BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

Portugal have been steel; looked weak at times, Croatia who looked very good had one player say Portugal was one of the most awful teams there after Croatia lost to Portugal.

But I love it, new winners, not the same ol' same ol' teams.

They deserve credit.

They finished 3rd in their group but I looked at it after they had gotten by Croatia and thought, they actually had a good route to the final.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like somebody had to put a plate over the trophy. Covering up the French name? :P

2A1C2132-832F-4A07-937F-895E3BE05D36.jpg

Lol. Engraver's stencil but it is a funny thought.

Along similar lines, there's a video doing the rounds this morning of the France open top bus with "Merci, Champions d'Europe" emblazoned on the side of it in readiness for their victory celebrations being overtaken on the motorway. Sorry, I don't know how to embed it onto this site or I would have posted it - it is hilarious and I can just imagine the uproar had that been England in similar circumstances.

Here is a link to it https://www.facebook.com/TheFootyCommunity/videos/vb.639087909492017/1079688382098632/?type=2&theater

Both Germany and France could quite easily handle this Portuguese team. It could be a really disappointing final in terms of competitiveness.

muttley.gif

Just kidding, most everyone thought along these lines.

Lol. Engraver's stencil but it is a funny thought.

Along similar lines, there's a video doing the rounds this morning of the France open top bus with "Merci, Champions d'Europe" emblazoned on the side of it in readiness for their victory celebrations being overtaken on the motorway. Sorry, I don't know how to embed it onto this site or I would have posted it - it is hilarious and I can just imagine the uproar had that been England in similar circumstances.

Here is a link to it https://www.facebook.com/TheFootyCommunity/videos/vb.639087909492017/1079688382098632/?type=2&theater

I'd sort of like to know the rest of the story, overconfidence or just ordinary preparations?

Anyway, I was in a pub in 2006 when I watched France defeat Portugal in the knockout rounds of the World Cup; France has beaten them 3 times in total in these big tournaments, ('00 and '82). There were Portugal fans at that pub and their hearts and faces sunk at the result of that '06 game. I had to feel sorry for them. Good for Portugal; that '06 team had Deco and Figo on it, thought to be darn good in their own right. This team overachieved but there we have it!

A new champion, Iceland and Wales performing fantastically. I'm still absorbing this.

Some don't like the new format. Some are doomsayers, I don't think it's too bad. Perhaps the last 2 Euros were better in game quality though.

If two countries host the tournament, that means 14 invited teams. That's too few really and some of the groups in the past still weren't too good.

I think the group stage succeeded this time, a lot of fairly good matches in the group stage games.

• Backroom

muttley.gif

You have to say fair play to Portugal. Once Ronaldo went off they adapted superbly. France became desperate in the second half and lost their composure. They reminded me of England, plenty of possession but largely impotent in front of goal. The reality is that France aren't even that good. If you look at their performances throughout the tournament they were nothing special, so perhaps I overestimated them. Without Griezmann they wouldn't have been anywhere near the final. There were no outstanding teams in this tournament, all either froze at a major point or had a weak link which was ultimately their undoing.

muttley.gif

I'd sort of like to know the rest of the story, overconfidence or just ordinary preparations?

Anyway, I was in a pub in 2006 when I watched France defeat Portugal in the knockout rounds of the World Cup; France has beaten them 3 times in total in these big tournaments, ('00 and '82). There were Portugal fans at that pub and their hearts and faces sunk at the result of that '06 game. I had to feel sorry for them. Good for Portugal; that '06 team had Deco and Figo on it, thought to be darn good in their own right. This team overachieved but there we have it!

A new champion, Iceland and Wales performing fantastically. I'm still absorbing this.

Some don't like the new format. Some are doomsayers, I don't think it's too bad. Perhaps the last 2 Euros were better in game quality though.

If two countries host the tournament, that means 14 invited teams. That's too few really and some of the groups in the past still weren't too good.

