BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dialogue With The Owners

47er

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Racing's story is pretty grim. Somehow Syed would have been even worse than Venky's.

I doubt we'd have had to suffer Kean and Anderson though :o Hell discussing this is like saying would I rather die by being hit by a bus or just slowly waste away from a tropical bug...

On another note imagine if this chancer had come in and kept Allardyce and actually given him a few quid !! then again it's likely the fat controller could have been behind this as well so the same things would have happened. Football, what a farce it is eh.

• Backroom

This is not me sticking up for Venky's in the slightest, but at the very least they have continued paying the bills. Syed paid an initial amount when he came in and then left Racing to die.

I appreciate it's a bit like comparing a turd and a pool of vomit, but Venky's have been marginally better owners here than Syed has been at Racing.

I still don't understand how the Trust can be blamed for selling to Venkys. Most fans I spoke to were happy with the proposed plan and I've no reason to suspect the Trust thought otherwise:

The Trust were charged with protecting Jack's legacy, specifically his most cherished possession. If they were no longer able or willing to carry out his wishes, they were legally duty-bound to find a worthy successor to take up the mantle. If that is the criterion on which they should be judged, then it is fair to say that they screwed up royally. They couldn't have sold the club to Syed, Shah, or any other chancer who rolled up into town due to the caveats of the sale. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure they probably would've taken the money and ran a lot sooner.

• Backroom

The Trust were charged with protecting Jack's legacy, specifically his most cherished possession. If they were no longer able or willing to carry out his wishes, they were legally duty-bound to find a worthy successor to take up the mantle. If that is the criterion on which they should be judged, then it is fair to say that they screwed up royally. They couldn't have sold the club to Syed, Shah, or any other chancer who rolled up into town due to the caveats of the sale. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure they probably would've taken the money and ran a lot sooner.

How were billionaires, with a family-run business, who could invest more and had promised to keep the established management system in place not worthy?

What they turned out to be was unworthy, but at the time, they were seen as ideal.

How were billionaires, with a family-run business, who could invest more and had promised to keep the established management system in place not worthy?

What they turned out to be was unworthy, but at the time, they were seen as ideal.

For starters, they're from a radically different culture, had no experience at running a sports business, had no personal affinity with the club, wanted to use Rovers as a marketing tool to sell fried chicken, and were being advised by an agent who was behind Shinawatra's ill-fated takeover at Man. City. To pretend there were no warning signs is slightly disingenuous.

• Backroom

For starters, they're from a radically different culture, had no experience at running a sports business, had no personal affinity with the club, wanted to use Rovers as a marketing tool to sell fried chicken, and were being advised by an agent who was behind Shinawatra's ill-fated takeover at Man. City. To pretend there were no warning signs is slightly disingenuous.

Different culture: Arabs, Russians, Americans, Thais, Chinese...There are many different cultures to ours that own football clubs. It's irrelevant to suggest a different culture should disqualify people from owning a football club.

No experience of running a sports business: Nor had most owners in football before they bought (nor had Jack).

No personal affinity: Nor had most owners in football before they bought.

Marketing tool: 'Walkersteel' Riverside Stand? 'Etihad' Stadium? (Although I admit this one is nit-picky).

If we were supposed to be bothered by Anderson's involvement with Venkys, why was no-one bothered by his involvement in the buying process with Rothschilds from the start?

Venkys WERE suitable owners by every standard applied at the time of takeover. They just turned out to be horrendously advised and/or morons.

It could have been that some assets were sold in order for the proceeds to be divided up amongst some members of the family as a one off settlement I suppose. Leaving the remaining assets under the trust to operate on a more lean and mean basis getting rid of a lot of financial drains in one go.

That is most definitely not the case.

They could have separated Brockhall but Rovers were sold whole and complete.

Different culture: Arabs, Russians, Americans, Thais, Chinese...There are many different cultures to ours that own football clubs. It's irrelevant to suggest a different culture should disqualify people from owning a football club.

No experience of running a sports business: Nor had most owners in football before they bought (nor had Jack).

No personal affinity: Nor had most owners in football before they bought.

Marketing tool: 'Walkersteel' Riverside Stand? 'Etihad' Stadium? (Although I admit this one is nit-picky).

If we were supposed to be bothered by Anderson's involvement with Venkys, why was no-one bothered by his involvement in the buying process with Rothschilds from the start?

Venkys WERE suitable owners by every standard applied at the time of takeover. They just turned out to be horrendously advised and/or morons.

Hello, Mike. Thanks.

Rather than looking at each point individually, you need to look at each one as part of the bigger picture. There were plenty of reasons to suspect that Venky's weren't the right people, but after several years of looking for a buyer and coming up short, the Trust were desperate to offload the club. Jack didn't takeover Rovers for the express purpose of promoting his other businesses, there wasn't an ulterior motive for buying the club as there was with Venky's.

How many people knew about Jerome Anderon's involvement until the takeover was completed? I don't think it was common knowledge.

Venky's might have passed the box-ticking exercise, but that's a different thing from them being suitable owners.

• Backroom

Perhaps mate. It's probably one of those where 'agree to disagree' is the best course.

