BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Ipswich Town

It's a bit unfair on Williamson who works tirelessly. Evans on the other hand does nothing but lose the ball and needs replacing. I thought Spearing had been brought in to do that.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First 30 minutes apart I thought we played well enough and deserved the win. Dunn was a class apart and if he has been fit all this time has been criminally ignored.

Surprised to see the negativity towards Williamson. He isn't frightened of receiving the ball in tight situations, never hides and loves a challenge (one in particular today where he levelled the Ipswich midfielder was a belter). Yes he's short of pace but is nowhere near as bad as is often portrayed on here.

Agreed. Williamson has been our best centre mid by miles this season.

That said we can't go into next season with him first choice. Too old and too limited.

Garry needs to find a way to get Cairney to work in the middle or buy some new central midfielders who can pass forward effectively.

Well I must apologise and eat my hat. That was an enjoyable game of football today. Well done Rovers.

And I hope you stayed to applaud the players and their kids before retiring to the Dressers Arms.

First 30 minutes apart I thought we played well enough and deserved the win. Dunn was a class apart and if he has been fit all this time has been criminally ignored.

Surprised to see the negativity towards Williamson. He isn't frightened of receiving the ball in tight situations, never hides and loves a challenge (one in particular today where he levelled the Ipswich midfielder was a belter). Yes he's short of pace but is nowhere near as bad as is often portrayed on here.

I agree with you about Williamson that he gets unfair stick. I often find though he undoes his good work with moments of sloppyness or doing something needlessly irrational (his long and awkward back pass to Raya today for one)

Ultimately our central midfield is woeful and we are unlikely to make much real progression with any of them as first choice players.

Good performance today.

Conway deserved motm award.

Spurr isn't a centre back. Lenihan grew into the game and got better.

Raya did very well on his home debut and will only better time and playing more.

Also Think that McCarthy has done wonderful job in getting them into the playoffs with that squad. Only 1 stand out player(D.Murphy) in that squad.

• Backroom

I wouldn't say Raya did very well he made 3 mistakes in a short second half spell and could have cost us.

I think he will be a great keeper but we have to be careful with him and not rush him

He has done it a few times and Cairney has not covered himself in glory.

Yeh it's not like he got player of the season when he...oh wait.

If you mean his smattering of appearances there this season, too sporadic and far apart for him to establish his rhythm. Confidence low from being played in a position where he isn't effective. Simple.

I thought that Bowyer got things right today. His selection was bold. Two strikers and an attack minded central midfielder in Dunn. Williamson and Evans providing protection but with the full backs having to works as wingers in a kind of arcing defence formation. Lenihan did well again and Spurr was adequate satisfactory - although looked like the full back that he is in a strange role, but reasonably assured for the most part.

I genuinely think that Dunn was the difference. He is attack minded and took the game to Ipswich whenever he got the ball. The task for Bowyer is to turn Ben Marshall into that player. But it's a tough ask. With the embargo in place we need to tie players down for next season. I still think that we need someone other than Bowyer pulling the strings. A number 2 'like' Steve Clarke is a minimum. Maybe Filan is that man but it probably needs a fresh pair of eyes. Does anyone have a list of decent assistants out there?

#assumingbowyerisuntouchable

Agreed. Williamson has been our best centre mid by miles this season.

That said we can't go into next season with him first choice. Too old and too limited.

Garry needs to find a way to get Cairney to work in the middle or buy some new central midfielders who can pass forward effectively.

Don't really know what to say - Williamson our best centre midfielder - really ?

I thought that Bowyer got things right today. His selection was bold. Two strikers and an attack minded central midfielder in Dunn. Williamson and Evans providing protection but with the full backs having to works as wingers in a kind of arcing defence formation. Lenihan did well again and Spurr was adequate satisfactory - although looked like the full back that he is in a strange role, but reasonably assured for the most part.

I genuinely think that Dunn was the difference. He is attack minded and took the game to Ipswich whenever he got the ball. The task for Bowyer is to turn Ben Marshall into that player. But it's a tough ask. With the embargo in place we need to tie players down for next season. I still think that we need someone other than Bowyer pulling the strings. A number 2 'like' Steve Clarke is a minimum. Maybe Filan is that man but it probably needs a fresh pair of eyes. Does anyone have a list of decent assistants out there?

Totally agree i think the minimum is a shakeup of the back room staff to freshen things up and a decent defensive coach is defiantly needed

Don't really know what to say - Williamson our best centre midfielder - really ?

If we're talking in a defensive capacity, by a country mile surely?

That's not to say he is great. He isn't. Age dictates he's slow and past his best. However he's

still in a completely different class to the likes of Lowe and Evans imo

• Backroom

Love it, Stuart :D

If we're talking in a defensive capacity, by a country mile surely?

That's not to say he is great. He isn't. Age dictates he's slow and past his best. However he's

still in a completely different class to the likes of Lowe and Evans imo

Speaking of Lowe I'm surprised GB has not raised his being missing as a reason for some if our failings.

I'd rather see O'Sullivan given a chance in that role than Marshall, the latter has wazzed on his chips for me this year with his performances. What's the point in continuing to rely on players who don't appear to have the appetite for it?

I don't understand. Who has been better? Cairney, Evans, Lowe, Dunn, Spearing? All have had poor seasons or so injury hit they have barely played

Williamson has been the best by virtue of being decent enough.

I'd rather see O'Sullivan given a chance in that role than Marshall, the latter has wazzed on his chips for me this year with his performances. What's the point in continuing to rely on players who don't appear to have the appetite for it?

Marshall had a purple patch around Christmas where he was outstanding. Probably the only player apart from our strikers who looked like he deserved to be promoted at any time this season.

I would say we have more chance of trying to get those sorts of performances more consistent, than O'Sullivan swanning in as the next Dunn.

I don't understand. Who has been better? Cairney, Evans, Lowe, Dunn, Spearing? All have had poor seasons or so injury hit they have barely played

Williamson has been the best by virtue of being decent enough.

I think Evans has had a poor season by his standards, but would still have him in midfield before Williamson. Williamson may get stuck in, but that is only because his first touch is so poor, his second touch is often a tackle, or he has to put in a sliding tackle because he is slow he can't keep up with players. I will admit the last few matches he has played better (by his standards) and he always gives 100% - but I would always have an Evans or Lowe before him. Indeed with the emergence of Lenihan I am not sure I would even give him a contract for next season, though FFP may force that.

Archived