I think the group stage succeeded this time, a lot of fairly good matches in the group stage games.

You've done a valuable job during the tournament, Audax. Thanks for some really interesting insights and discussion.

I listenened to Shearer bemoaning the quality as a whole, last night and I really disagree with him.

The gap in international football is closing (particularly from a defensive point of view), most of the minnows competed and had standout moments.

I enjoyed many of the close tussells. Many games were struggles, lacking a magical moment, but I still found them compelling and interesting.

It may be a personal preference, but I enjoy chess like games too.

I think history will view this tournament differently in the years to come.

The giant killings and a shock final result are enough on their own to look back with fondness.

Lots of memorable moments.

• Backroom

You've done a valuable job during the tournament, Audax. Thanks for some really interesting insights and discussion.

I listenened to Shearer bemoaning the quality as a whole, last night and I really disagree with him.

The gap in international football is closing (particularly from a defensive point of view), most of the minnows competed and had standout moments.

I enjoyed many of the close tussells. Many games were struggles, lacking a magical moment, but I still found them compelling and interesting.

It may be a personal preference, but I enjoy chess like games too.

I think history will view this tournament differently in the years to come.

The giant killings and a shock final result are enough on their own to look back with fondness.

Lots of memorable moments.

I thought Shearer was pretty accurate. The quality of the tournament was average at best, and being able to qualify despite coming third in a group of four brings the legitimacy of the tournament into question imo. No problem with expanding the number of teams but this wasn't the best way to do it.

Yes but the problem is that the gap is closing, by the better teams getting worse!

Thank you for the kind words. Humbled.

I've got to say, I rewatched the replay,

In the 107th minute, Koscielny is erroneously given a yellow card for a handlball; they show the replay, Eder handled it.

Those things happen in football; bad calls. It is not a real big deal.

Then, a free kick is given to Portugal, Eder almost scores, hits the cross bar, the goalkeeper Lloris likewise jumps towards the ball, eventually play slows down, France throws it in, Portugal takes control and by the 109th minute, Eder scores with that excellent strike.

Still, that was quite close and obviously, if Eder had rightfully been given that yellow card, France had been given a goal kick, I think that would have been the correct call; we possibly could be looking at a different result.

But those things happen, I don't want to take from Portugal. They deserve full credit.

The above might not be easy to understand but maybe if one sees what I'm talking about, they might have an opinion on that.

-----------

It's like in 1966 and that goal, the game itself should never have been drawn up, they gave Germany a free kick they drew it up on. That free kick should have been given to England.

Those things happen, one just hopes the breaks even out. I even heard one person opine that France went after Ronaldo. Looked rather innocent of an encounter to me.

Alan Willey (born 18 October 1956 at Houghton-le-Spring, England) was a soccer player originally from England who spent most of his playing career in the United States. He is a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Willey

Not to make a big deal of this, I understand this footballer from the UK actually lives close to me in the USA.

He does commentary on the local club here, watched it on tv Saturday. He was in the old NASL which also had Pele, the Kaiser, George Best even.

In the 107th minute, Koscielny is erroneously given a yellow card for a handlball; they show the replay, Eder handled it.

Then, a free kick is given to Portugal, Eder almost scores, hits the cross bar, the goalkeeper Lloris likewise jumps towards the ball, eventually play slows down, France throws it in, Portugal takes control and by the 109th minute, Eder scores with that excellent strike.

Still, that was quite close and obviously, if Eder had rightfully been given that yellow card, France had been given a goal kick, I think that would have been the correct call; we possibly could be looking at a different result.

But those things happen, I don't want to take from Portugal. They deserve full credit.

The above might not be easy to understand but maybe if one sees what I'm talking about, they might have an opinion on that.

-----------

It's like in 1966 and that goal, the game itself should never have been drawn up, they gave Germany a free kick they drew it up on. That free kick should have been given to England.

Those things happen, one just hopes the breaks even out. I even heard one person opine that France went after Ronaldo. Looked rather innocent of an encounter to me.

