BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Ipswich Town

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall had a purple patch around Christmas where he was outstanding. Probably the only player apart from our strikers who looked like he deserved to be promoted at any time this season.

I would say we have more chance of trying to get those sorts of performances more consistent, than O'Sullivan swanning in as the next Dunn.

Agree about Marshall, he had a period where he looked a world beater. Like a number of players in this squad we never seem to be able to keep players playing at a consistent level. Imagine a team with King, Cairney, Evans, Marshall, Rhodes etc playing near their best on a consistent basis - we would walk the division.

The first 25 minutes was shocking from Rovers, no fluidity, no cohesion and a lack of understanding from the midfielders about how to use the ball going forwards.

If you play 2 strikers up front you must play with width, on far too many occasions both JR and RG were left with no support.

Dunny had a good came, probably the best in 4 years or so which says just how badly we have missed him with injuries. Yesterday we saw glimpses of the past but time has caught up big time and the injuries have taken their toll. Good luck DD enjoy a final swansong at Accrington.

In Lenihan Rovers have the making of a star player, we should have seen O'Sullivan on the park as well instead of Williamson because these are the types of players that have to be given their chances. Yesterdays team was a mixture of young players with a blend of experience and that has to e the blue print for us next season.

Our young team have now had 2 yrs of experience together, they have had a cup run and have shown they can compete with tough teams in Liverpool, Swansea and Stoke, Now they have to tough it out in the league next season and there is no reason why they cant.

We have to move on from RG and JR, they wont play together at Ewood again I doubt. BUT if we can keep hold of Rhodes and snaffle another diamond to play alongside him then who knows what might happen. Remember we have finished this season with no centre backs.

Building the team around Cairney is the way forward with him CENTRAL and KEY to everything we do. If we put a workhorse next to him (Lenihan) and use Evans sensibly then along with Marshall and Conway, King (if he stays) Rovers have a solid middle. In defence, Henley has come on leaps and bounds, Spurr and Olsson are good young players, in the central berths we have Kilgallon and Duffy with Hanley as back up. If Baptiste comes back then for me that a solid base to move forward.

Thought Henley did really well for most of yesterday's game. What a difference from some earlier games when his confidence had gone and he was being run ragged. He had that tough game a few weeks ago against Antonio but began to show then that he can adapt his game and work out how to deal with problems in the run of play.

Conway showed yesterday what a threat he can be when he runs more directly at teams. It's something our play has missed. Dunn showed his passing skill and his all round reading of games hasn't left him- pity his legs can't do it any more.

I also thought Rhodes worked hard yesterday. Might have been just to show off on sky but he really looked sharper off the ball than usual

I agree about Henley and Rhodes. I thought Rodes played his socks off.

Rudy looked disinterested. He was walking pace for most of his appearance.

I thought Ipswich were woeful in front of goal. The missed 3 absolute sitters, one from about 1meter out !!! They should have had 6 or 7,mind you we missed a few good chances.

As 1864 says we need to use Cairney (and Marshall) more on the wing rather than GB telling them to cut inside all the time. GB needs to get the basics right as. Unfortunately we appear to be stuck with the bloke for the start of next season :-((

I noticed Rudy walking a lot yesterday, pb. But knowing he likely to be off I was watching him more than usual. What I also noticed though was that he and Rhodes really seem to have bonded judging by their reactions after both goals - especially Gestede's in the second half.

Now is the time to get a Souness in (a charismatic but dominant personality) and sit them both down with a credible, if ambitious, promotion plan with those two (already at the club and under contract) to spearhead the attack.

Maybe even Warburton's attack minded tactics could suit them but we need something to change off the field - more of the same will see us slip further backwards. Instead, Frozen Football (plus excuses) will lose us more players than we gain this Summer.

I noticed Rudy walking a lot yesterday, pb. But knowing he likely to be off I was watching him more than usual. What I also noticed though was that he and Rhodes really seem to have bonded judging by their reactions after both goals - especially Gestede's in the second half.

Now is the time to get a Souness in (a charismatic but dominant personality) and sit them both down with a credible, if ambitious, promotion plan with those two (already at the club and under contract) to spearhead the attack.

Maybe even Warburton's attack minded tactics could suit them but we need something to change off the field - more of the same will see us slip further backwards. Instead, Frozen Football (plus excuses) will lose us more players than we gain this Summer.

I have noticed over the last few of matches - what appears to me a new tactic at corners - where we are leaving two players on the half way line (if I remember rightly a similar tactic to one employed by Brentford).

I have noticed over the last few of matches - what appears to me a new tactic at corners - where we are leaving two players on the half way line (if I remember rightly a similar tactic to one employed by Brentford).

Yesterday though, Ipswich broke and we had Gestede, Rhodes and Dunn all slowly jogging back. Only one of them had an excuse. If only Dunn and Lowe could have a love child!

We were involved. Just ask Big Mick.

And Steve Maclaren - whom we gave the chance to.

Although we both know what Tom meant.

You think? Really?

I'm just glad I have the fast forward option.

You could just switch it off and mow the lawn, prepare tonights meal or go shopping..... of course that would mean you would miss having a good old fashioned moan and a chance to spread more negativity.

Garry needs to find a way to get Cairney to work in the middle

Cairney needs to do that for his own good.

I did Barry. Like I said I am willing to eat humble pie where it is due.

Well said PB...... That is a rare commodity indeed around these parts.

I noticed our strikers bonding yesterday too. Pity they won't be together much longer.

Just under 16,500 on Ewood yesterday?

Last game of season aside,some huge crowds for second tier football...three above 30,000!

I said the following on Twitter - 'gate' 16,500 - 10,000 STHs - 2,500 Ipswich = 4,000 walk-ons :lol::blink::wacko:

I said the following on Twitter - 'gate' 16,500 - 10,000 STHs - 2,500 Ipswich = 4,000 walk-ons :lol::blink::wacko:

I've just seen the gate, I wasn't at the game myself, but looking on TV the place looked empty! Riverside especially, almost 17k!!

Laughable!

I've just seen the gate, I wasn't at the game myself, but looking on TV the place looked empty! Riverside especially, almost 17k!!

Laughable!

Tell you what, if the Riverside looked empty then that's a real worry because, looking out from it at the other sides of the ground, I was hoping that most of that gate was sat around me! Such were the number of empty seats I was looking at.

Tell you what, if the Riverside looked empty then that's a real worry because, looking out from it at the other sides of the ground, I was hoping that most of that gate was sat around me! Such were the number of empty seats I was looking at.

When the match kicked off you got a good look at the Riverside and it was less than half full, the JW upper empty also and the Bburn end.

I've not really been looking for it most of the season but 17k?! Never! Even with a decent away following.

I doubt if there were more than 500 in the JW Upper.

Rubbish, there must have been that many queuing for a snack at half time. The official figures didn't look too far out to me. Why do "fans" delight in knocking the club and supporters at every opportunity?

I doubt if there were more than 500 in the JW Upper.

It did look sparsely populated PB.

Rubbish, there must have been that many queuing for a snack at half time. The official figures didn't look too far out to me. Why do "fans" delight in knocking the club and supporters at every opportunity?

17k Al?

Just calling it as I saw it, haven't really commented much on this throughout the season.

Archived