BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Retained list:

Blackburn Rovers retained list: Three players offered new contracts | Lancashire Telegraph

The other departures see Under-21s trio Dan Pike, Sam Burns and Aidan Dowling move on at the end of their contracts.

New deals have been offered to three Under-21s players: Pat Gamble, Isaac Whitehall and Zak Gilsenan.

Right back Leo Duru, central defender Charlie Olson, midfielder Adam Caddick and attackers Ben Fyles and Dom Biniek, have all been offered pro deals as their scholarship deals come to an end.

9 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Retained list:

Blackburn Rovers retained list: Three players offered new contracts | Lancashire Telegraph

The other departures see Under-21s trio Dan Pike, Sam Burns and Aidan Dowling move on at the end of their contracts.

New deals have been offered to three Under-21s players: Pat Gamble, Isaac Whitehall and Zak Gilsenan.

Right back Leo Duru, central defender Charlie Olson, midfielder Adam Caddick and attackers Ben Fyles and Dom Biniek, have all been offered pro deals as their scholarship deals come to an end.

Isaac Whitehall was the most promising youngster from his group but unfortunately injury has curtailed the best part of the last two years. Hopefully he can get fit, stay injury free and fulfil his potential. It's good that Rovers are offering him a deal after his injuries too.

• Like 5

Just now, arbitro said:

Isaac Whitehall was the most promising youngster from his group but unfortunately injury has curtailed the best part of the last two years. Hopefully he can get fit, stay injury free and fulfil his potential. It's good that Rovers are offering him a deal after his injuries too.

Yeah, he's had rotten luck with injuries. 

Also didn't realise the Irish Messi had been out for nearly a year with an ACL. He always looks a talented player on the bits I've seen of him.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Retained list:

What about George Pratt ?

1 minute ago, philipl said:

Glad to see Lenni Cirino retained.

He looked exceptional in the coverage I saw of him 21/22

He has had a terrible season with injuries and might have fallen behind both Batty and Gent now for the LB spot,  I hope he gets back to were he was a couple of years back

• Like 1

Never watch it live in person but wangle seeing u21s whenever there is live coverage.

My impression was he started badly at Rovers then became a bit of a goal scorer and became nearly unstoppable then cooled off again. Injuries took their toll.

So needs a lot of working on and anybody's guess if he makes it...

Similarly with Vale, not good enough yet, but may make it in the future. Walker is quite physical, if he can learn to use that, he could become a reasonable player. He might even become a championship level player.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

England U20's start their world cup campaign in Argentina this week. All games free to watch on FIFA+ (https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/showcase/live-streams/a5bff155-ecbc-4ca0-bed2-009a8713c704)

Screenshot2023-05-20at23_37_06.thumb.png.edfcc4e58443c6c72fd6b72d0e66b4bb.png

The squad, which sadly doesn't feature any Rovers players, but does feature some potential loan options for us in the summer:

Screenshot2023-05-20at23_37_17.thumb.png.dfb4b3a5dc691bb172eb2686fb6e9c25.png

Who stands out for you? Of them 4 strikers, Delap struggled at 2 clubs at this level, Jebbison has struggled at this level, Scarlett struggled in League 1 and Joseph has barely ever played.

Doyle has done well at Coventry but would he be interested and do we need a young loanee CB, probably not.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Who stands out for you? Of them 4 strikers, Delap struggled at 2 clubs at this level, Jebbison has struggled at this level, Scarlett struggled in League 1 and Joseph has barely ever played.

Doyle has done well at Coventry but would he be interested and do we need a young loanee CB, probably not.

Scott at Brizzle is a quality player....ran the show at our place this season. Liverpool are after him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Harvey Vale and Carney Chukwuemeka are two strong ones for me. Interested to see the squad play and find out which ones impress.

Are you surprised Wharton didn’t make the squad? I guess he’s been with the england under 19s, but still, he looks to have some of the best experience in comparison (granted likes of Scott).

43 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Out of all of them...I think Liam Delap could do a job. Got a bit of the devil in him, likes a battle and knows where the goal is. Surprised Cannon did better than him at PNE tbh

4 in 36 this season suggest he was struggling to find it at senior level.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Harvey Vale and Carney Chukwuemeka are two strong ones for me. Interested to see the squad play and find out which ones impress.

Vale could barely get a kick at Hull.

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

4 in 36 this season suggest he was struggling to find it at senior level.

