BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Medaless Judas Team

ABBEY

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Duff won back to back Premier League titles and Bellamy won the league cup and was runner up in Champions League.

They did well after leaving.

Duff flopped when he left Ewood, medals or not.

David May won the champions league.......

Bellamy was absolute quality, medals or not.

Duff flopped when he left Ewood, medals or not.

David May won the champions league.......

Bellamy was absolute quality, medals or not.

You and I are are poles apart on pretty much everything but I agree re Bellamy. Duff wasn't a flop in the slightest though. Big Fish in a small pond here, excellent player in an excellent team at Chelsea.

You and I are are poles apart on pretty much everything but I agree re Bellamy. Duff wasn't a flop in the slightest though. Big Fish in a small pond here, excellent player in an excellent team at Chelsea.

Bunkum.

Duff flopped, he spent 2 seasons at Chelsea then disappeared into obscurity for the next 10yrs and did nothing else in his career.

Chris Price threatened to go on strike if he didn't get his move to Villa. Then a few years down the track when we had Jack's money and Dalglish at the helm he was happy to come back.

I think I was one of the few of a largely drunken Rovers support at Grimsby who didn't welcome him back with open arms on his return game.

Sad how you think winning the Worthington Cup in a Blue and White shirt would be the pinnacle of a professional footballer ' career. Duff must hate looking at those Championship winners medals whilst thinking of all those wasted nights in the Champions League and going to World Cups etc. playing in front of over 50,000 Geordies until the legs started to give and then slumming it in Fulham - desperately wondering where it all went wrong after leaving Rovers.

Bunkum.

Duff flopped, he spent 2 seasons at Chelsea then disappeared into obscurity for the next 10yrs and did nothing else in his career.

Bunkum indeed.

Besides which he was hardly a Judas, he didn't want to leave.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone from leaving for better opportunities, as long as they did it in a respectful manner.

Personally I have far more of a problem with those who took the money and did nothing whatsoever for the club e.g. Murphy, Best, Orr, Vogel, McKinley etc than those who did well then moved on.

There a lot of names on this thread who I wouldn't describe as a "judas" type. I though that's what Abbey was originally referring to?

Warnock in fact didn't want go if I recall correctly. Duff didn't either I think.

I'm not sure about Warnock but I do seem to recall that his agent was busy in the press ( stand to be corrected on that, the memory isn't what it used to be)

I'm sure Duff didn't agitate for a move. I think it was a combination of a mega wage offer, the chance to be in at the start of a project at Chelski and the club getting an offer they couldn't turn down. Absolutely gutted when he went. What a player.

Whereas if he had stayed at Rovers he would have won more?

That wasn't the question now was it?

I certainly don't class him as a judas, as Baz said I don't think he wanted to leave.

Despite Pedros best attempts to convince me that playing for Newcastle is some sort of honour, Duffs career went nowhere after 2 seasons at Chelsea.

Duff and Robben formed the most dangerous wing partnership in the league for two seasons.

Got to say that his thread is the wrong way round.

How many players have actually achieved a great deal more after leaving? That'd be a harder list to come up with. Phil Jones, Duff, Bellamy and May are the only ones I can really think of. Other players have gone on to play for bigger clubs but none have really won anything.

I certainly don't class him as a judas, as Baz said I don't think he wanted to leave.

Despite Pedros best attempts to convince us that playing for Newcastle is some sort of honour, Duffs career went nowhere after 2 seasons at Chelsea.

But look at what he won in those two seasons.. That's the point. He won the premier league twice. Regardless of what happened afterwards, I really don't think he did too badly when he left Rovers.

It's all about opinions Magic, but his career was over by 2006 when he was shipped out of Chelsea. For possibly the best winger in Europe at the time I don't think he fulfilled his potential when he left here, despite winning the league with Chelsea.

The original post in this thread asked for players that left Rovers and went on to win nothing, So Duff doesn't belong in this thread at all.

I'd also argue that Alan Shearer breaking the all time Newcastle goalscoring record means more to him than his league title medal here.

Craig Bellamy, David May, David Batty and Chris Sutton went on to play in the champions league after leaving here. Even David Bentley had a cracking first season after leaving here before his careerr started to fall apart.

Whilst there isn't that many medals between them it's a complete myth that players achieve nothing when leaving Ewood.

Next time I'll read the thread properly before posting, but my point still stands about Duffer.

Tim Sherwood and Eric Hall orchestrated his move to Spurs, did he win anything? I don't think he did?

Chris Price threatened to go on strike if he didn't get his move to Villa. Then a few years down the track when we had Jack's money and Dalglish at the helm he was happy to come back.

I think I was one of the few of a largely drunken Rovers support at Grimsby who didn't welcome him back with open arms on his return game.

He came to us from Hereford, I think. That makes his attitude even worse.

Next time I'll read the thread properly before posting, but my point still stands about Duffer.

Tim Sherwood and Eric Hall orchestrated his move to Spurs, did he win anything? I don't think he did?

Undoubtedly the peak of Duffs career were the two seasons at Chelsea where he was superb. Sure the wheels came off but you can hardly say he was a flop after Rovers. He was a flop after Chelsea. Of everyone who has left Rovers in the last 20 years Duff managed to make the most of it, even if he packed it all into two years.

On the other hand someone here said Bentley had a good first season for Spurs? Is that right? I think - one hatrick against Arsenal aside - he was consistently atrocious? One of the biggest failures of all time for the price tag.

David May, Champions League winner? Oh how time, and drink ;), erode memories. David May may have been leading the celebrations in Barcelona but he didn't play a single minute in the Champions League that season. However as he played in the 1996 FA Cup final so he has no place here after all :)

Despite Pedros best attempts to convince me that playing for Newcastle is some sort of honour, Duffs career went nowhere after 2 seasons at Chelsea.

He won medals and played hundreds of Premier League games for a great number of years after he left us, not too shabby. If he had stayed (or even come back after his stint at Chelsea) the result would have been more or less exactly the same.

Eamonn Rogers was probably one of the best players we had left when we got relegated in 1971, He ended up being swapped for Barry "Dumper" Endean. I don't think he really wanted to go but was part of Ken Furphys shake up at the club. He picked up injuries at Charlton and was out of the game within three years, Probably not fair to label him a judas though.

Think what this thread shows is whilst some do well after leaving us most don't.

Now that's a very interesting point imo. Does it mean we make players better than they actually are? That players are absolute numpties when choosing their next move? That it's too easy to look decent at Rovers? That Rovers actually are (were) a better club than we're made out to be?

Whilst we're all contesting Duff and May (neither should be on that list) for every contestable name there's half a dozen others who clearly bomb away from Rovers, which speaks volumes.

Archived