BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players Who Never Fulfilled Their Potential

Was disappointed when Jay McEveley didn't seem to kick on after an impressive start. Seem to recall he had something of an attitude in training and caused some injuries?

Don't forget one of out finest strikers ever to grace the Ewood turf; Francis Jeffers. He was amazing for those few weeks at Everton before he moved to Arsenal.

Think it was the injury that did for McEveley, he looked good before that but turned into a bit of a clogger after. Just lost that spring in him, good left foot and seemed like a sound enough lad.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he still not at the club?

Yes but he's nowhere near he first team a this moment. Wasn't their a lot of discussion on here about alleged premier league league clubs after him last season.

What happened to him.

David Thompson

David Bentley

David Dunn

Matty Jansen

All could have got 50 caps for England if they hadn't been badly affected by injury, or in Bentleys case through attitude.

Apart from the obvious few Thompson was one of my favourites from he past 30 years. Such a tidy player with the hunger to match as well. Loved watching him

Off the top of my head:

Benni Mac

Seriously?

You think South Africa all time record goal scorer and Champions League winner Benni McCarthy (including two goals to KO Man Utd in the knockout stages) underachieved?

I'd say we got him after he had fulfilled his potential and was starting to decline, and those first two years he was still excellent.

Talking of Maceo Richters, did Ryan Babel not play in the Dutch U21s alongside him and move to Liverpool with a huge reputation. At 29, he's now playing at Al Ain after 2 years at Kasimpasa.

You do post some Bizare things these days! are you feeling ok?

unles it was a joke? by your standards we should add our entire squads of youth and under 21 players to this list

Some one must have thought they had potential, we did sign them

You do post some Bizare things these days! are you feeling ok?

unles it was a joke? by your standards we should add our entire squads of youth and under 21 players to this list

Have you seen the position in the league recently.

Who was the winger that Roy Hodgson signed from Gillingham ? - Jimmy Corbett or something similar. One of his first signings along Darren Peacock. Anyway he was supposed to be lightning fast and really tricky. Think we gave him back to Gillingham eventually.

More recently, I thought Jake Kean looked a great prospect when he first got the no 1 spot and looked full of confidence - including the win at Arsenal. Then he seemed to completely lose it. Not sure where he is now.

Failed to fulfil potential for us I'd say:

Grabbi

Bentley

Dunn

Phil Jones no better now than when he left us.

Ricters

Davis

Dahlin

patrik andersson who went to to captain barca and Sweden

England players who fail to reach potential usually come from wide positions:

Bentley again

Joe Cole

Wright Philips

Lennon

Dyer

Downing

Adam Johnson

Pennant

Richards I think he was called from citeh

Sure andros Townsend will be joining soon

The 90s saw an abundance of wasted attacking talent in an England shirt

John Barnes

Fowler

Ian Wright

Le tissier

Collymore

Gazza

Lee sharp

Even Sutton

Franny jeffers. Bit later

Then for rest of the world:

Robinho

Denison

Bendtner

Adriano

Freddy adu. Although not sure how good he was outside of champ man.

Who was the winger that Roy Hodgson signed from Gillingham ? - Jimmy Corbett or something similar. One of his first signings along Darren Peacock. Anyway he was supposed to be lightning fast and really tricky. Think we gave him back to Gillingham eventually.

More recently, I thought Jake Kean looked a great prospect when he first got the no 1 spot and looked full of confidence - including the win at Arsenal. Then he seemed to completely lose it. Not sure where he is now.

I remember Corbett getting injured very early on - I don't think he played a single game for Rovers and had to retire early. Randomly, I heard a story that he was working in a Boots somewhere down South.

Jake popped up on my radar in the 4th round of the cup - as Colchester's keeper. Worst defence of the 92 apparently 😂

Used to watch Treacy quite a bit in the U21's/reserves or whatever it was called at the time. I never got what the big deal about him was, people dressing him up as the next Duffer because he ran a bit like him and was Irish, no other similarities for me. He was strong for his age at the time so those kind of lads show up a bit but ability wise he was just workmanlike really, imo of course.

Yeah, Jimmy Corbett. Signed for £525k from Gillingham, but he broke his ankle in pre-season and never fully recovered.

Archived