I agree. His return has been poor but I think he will come good soon. Got the youth pedigree just needs to put it together at senior level. If he's a City player, he's got something about him.

FWIW, Markanday has now been subbed on for the last two Aberdeen games. Came on in the 58th minute in a 0-0 draw against Hibs and in the 79th minute in a 2-1 loss to Hearts. So, 3 sub appearances total so far...

While obviously worrying/disappointing that he hasn't outright broken into their squad, it's worth keeping in mind:

a) Aberdeen apparently already had a surplus of wingers when he joined

b) He joined Aberdeen right after they sacked their manager amid a horrid 1-1-8 run (including 2 cup losses), so a signing made amid turmoil/uncertainty

(Both points obviously raise questions as to why Aberdeen was considered a good landing spot for him! Who knows if there were other options)

c) Aberdeen have gone 8-1-2 since his loan. Hard to break into a squad that suddenly went on a roll and there have been few opportunities to at least come on as an attacking sub

Having said all that, apparently hasn't impressed in the sub appearances he has made, but just wanted to point out it's hardly been ideal circumstances for him to get a run of games.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

FWIW, Markanday has now been subbed on for the last two Aberdeen games. Came on in the 58th minute in a 0-0 draw against Hibs and in the 79th minute in a 2-1 loss to Hearts. So, 3 sub appearances total so far...

While obviously worrying/disappointing that he hasn't outright broken into their squad, it's worth keeping in mind:

a) Aberdeen apparently already had a surplus of wingers when he joined

b) He joined Aberdeen right after they sacked their manager amid a horrid 1-1-8 run (including 2 cup losses), so a signing made amid turmoil/uncertainty

(Both points obviously raise questions as to why Aberdeen was considered a good landing spot for him! Who knows if there were other options)

c) Aberdeen have gone 8-1-2 since his loan. Hard to break into a squad that suddenly went on a roll and there have been few opportunities to at least come on as an attacking sub

Having said all that, apparently hasn't impressed in the sub appearances he has made, but just wanted to point out it's hardly been ideal circumstances for him to get a run of games.

From what I have seen, Aberdeen are also playing something of a 5-3-2 system under the new manager, which leaves very little space for wide players apart from the wing backs, so he doesn't fit into the side until they are chasing a game and need to change shape

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KentExile said:

From what I have seen, Aberdeen are also playing something of a 5-3-2 system under the new manager, which leaves very little space for wide players apart from the wing backs, so he doesn't fit into the side until they are chasing a game and need to change shape

Waste of time him going there, unless he likes sea fishing ?

• Like 1

Shame about Markanday. Should never have gone on loan to that club. I feel so sorry for the guy. How can you keep up your fitness and development languishing on the bench at Aberdeen FFS?

Egil Ostenstadt was out of favour at Rovers but, being the true professional he was, went and trained hard with the youth lads. He was older and obviously mentally capable.

Young Markanday?...............What a shame. I hope Rovers kept in touch and gave him some encouragement.

5 hours ago, bazza said:

Shame about Markanday. Should never have gone on loan to that club. I feel so sorry for the guy. How can you keep up your fitness and development languishing on the bench at Aberdeen FFS?

Egil Ostenstadt was out of favour at Rovers but, being the true professional he was, went and trained hard with the youth lads. He was older and obviously mentally capable.

Young Markanday?...............What a shame. I hope Rovers kept in touch and gave him some encouragement.

My impression of Ostenstad was anything other than professional. I still remember a cup game against a Rochdale or Rotherham or someone like that, and him getting a chance to force his way back in, and him barely looking arsed. One ball in particular he could have easily got to that he didn't bother chasing. Either he was very unprofessional that day or tbf, maybe very unfit and shouldn't have played.

10 hours ago, bazza said:

Young Markanday?...............What a shame. I hope Rovers kept in touch and gave him some encouragement

He came back and trained with us at some point last season, so we were definitely still in touch. 

I'm not sure what the best course of action is for him. He's clearly a great dribbler but he looks too slow to play on the wing, which then reduces his options to only playing as a number 10, which in modern day football is the ultimate luxury position. Even some of the world's best 10's have struggled over the past decade (Coutinho, Rodriguez etc) because of this.

Szmodics is quite a rarity for a number 10, in that he's an asset off the ball as well as on it. The only way I can see a future for Markanday is by him treating the physical side of the game as his number 1 focus. He needs to become an athlete.