BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I kind of have sympathy with Blatter.

FIFA have a primary role to promote and grow the game globally.

For sure this cant happen if the world cup alternates between Brazil and Europe. It is surely why it was held in the USA.

To engage the vast populations of this world, the tourament must surely tour the world.

Russia are an obvious choice.

China will certainly be soon.

The middle east is such a politically difficult region that Qatar were probably chosen from a small number of viable possibilities.

Nothing viable about Qatar. It was one brown envelope too many and in all likelyhood started this chain of events.

No stadiums, no cities, no people, far too hot, no football culture, unuitable for spectators etc. etc.

Now, perhaps a 'Gulf World Cup', with games in say Muscat,.Doha, Bahrain, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait etc. may have worked- akin to Euro 2020.

But Qatar to host a full World Cup, it stinks.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of have sympathy with Blatter.

FIFA have a primary role to promote and grow the game globally.

For sure this cant happen if the world cup alternates between Brazil and Europe. It is surely why it was held in the USA.

To engage the vast populations of this world, the tourament must surely tour the world.

Russia are an obvious choice.

China will certainly be soon.

The middle east is such a politically difficult region that Qatar were probably chosen from a small number of viable possibilities.

Probably the whole idea of voting for the next venue is outdated and in conflict with the FIFA vision of promoting the modern game in the modern world.

I would expect they already have a list of where the world cup ideally should be held for the next 20 years. Its called planning.

I agree with this. They could have just stopped the voting side show and said 'we will decide'. The fact is we (yes we) have wasted millions on a bid that stands zero chance. We and other counties could never have won.

The other option they have to that they could have rotated through say Europe, Asia, Middle East, North America, South America etc and only allow counties from that area to vote. Asia world cup 2022, Euro world cup 2026 and so on...

What they done is a disgrace. I bet they had a few good trips to the bidding countries, top hotel, booze, first class flight, and other stuff I'm sure :blink: knowing full well they cannot win.

I agree with this. They could have just stopped the voting side show and said 'we will decide'. The fact is we (yes we) have wasted millions on a bid that stands zero chance. We and other counties could never have won.

So why aren't the FA engaged in legal action? Why are the English FA still supporting a man suspended on corruption charges? Not a questions to be answered by you - but I think we have to get our own old boys network and brown envelope culture addressed before telling the world how to deal with theirs.

No better time for reform at the FA, FIFA has always protected them from 'interference', right now I think their busy - dismantle the blazer club, appoint a body controlled by football supporters - give the game back to the fans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a New York Times article reporting much the same; http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/sports/fifa-scandal-arrests-in-switzerland.html?_r=0

FIFA is rotten. It needs to be completely replaced. It's head is suspended as is his likely successor. The current second in command is banned. Including these arrests there are now 9 high ranking executives charged with corruption.

They have just started their Christmas Party in Zurich.

Early today their Senior Vice President,chairing the Meeting because no-else was not under suspension or in custody, actually fell asleep during the Meeting.

Could you make it up?

They are more shameless than Steve Kean that lot, they just do not give a feck do they?

I think that is a under statement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35010445

Former Concacaf president Jack Warner - currently fighting extradition from Trinidad to the USA - and Jeffrey Webb, another former Fifa vice-president who has pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy, are accused of being involved in the diversion of funds that were set aside for natural disaster relief.

One emergency fund was made up of a $750,000 sum donated by Fifa and the Korean FA to victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake.

When watching Panorama tonight...

Kentaro won most of the contracts ISL used to have and then some more including marketing the media rights of Brazil.

The Qatari source is interesting too...

At some point someone (and there are quite a few somebodies getting close to needing to plea bargain or just wanting to vent) is going to be so unhappy with the British media playing Sheriock Holmes, they might want to use what they think they know to damage our Premier League money machine.

Just our misfortune if it were to happen now when sanity has descended on Pune and we are beginning to get a proper football club again.

Just watched the Andrew Jennings Panorama piece on BBC1, he seems to draw the conclusion that he alone put the wheels in motion on this. I just don't get the guy, he's spent years asking questions in car parks and being ignored.

Failed to mention that the FBI acted on the information given to them by Heidi Blake & team, and the only document he had procured after 15 years of investigation, the FBI already had at that point.

He seems more obsessed with saying I told you so, rather than providing the information that he had gathered.

One guy who is not mentioned in any funny business is the head of CAF and acting president Issa Hayatou. He was one of Blatter's big mates, and has ran CAF for about 30 years, been implicated in the TV rights issue, and alleged to have taken a bribe to support Qatar's bid. Yet he has breezed through so far.

I do hope that Kentaro are investigated, and that leads the FBI to.................you know the rest.

Archived