BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theoretical Question!

I think you'd still get an okay price on that, given their respective positions. My money would be on Spurs and Celtic if I were doing a double.

Before the game last week you could still get 12-1 on The Dons. I put a tenner on Spurs the other day at 7s.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people insist we spent big on every player, most of our team cost peanuts even by the standards back then

Who said we did?

You can't ignore that we paid big money (at the time) for certain players, though.

I do like how we are either a small club or a big club, depending on what argument needs to be made!

If someone on Sky said that we were a small club and below Leicester in the pecking order, people would be absolutely furious and start pointing to our history compared to theirs. Rightly so too!

Yeah it is good. In my opinion we're a small club that's achieved more than most ahem "big clubs". Take Leeds for eg most of their fans consider them a big club but when you weigh up trophies it's rovers 3 leagues, 6 fa cups and 1 league cup vs Leeds 3 leagues, 1 fa cup, 1 league cup and 2 UEFA cups. Pretty comparable I'd say except we've won more major trophies. With history there are few that can compete.

As for original post Leicester winning would far outweigh us winning the league in as much as pre 95 we were one of favourites to win Leicester were pretty much bottom this time last year and one of bookies favourites to be relegated. Hope they do win it but can't see it.

Leicester have been playing like this since about last March so pretty much a full 12 months, I don't see any reason why they would stop now. Even if they don't win it, they'd still come 2nd or 3rd I think, can't see them crumbling.

I don't see them crumbling either. People say they will but can't actually offer any reasons why. Barring "any injury to Mahrez or Vardy and they're screwed", which you could say about the key players in all the other sides as well.

There's no outstanding side that they have to finish ahead of, like Chelsea last season or multiple sides of the past.

I have to admit that I didn't think they were genuine challengers until that game on Saturday though.

I think to ensure they win the title Ranieri needs to bring in Hector Cuper as his assistant.

Its FAR bigger if Leicester pull off a complete miracle. Newcastle got promoted as well and ALMOST won the title just a year later. OK they didn't quite get the job done but it proves that the step up from promotion to title challengers was nowhere near as big. Keegan was their inspiration but also their curse. It was his mistakes that cost them really.

• Backroom

Biggest ever achievement in English football if they win it. Compared to the top teams the finances make it impossible for lesser clubs to do what we did, or so perceived wisdom tells us. Others I can think of are Ipswich and Forest winning it at the 1st attempt but that was before the big money kicked it and with a good manager you could go far. Leicester would be a miracle. We were probably about 4th favourites to win the league the year we did it and amongst football people only Utd would have been more fancies than us, compare that to Leicester this year. Leicester are also nothing club with little history, compared to us anyway, they have come from nowhere.

Bollocking is it the biggest ever. By this stage, newly promoted Forest had won the League Cup, and would go on to win the league twice in succession as well as retaining the European Cup twice running.

Leicester have a long way to go to trump that (and I'd be delighted if they did).

Bollocking is it the biggest ever. By this stage, newly promoted Forest had won the League Cup, and would go on to win the league twice in succession as well as retaining the European Cup twice running.

Leicester have a long way to go to trump that (and I'd be delighted if they did).

Yeah but they did have Brian Clough...

I've thought about it long and hard, it's all about timing surely? We were the underdogs of our day. Jack was seen as a sugar daddy but only did what he could and did it brilliantly?

The top clubs are all in flux, Manure all over the place, Arse for all their continuity still aren't there! All the top Cubs want new managers, even Klopp having a hard time. Kenny had us as a proper team playing for each other, a bit like Ranieri? Equal (if they do it......long way yet?)

I've thought about it long and hard, it's all about timing surely? We were the underdogs of our day. Jack was seen as a sugar daddy but only did what he could and did it brilliantly?

The top clubs are all in flux, Manure all over the place, Arse for all their continuity still aren't there! All the top Cubs want new managers, even Klopp having a hard time. Kenny had us as a proper team playing for each other, a bit like Ranieri? Equal (if they do it......long way yet?)

I think some of the big clubs are in flux, but I think it's also a case that the rest of the league is catching them in terms of strength due to the increased TV money. A lot of clubs have individual attacking players that are good enough to grace any team in the league.

Who would have thought Stoke would be fielding the likes of Bojan and Shaqiri, and spending £18 million on a holding midfielder? This summer saw some other unbelievable signings; Payet at West Ham, Wijnaldum at Newcastle, Cabaye at Palace, Andre Ayew at Swansea etc. Then you have Harry Kane, Sadio Mane, Romelu Lukaku, Odion Ighalo etc playing outside the traditional top clubs.

It used to be that the rest of the PL was mainly filled with steady but unspectacular players. That's changing now, most teams have a potential match winner and it doesn't take much of an off day for these players to punish you, they could play for most teams in Europe.

I think some of the big clubs are in flux, but I think it's also a case that the rest of the league is catching them in terms of strength due to the increased TV money. A lot of clubs have individual attacking players that are good enough to grace any team in the league.

Who would have thought Stoke would be fielding the likes of Bojan and Shaqiri, and spending £18 million on a holding midfielder? This summer saw some other unbelievable signings; Payet at West Ham, Wijnaldum at Newcastle, Cabaye at Palace, Andre Ayew at Swansea etc. Then you have Harry Kane, Sadio Mane, Romelu Lukaku, Odion Ighalo etc playing outside the traditional top clubs.

It used to be that the rest of the PL was mainly filled with steady but unspectacular players. That's changing now, most teams have a potential match winner and it doesn't take much of an off day for these players to punish you, they could play for most teams in Europe.

Still got to gel the team, Kenny! We will see, sad we aren't anywhere near the top table!

getting into the champions league alone would be an incredible achievement for Leicester

one things for sure, I love Ranieri and always have, unlike a lot of the other top managers he's charm and dignity personified and has a great management record to boot.

Except for winning titles at several places he was supposed to.

I think it would be a greater achievement for Leicester and to be honest I hope they do it. Our name is on the Trophy and no amount of bitterness by the press can change that.

Exactly, both achievements would stand apart by difference circumstances but equal in merit.

I personally don't see them holding on, but watching them do well has made the league much more interesting compared to the monopoly of so called big 5 or 6, taking the same position and extra finance every season for years.

I barely even bothered with MOTD the season or two after we where relegated. Obviously, part of that annoyance at what had happened - but I've rarely missed it this season. I suspect that it may also be partly down to a hatred I share with Vinjay, watching Mufc flail and flop has been fun.

pardon? do you mean like mourhino should have won it(or been serious contenders) with chelsea again this year, NO manager can guarantee a title win

No its being at Napoli, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Valencia (again), Juventus, Roma, Inter and failing to win a single league title. There's a reason I made a joke about hiring Hector Cuper as his assistant.

No its being at Napoli, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Valencia (again), Juventus, Roma, Inter and failing to win a single league title. There's a reason I made a joke about hiring Hector Cuper as his assistant.

sorry I'm not a footy geek, all I know is he's a lovely fella and his record in this country is excellent

Archived