BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAL's posts are like a siren call. You know you shouldn't look but you can't help yourself. Then you inevitably have your spirit dashed on the rocks.

They certainly seem to go that extra mile to point certain things out.

Your game???

Please explain?

Ive give an opinion. Problem with some posters on here is they DONT LIKE different opinions to theirs.

Chaddy I'm defending you mate. I've got a very sarcastic way about me. It's not a pleasant trait i admit. But rest assured I wasn't having a dig. Well not at you anyway.

If Rhodes is sold, League 1 here we come.

Not sure about that.

We have a proven manager and he knows what he wants.

He knows where Rovers need to improve squad and starting 11 wise.

But I have full confidence in him and prepare to back his judgement

I want promotion at the end of the day whether this is with Rhodes or not. We have had him for 3 years and never come close to promotion sadly.

Not sure about that.

We have a proven manager and he knows what he wants.

He knows where Rovers need to improve squad and starting 11 wise.

But I have full confidence in him and prepare to back his judgement

Does he want no leagues goals in open play? And strikers released by League 1 clubs?

Who else will score goals, I'll give you a clue, the same players who have contributed in Rhodes poor run of form, basically no one else.

Does he want no leagues goals in open play? And strikers released by League 1 clubs?

Who else will score goals, I'll give you a clue, the same players who have contributed in Rhodes poor run of form, basically no one else.

I suggest we back Lambert judgement and trust him.

We have a proven manager.

Plus it depends who Lambert would replace him with and also strength the team to make us more of a all round team.

I know who I would sign as replacement for Rhodes if he ever left/was sold

How we supply Rhodes is the issue and not Rhodes. Why we are dying to kill the golden goose god only knows. I would've sold him 18 months ago when we had Rudy. That way we still had a source of goals and may have stayed out of FFP but now he is our only goalscorer and not sure how we stay up without him.

• Backroom

Yes and it is crap, selling a top striker when what we need is a midfield to support him

How do we get that midfield? Either spend money we don't have (nope), sell Rhodes and reinvest (possible but I hope not), or be bloody crafty in the loan market (hope so)!

How we supply Rhodes is the issue and not Rhodes. Why we are dying to kill the golden goose god only knows. I would've sold him 18 months ago when we had Rudy. That way we still had a source of goals and may have stayed out of FFP but now he is our only goalscorer and not sure how we stay up without him.

Great post

How do we get that midfield? Either spend money we don't have (nope), sell Rhodes and reinvest (possible but I hope not), or be bloody crafty in the loan market (hope so)!

How much did Alan Judge cost Brentford? :blush:

Not sure about that.

If you subtract Rhodes goals this season, we have scored 13 goals.

If you add the goals that players have scored this season who have joined us since the start of the season (Tom Lawrence fig's included in above stats) the figure goes up to... erm... 13 goals....

I love the way that every time Rhodes is mentioned in the media, his asking price drops a little.

Last week he was "in excess of £12 million".

This week he is "in excess of £10 million".

As for Master Cross of the Daily Mirror. In my experience he is very unreliable stories wise...

Only way I could be happy to see Rhodes go is if a club paid the same sort of fee we got for Shearer, and even then Lambert would have to get all the money back to spend.

This Rhodes keep or sell debate bores the pants off me. I trust Lambert to do whats best and at this point i couldnt care less who leaves given the performances the past 3 years, the only thing thats going to improve us are the potential players coming in.

People need to remember that it matters not one jot what we would like to do or even what Paul Lambert would like to do. Venkys are the important factor here, and unless they've had a major change of heart in the last 6 months then Rhodes won't be sold.

They showed with the Middlesbrough saga, that even when the money would have been very useful to the club, even when Bowyer/Shaw had the deal lined up, even when Rhodes himself had a little tantrum, and Middlesbrough repeatedly agitated to try and make the move happen, that none of it mattered in the end because one or more of the family didn't want him to go.

I don't accept Rhodes has the look of a man who doesnt want to be at the club. I think he is a fantastic professional, and even when he was denied a move to Middlesbrough didn't kick up a fuss, didn't play games, didn't submit a transfer request (probably encouraged to by certain people), he accepted the club's decision, got back to work, and went on to become the leading goalscorer in the division before his barren spell recently.

Now I don't think 9 goals in 16 games or whatever it was at the start of the season, despite starting the season with an ankle injury, points towards somebody who doesnt want to be here. And if he doesn't want to be here yet still starts the season off scoring better than a goal every other game then great.

As for Lambert's opinion, well I'd be very surprised if he had any desire to move out Rhodes at this juncture. I note how Lambert went to the trouble of giving him special mention in his press conference of how he would be as important as Holt and Benteke at his previous clubs. I could perhaps see him being receptive to the idea in the summer, but at present we're in a relegation scrap and Rhodes is our only goalscorer. To actively seek to sell him would be either a huge gamble or suicide. Its all well and good talking about how much money we could get for him, but we've got a week left in the window and Tom Lawrence is likely to depart at the end of it. Any suggestions on how you go about filling that sort of void in such a short period of time? Loans won't cut it I'm afraid. We need to build a strong squad. Not one dependent on other clubs players who can be taken away at short notice.

Then we get on to this idea that we have to sell our better players to generate funds to impove the squad, which is itself something of a paradox. We found out the hard way in losing King, Gestede and Cairney that if you make a habit of cashing in on assets then it comes back to bite you. You don't progress and improve as a squad and compete for promotion by regularly cashing in on your best players. Derby/Middlesbrough/Hull haven't done it. Nor should we. You keep your better players, move out your poorer players, and replace them with better. We need quality and depth if we are to compete. Not just a half decent 11 with nobody to step in from the bench.

I think he probably wants a change

Archived