BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Whe you think about it, what the hell does technically even mean in football? That you can prat around with a ball?

Give me brilliantly effective over technically brilliant any day.

When they refer to a player as being technical, it's normally meant to reference a specific attribute he is good at. Normally you would hear about him being technically gifted, either control of a ball, or the manner in which he plays etc.

Tugay was a prime example of a technically sound player, based on his range of passing and his ability on the ball. Not everybody has that ability or range of passing.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they refer to a player as being technical, it's normally meant to reference a specific attribute he is good at. Normally you would hear about him being technically gifted, either control of a ball, or the manner in which he plays etc.

Tugay was a prime example of a technically sound player, based on his range of passing and his ability on the ball. Not everybody has that ability or range of passing.

Tugay is a great example of a " technically good " player. His mastery of the ball was total. Anything that came his way was instantly killed and played into a position to be passed on in one move. He could keep his head up most of the time and his passing of the ball was a joy to watch.

People praising Shearer focus on his ability to strike the ball with his right foot. He was truly awesome in that respect. I know it sounds like heresy on here but there were other aspects of his game that weren't that great.

What is 'techincal ability' then if Shearer didn't have it.

Tremendous control, heading ability, short range, long range shooting, movement, awareness, great crosser of the ball.

Oh but he didn't throw in a Cruyff turn or two.

During Shearer's prime years at Ewood a mate of mine once got talking to Tim Flowers at some charity do. My mate was asking him about Shearer, and Flowers said something along the lines of Shearer isn't a natural goalscorer. He doesn't place it in the goal, he just whacks it and hopes for the best.

During Shearer's prime years at Ewood a mate of mine once got talking to Tim Flowers at some charity do. My mate was asking him about Shearer, and Flowers said something along the lines of Shearer isn't a natural goalscorer. He doesn't place it in the goal, he just whacks it and hopes for the best.

For the amount of goals Shearer scored, hit and hope for the best? think Flowers was talking out of his backside tbh.

He must have been talking about Duncan Shearer.

He hit the ball that hard that unless it actually hit the goalkeeper it was going in. Best policy.

Gordan Cowans, Kevin Moran, Tugay, David Speedie.......honestly are you serious. We need experience in this side. I despair when i see posts of this nature......

imagine if we signed frank stapleton now (you know what I mean).....heaven forbifd Ardiles or Archibald

imagine if we signed frank stapleton now (you know what I mean).....heaven forbifd Ardiles or Archibald

Frank Stapleton's best days weren't at Ewood. Maybe that makes me a Staplleton hater. Ardiles ? World class player who was crocked as soon as he arrived so never got a chance to show us what he could do. Archibald ? A great loan signing that got the town buzzing.

I expect he was joking.

Did you rate Stapleton when he was here? I thought he was really sluggish and disappointing (I was only a kid though). Speedie on the other hand - lively and absolutely awesome.

Did you rate Stapleton when he was here? I thought he was really sluggish and disappointing (I was only a kid though). Speedie on the other hand - lively and absolutely awesome.

Like I said Stapleton's best days were behind him when he came to Ewood. He was a trier but his pace had gone to a great extent.

Speedie was great. What we wouldn't give for a player like him now. Great skill and a fantastic, never say die, attitude. No lost causes while he was playing.

People praising Shearer focus on his ability to strike the ball with his right foot. He was truly awesome in that respect. I know it sounds like heresy on here but there were other aspects of his game that weren't that great.

I can't think of any TS. He had everything a centre forward needed - close control under pressure with the ball at any height below head height. Strength, power, Stamina, heading ability, footballing brain, passing ability, could form a partnership with anyone, created space for himself and others, best right winger in the club.

I can't think of any TS. He had everything a centre forward needed - close control under pressure with the ball at any height below head height. Strength, power, Stamina, heading ability, footballing brain, passing ability, could form a partnership with anyone, created space for himself and others, best right winger in the club.

His left foot was a swinger Den. After his injury he wasn't the quickest. I thought his actual control of the ball was good in spite of his " bag of cement " quote. He could run past people and sometimes through people but he couldn't go around them with dribbling skill.

I know I'm being picky here but those were the things missing from his game. Of course all his strengths that you list made him a formidable player for Rovers. He was still as good as anybody in Europe at the time. You could argue he was the best in Europe at the time although Batistuta would have his supporters.

Can we have the historic speaking in a separate section please? Just if this was any further off transfer talk, we would be debating the weather?

Bit cold today, hopefully warming up for the weekend.

Creative CM next please Mr Lambert. Someone like Berkovic or Tugay would be ideal.

Vital Norwich page suggesting that 7 Championship clubs are in for Steven Whittaker, he signed for Norwich a 3 weeks after Lambert left for Villa but undoubtedly he will have been watching him if this is the case, fellow Scotsman also and we're short a right back.

That sounds a bit historic to me. If you were born yesterday you would have a clue who Berkovic or Tugay were or why you would want to sign a player like them.

I think most Rovers fans know Tugay, and Berkovic was someone we brought in on loan whilst in this league, hence using him as a reference.

I don't know if he's available, if we could afford him, or if he'd want to come, but Jordi Gomes at Sunderland is someone with that ball-playing capability.

Archived