Interestingly enough, re: Anderson, I seem to recall him being mentioned when Shah initially turned up, or am I dreaming that? I also remember there being rumours that Shah actually had Venkys as investors, who then decided they could do it themselves.

Could it be that Shah may have been the sensible chairman ahead of the Looney Pune investors?

That is most definitely not the case.

They could have separated Brockhall but Rovers were sold whole and complete.

Not that it's anything to do with us really but I wonder where that 23 mill went and does the trust even still exist ? The Walker family are usually mentioned in the areas rich list but no sign this time unless I'm mistaken. Has it all been broken up, if so there's no chance of them ever riding to the rescue in the future I don't suppose :(

• Moderation Lead

Not that it's anything to do with us really but I wonder where that 23 mill went and does the trust even still exist ? The Walker family are usually mentioned in the areas rich list but no sign this time unless I'm mistaken. Has it all been broken up, if so there's no chance of them ever riding to the rescue in the future I don't suppose :(

They're still very wealthy, my girlfriend knows a couple of the grandkids (in their 20s now to be fair) and they aren't struggling let's put it that way.......

They're still very wealthy, my girlfriend knows a couple of the grandkids (in their 20s now to be fair) and they aren't struggling let's put it that way.......

No doubt lol I was just wondering what happened to the Jack Walker 1987 Settlement trust itself. I know there has been a few court cases flying about in the background for a few years. I always clinged to the faint hope they'd swoop back in if/when the V's bail or we go bust and we are available for a quid !

• Backroom

Interestingly enough, re: Anderson, I seem to recall him being mentioned when Shah initially turned up, or am I dreaming that? I also remember there being rumours that Shah actually had Venkys as investors, who then decided they could do it themselves.

Could it be that Shah may have been the sensible chairman ahead of the Looney Pune investors?

As Anderson was helping Rothschilds to find a buyer, I assume he was involved in Shah, Syed and Venky's? They all came from the same place, after all.

I believe Shah took Venky's to court, claiming that they were supposed to be part of a joint-venture to buy Rovers, but Venky's backed out and ended up doing it themselves. No idea if that came to anything though.

It's a shame the Trust weren't a little more forward thinking. With the sharp increase in TV revenue over the past few years they could surely have started making a serious profit with Rovers if they'd been able to keep them in the PL for a couple more seasons. I can only assume they thought relegation was imminent (even though we'd finished comfortably in the PL most seasons) and wanted to sell before we went down and our value diminished.

• Moderation Lead

No doubt lol I was just wondering what happened to the Jack Walker 1987 Settlement trust itself. I know there has been a few court cases flying about in the background for a few years. I always clinged to the faint hope they'd swoop back in if/when the V's bail or we go bust and we are available for a quid !

I don't think any of them have any interest in football sadly!

• Backroom

As Anderson was helping Rothschilds to find a buyer, I assume he was involved in Shah, Syed and Venky's? They all came from the same place, after all.

I believe Shah took Venky's to court, claiming that they were supposed to be part of a joint-venture to buy Rovers, but Venky's backed out and ended up doing it themselves. No idea if that came to anything though.

It's a shame the Trust weren't a little more forward thinking. With the sharp increase in TV revenue over the past few years they could surely have started making a serious profit with Rovers if they'd been able to keep them in the PL for a couple more seasons. I can only assume they thought relegation was imminent (even though we'd finished comfortably in the PL most seasons) and wanted to sell before we went down and our value diminished.

If only they'd invested in Diarra when Hughes was here (instead of resorting to Vogel). We could've been riding high for a while longer. Might we even have bought Kompany?

*dreams*...

If only they'd invested in Diarra when Hughes was here (instead of resorting to Vogel). We could've been riding high for a while longer. Might we even have bought Kompany?

*dreams*...

You would think that Hughes' astute track record in the transfer market could persuade them to sanction £4m on a promising young midfielder with bags of resale value.

lol nope

Not much from your front room with respect.

A little harsh there GAV.

Im presuming Shaun doesnt go reading this Board but he could well argue that he aint crossing the Venkys grubby palms with cash.

A very fine line between those that go/dont go for Venky reasons ...

A little harsh there GAV.

Im presuming Shaun doesnt go reading this Board but he could well argue that he aint crossing the Venkys grubby palms with cash.

A very fine line between those that go/dont go for Venky reasons ...

Whatever the reason for not going, and people have plenty, there's more than a stench of hypocrisy asking what 'we're going to do' when you've not set foot in Ewood for years.

Surprised I needed to explain that to be honest.

Not much from your front room with respect.

Try to be mature this time. What are you doing about it? As you are always saying, and jumping on members constantly, about how Venkys should be targeted before the manager give us your proposal? I'm doing my bit in my own way as I see fit. What anyone thinks of that I care precious little. Give me some hope. Something we can galvanise behind. Something that will make a difference. Can't you see your feeding the problem with your fan vs fan attitude?

Or is this topic still going to be rambling on about a business decision by the trust in 2 years time? I'm in your corner. I want the fckers out asap. Then their stooges. Then I can go back to E02.

Archived