BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Old Sayings

There's loads of old sayings from when I was a kid that most people have heard but I've yet to hear anyone who's heard a saying my Grandma still stays

"Behave or I'll kick your rops in" - if you were being bad

or

"Obstroclas" if you were being awkward

What the hell are Rops? and has anyone else ever heard the term obstroclas?

Rops? Never heard of that one! Obstroclas maybe a corruption of Obstreperous? (Loud and hard to control). My English Grandad used to call me a "pace egg" and my wife's family talk about "Marlaking about" which apparently means messing around though I'd never heard the expression before.

• Moderation Lead

My great grandma and auntie Nellie used to often tell us they would have our guts for garters if we didn't behave

My Grandma said the exact same, I had no idea of what it meant, just that it was probably bad news!

Rops? Never heard of that one! Obstroclas maybe a corruption of Obstreperous? (Loud and hard to control). My English Grandad used to call me a "pace egg" and my wife's family talk about "Marlaking about" which apparently means messing around though I'd never heard the expression before.

Heard all of those before "Obstroclas" or Obstroculous" means being objectionable. A pace egg refers to the old custom of rolling eggs down a hill at Easter. They were called "Pace Eggs" and "marlaking" meant fooling around.

Surely everybody knows what garters are. They hold your socks or stockings up hence "Having your guts for garters".

Heard all of those before "Obstroclas" or Obstroculous" means being objectionable. A pace egg refers to the old custom of rolling eggs down a hill at Easter. They were called "Pace Eggs" and "marlaking" meant fooling around.

Surely everybody knows what garters are. They hold your socks or stockings up hence "Having your guts for garters".

Cheers Al!

• Backroom

Marlaking about, related to 'malarkey'?

Asking my Gran. ' where's my mum? '

Grans reply. ' she's run away with a black man '.

Not PC but it was the 70's.

Not a saying but i remember the oldies calling a park bench a form.

Archived