull and people using an excuse of too expensive, and then a few weeks later 5000+ pay £30 to see us at Liverpool.

I was quite annoyed when i got to my seat yesterday. I ended up being sat next to 2 canadian blokes who were at the game to watch Liverpool play.

How they got there ticket I have no idea, they had no idea who any of our players were and were asking me questions such as who should we look out for etc..

To think some loyal fans missed out because of these is quite annoying!

Please note: I have nothing against canadians, and they certainly weren't at the game to see Doneil Henry!

Touts are still alive and well it would seem. I wonder how much they paid to see their beloved team ? Players and club officials etc also still get loads of complimentaries whatever the game so god knows what hands they end up in. We had about 6 of CKR's family and friends behind us at Arsenal the other year.

We didn't have a great deal to get us excited about or wound up by but the Rovers faithful never stopped singing.

Trying to get this back on topic, I'm not sure I agree with the first part of your assertion above, Stuart.

The Daily Telegraph isn't the paper my newsagent delivers; but this report http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/11457656/Liverpool-0-Blackburn-Rovers-0-match-report-Defiant-Blackburn-prove-too-resilient-for-Liverpool.html also pays tribute to our vocal efforts which, imo, were down to our support of a fabulous performance by the team. We were the underdogs whom the world expected to be swatted away by the "mighty" Liverpool. Only the team and the management hadn't read that script!!

From where I was sitting [Row 2 for most of the game], there were 10 heroes in blue and white and one in a sort-of lilac-y shade with No. 13 on his back. I couldn't honestly say any one of them had a bad game and it was the least we, as their fans, could do to support them vocally. There were times I was so proud of the team that I was almost crying with pride.

Similarly, although I fear that the manager may well have taken us as far as possible in the Championship with the resources available to him, this Cup Run has shown that he has some tactical nous. Realistically, we were second favourites in this two-horse race but Liverpool just couldn't find their way through a team which was prepared to battle for every one of the 99 minutes that the game was played. So all credit to both the manager and the players.

And to us for supporting them the way we did.

Just one other thing; having praised the manager, how could he say, as he did in the programme, that people expect that Hanley could be a future captain of Scotland [i paraphrase]? For me [and I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one], he has been one of the weak links in the defence this season; Kilgallon worked really hard yesterday [as did the rest of the back four] and I hope that Hanley won't automatically be restored to the back four when he's physically fit to return.

Is it not possible for people to exploit the buying process? For example collecting season ticket numbers from people unable to attend?

It hurts me when I see the stadium a 1/5thfull and people using an excuse of too expensive, and then a few weeks later 5000+ pay £30 to see us at Liverpool.

It is possible yes but I doubt many season ticket holders didn't use their own ticket unless they simply couldn't make it.

Trying to get this back on topic, I'm not sure I agree with the first part of your assertion above, Stuart.

The Daily Telegraph isn't the paper my newsagent delivers; but this report http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/11457656/Liverpool-0-Blackburn-Rovers-0-match-report-Defiant-Blackburn-prove-too-resilient-for-Liverpool.html also pays tribute to our vocal efforts which, imo, were down to our support of a fabulous performance by the team. We were the underdogs whom the world expected to be swatted away by the "mighty" Liverpool. Only the team and the management hadn't read that script!!

From where I was sitting [Row 2 for most of the game], there were 10 heroes in blue and white and one in a sort-of lilac-y shade with No. 13 on his back. I couldn't honestly say any one of them had a bad game and it was the least we, as their fans, could do to support them vocally. There were times I was so proud of the team that I was almost crying with pride.

Similarly, although I fear that the manager may well have taken us as far as possible in the Championship with the resources available to him, this Cup Run has shown that he has some tactical nous. Realistically, we were second favourites in this two-horse race but Liverpool just couldn't find their way through a team which was prepared to battle for every one of the 99 minutes that the game was played. So all credit to both the manager and the players.

And to us for supporting them the way we did.

Just one other thing; having praised the manager, how could he say, as he did in the programme, that people expect that Hanley could be a future captain of Scotland [i paraphrase]? For me [and I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one], he has been one of the weak links in the defence this season; Kilgallon worked really hard yesterday [as did the rest of the back four] and I hope that Hanley won't automatically be restored to the back four when he's physically fit to return.

Hi Andrew. Nice to see you posting.

I didn't say 'nothing to get excited about' but we didn't have a lot to get excited about - we hardly had the ball. We didn't have a lot to get wound up by - the ref was pretty fair I thought. I too was proud of the team but the atmosphere was pretty much self-generated by the crowd regardless of the on-field activity. Even Bowyer said that such support translated into the pitch. There were some good moments: the Baptiste header and a committed block by Kilgallon I think. But I can't think of many more.

As for Hanley, this is where I lose faith in Bowyer. Hanley WILL be back, as soon as fit (as will Lowe). I can only assume that bigging them both up is designed to generate transfer fees from them but that is at the expense of what works best on the field. I worry that if we can somehow self-fund based on player sales and down grading players that mid-to-lower championship status (which on that basis will itself become a self-fulfilling miracle) will be traded for ambition. With a longer shadow being cast over that ambition the longer that time goes on. We still have the resources (and supposed owner backing) to 'think big'. I'd like to think that if Bowyer got us promoted that Venkys - and even moreso the fans - would stick by him.

They need to restrict the amount of seats we can sit in. The stadium's far too big as know.

The following areas need to be shut off to us (home fans)

Full Darwen End: 7000 seats gone.

Upper Blackburn End: 2500 seats gone

Edge & back of the Jack Walker, upper and lower: 3000

That technically reduces the capacity by 12,500 seats, meaning Ewood would only have about 18, 500 seats available. As we only get about 13-14,000 a home game, surely that'd improve the atmosphere?

Love this by the way! This is filmed near to Kop End & it sound like we're at home.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1564671503812058&pnref=story

Eastwood played in green!

Yeah, it was rocking against Stoke in the BE after we equalised and everyone suddenly realised we were in with a shout. I'm very proud of us doing a job on Liverpool, one of the greatest results by Rovers ever. Everyone should stand in the BE for the replay, I know it will be unprecedented with us but lets make an effort.

Archived