I thought the same at the time. Really poor decision from Clattenberg. He was in a good position too, just completely made the wrong call. I don't think Portugal would have scored had that not happened.

Seem to remember Benni coming on as sub and scoring a cracker from the JW touchine into the BBE against Arsenal? Correct me if I'm wrong. (Not as good as Matt Le Tissier's 35 yarder into the BBE which had the whole ground giving a standing ovation). Anyone put dates to these please?

Seem to remember Benni coming on as sub and scoring a cracker from the JW touchine into the BBE against Arsenal? Correct me if I'm wrong. (Not as good as Matt Le Tissier's 35 yarder into the BBE which had the whole ground giving a standing ovation). Anyone put dates to these please?

Benni's goal was 28 Feb 2007...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX-wYuqFBxo

-----------

These things happen all the time. A linesman gives a throw the wrong way or a corner instead of a goal kick. The butterfly effect is that the whole course of the game changes. Can't blame Clartenburg for the goal unless the direct free kick had gone in. The defender should have closed him down and not given him so much time. I think it was Pogba who gave him a real earful afterwards.

On the handball itself, both players had their hands outstretched and Clattenburg 'saw' the wrong hand. Defenders should know better. Had he got it right it would have been described as world class. I was more disappointed that he didn't take action against a clear (modern) foul which ended Ronaldo's match. You cannot take ball and player these days. There have been many a punished player because of it. So maybe that's your evening out right there. A gift for France in allowing them a free go at the best player on the pitch and him going off. But instead it galvanised Portugal.

• Backroom

I even heard one person opine that France went after Ronaldo. Looked rather innocent of an encounter to me.

I don't think there was anything malicious in it, just Payet letting Ronaldo know he was there. Payet got a knee to the back a short time later from a Portugal player doing the same thing.

I think the French players lost some belief when they hit the post right at the end. They had been attacking for the full 90 minutes, essentially, and I can't imagine they were looking forward to another half an hour. Portugal meanwhile had soaked up the pressure quite comfortably and seemed happy to take it to penalties if need be. As it stands they got a chance and put it away. Such is football. If Griezmann had put away two good chances in normal time the game would have been over.

UEFA released it's team of the tournament yesterday; http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2389933.html

For those who can't be bothered clicking it's;

Rui Patricio

Kimmich Boateng Pepe Raphael Guerreiro

Kroos Joe Allen

Payet Griezmann Ramsey

Ronaldo

As ever some are worthy, others aren't. Those who voted in Ronaldo obviously forgot his horror shows against Austria and Iceland in the group stages. His non-performances against Croatia and Poland, and his 20 minute appearance in the final. Well done sponsors*.

Edit; *sorry, this lot;

UEFA's 13-strong panel of technical observers, Ioan Lupescu, Sir Alex Ferguson, Alain Giresse, David Moyes, Packie Bonner, Mixu Paatelainen, Savo Milošević, Peter Rudbæk, Gareth Southgate, Thomas Schaaf, Jean-François Domergue, Ginés Meléndez and Jean-Paul Brigger.

I did hear something about Payet, I watched the play again, I don't think it was that bad. And this story:

Payet: I did not mean to hurt Ronaldo

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2016/July/11/payet-i-did-not-mean-to-hurt-ronaldo/n814859/

"No, it was a challenge, that's all, period," Payet told reporters after the match. "I regained the possession and if I hurt him it was not intentional.

"It's not in my nature to be a bad guy on the pitch. There is no question about it."

Nani was excellent, better than usual when he was at Man Utd imo. Outstanding performances by a few players on Portugal and not really bad ones by any. Some would say the group stage but in retrospect, I don't know about that. To think Portugal had to fight for their tournament life to draw Hungary who I think kept on going a goal ahead of them. Final 3-3. Rui De La Costa, Portugal's goalkeeper was topnotch except maybe against Hungary.

Archived