BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

I think LR was watching a different Berkovic.

Pedro summed him up perfectly. Naturally gifted, saw the game differently to most.

He was vital, particularly in away games. 2 standout performances I remember were QPR and Grimsby away.

Wonderful away days.

As for people picking faults in Alan Shearer, I can't comprehend it.

I was disappointed in Stapleton. He scored 10 ish, but never really shone. He was ready to pack it in then.

Today's signings: Ward spoke well. It's years since I paid close attention to him though.

Will he be an upgrade on Kilgallon? who i quite like.

He can look class one week, but when he's off his game it really shows (inconsistancy probably comes with not having a run in the side though).

Pleased with the Graham signing, seems hungry and keen to prove a point.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But don't professional players have media training to say such positive things these days ?

i absolutely don't doubt they do.But for them to be asked to comment on issues such as fitness, high expectations, raising standards etc then there has to be an underlying reason i.e these are areas that need addressing by Lambert/reason for these signings.

No coincidence these are the areas being pushed. Areas of concern within current squad????

For what it's worth I believe ward has been brought in to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our 1st choice CB. At 31 he is pretty much in his prime and widely accepted as being a very good Champ defender.

Bournmouth are on a massive upwards curve and have millions to spend so they're letting him go.

For me, we badly need experience in every department and Duffy (and Hanley) are pretty erratic and young. Wouldn't surprise me if Ward became a Moran type presence. He's signed a 2.5 year contract aged 31, he's not come to be our fourth choice CB. Imo

Oh and I'm pretty sure he wasn't told to say those things about Lambert. Just doesn't happen.

For what it's worth I believe ward has been brought in to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our 1st choice CB. At 31 he is pretty much in his prime and widely accepted as being a very good Champ defender.

Bournmouth are on a massive upwards curve and have millions to spend so they're letting him go.

For me, we badly need experience in every department and Duffy (and Hanley) are pretty erratic and young. Wouldn't surprise me if Ward became a Moran type presence. He's signed a 2.5 year contract aged 31, he's not come to be our fourth choice CB. Imo

Oh and I'm pretty sure he wasn't told to say those things about Lambert. Just doesn't happen.

I think he has come here to play as well. Hanley has been superb since Lambert arrived, so i would hazard a guess that Duffy is under pressure. Although he has played well his distribution is not a strong area of his game, this is an area we need to improve on.

On Graham i think this one could work out. As fans, I think we will take to his work rate, but the lad will need a goal or two off his backside to take some pressure off early doors.

If we could sneak some form of attacking midfielder in before the end of the window then i would take that.

Don't forget that we still desperately need pace as well as creativity (we're not going to stumble across the next Messi with two in one). As I've said I've been told that Jackson isn't nearly as quick as he used to be. So priorities now IMO (either first will do!):

Pacey wideman

Somebody who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass in CM

Sheff Wednesday have bought Gary hooper for £3m surely one we should've been in for?!

Will you be stumping up the £3m to pay for him?

On the signings front, quite pleased with the recent two. Some experienced heads good move by Lambert, let's hope these lads lead us up the table too.

I have seen Ward and he is different to Hanley and Duffy in that he is far more composed in possession and can pass the ball. I agree he will be first choice and the competition should see Hanley and Duffy come out of their comfort zone.

For me he is a shrewd signing.

Don't forget that we still desperately need pace as well as creativity (we're not going to stumble across the next Messi with two in one). As I've said I've been told that Jackson isn't nearly as quick as he used to be. So priorities now IMO (either first will do!):

Pacey wideman

Somebody who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass in CM

Spoke to someone who watched Jackson in an U21 game and they said he was 'S@#t off a shovel'. Suggested he had been bought to bring on in last 20/30 and use his pace when people tiring.

Will you be stumping up the £3m to pay for him?

On the signings front, quite pleased with the recent two. Some experienced heads good move by Lambert, let's hope these lads lead us up the table too.

Would put us back in embargo come summer. If we wait until the summer we have much more breathing space as the next period is over three years.

I have seen Ward and he is different to Hanley and Duffy in that he is far more composed in possession and can pass the ball. I agree he will be first choice and the competition should see Hanley and Duffy come out of their comfort zone.

Maybe Rhodes will be the first to benefit , the hoofs Hanley and Duffy play to him are cringeworthy at times

He's got to be that experienced partner that Grants been crying out for surely.

Maybe Rhodes will be the first to benefit , the hoofs Hanley and Duffy play to him are cringeworthy at times

If we begin to pass the ball out, everyone will benefit. Duffy especially is crude with his distribution.

Bring it on.

He's got to be that experienced partner that Grants been crying out for surely.

Exactly, it's also why the likes of Gibson and Hoolahan would be inspired signings.

Great business so far. Shrewd and inexpensive. Very little risk financially. Proof that the manager is making the signings..

I still think the best is yet to come in this window. Let's wait and see!

I wouldnt be surprised if we now use 3 at the back at times.

We have players suited to playing wing backs and the centre of midfield could certainly do with an extra body in there.

Let apkan sit and give the other 2 centre mids a bit more license to get forward more

Great point. I haven't seen Ward but this is exactly what Iv heard. A composed, calming influence. 31 is like 28in CB terms. Could be the best signing we make.

Great point. I haven't seen Ward but this is exactly what Iv heard. A composed, calming influence. 31 is like 28in CB terms. Could be the best signing we make.

I agree about the best signing. Centre back is the one position where reading the game is one of the main criteria. I think he has been a good pro, looked after himself and is of the right character.

I agree about the best signing. Centre back is the one position where reading the game is one of the main criteria.

Yes it is. Duffys only attribute for me, is that he's big and can head the ball away - but all centre halves can do that. What distinguishes the good centre halves from the crude ones is their decision making. They know when to clear their lines and they know and can bring it down and play it out. Playing it out short gives you the basis to play your football.

Any posters think Duffy is a good player, yet bemoan the hoofball?

I personally think Hanley and Duffy are very similar, both big blood and thunder type centre halves, liable to make as many mistakes as they do tackles. Those sort of players are great providing you have a reader of the game next to them. They can get involved in engaging the forwards so the second CB can drop and act as a sweeper half the time. Its pretty simple stuff really isn't it, one goes ball and one drops. Grant has always looked a much better player when he has had a cool head next to him talking him through the game. If it became a straight choice between Hanley or Duffy there is only one winner IMO.

Whilst our defensive shape has improved a great deal under PL I think having a cool head at CB will improve it even further, there have still been occasions when you see both Hanley and Duffy charging around leaving gaping holes at the back.

Is there a restriction of 2 on the numbers of players a Championship club can have on loan from the PL at any time? I seem to recall this and, if so, it would preclude a loan move for Gibson.

Lawrences loan ends at the end of Jan, so if it is the case they may not renew his if they want Gibson

I think the rules are that you can have 4 loans in a season (5 if Youth loans) and I think there is a restriction of 2 standard loans per season on over 23 loans.

I wonder if this is why Ward was a termination and sign, rather than a loan till the end of season then sign like is the norm. Saves us 1 slot

Archived