BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Has 13 Foreign Owners And Counting

Paul

So if Kenwright sells Everton to the Americans this potentially has huge ramifications for the Premier League and English football.

The PL requires a two-thirds majority of clubs to pass a vote on rule changes etc. Foreign owners would therefore be in the majority.

Anyone who has invested £100s millions might be interested in safeguarding the guaranteed £100m per season of TV income the PL provides. So voting for no relegation would be very attractive.

Everton fans must be pleased they can't stand that English guy Kenwright.

This is a ridiculous headline...

http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2016/02/americans-wont-meddle-in-day-to-day-running-of-everton/

They would have every right to "meddle" in the day to day running of their club. The fans wouldn't mind either as long as their "meddling" had a positive impact.

Everton fans must be pleased they can't stand that English guy Kenwright.

The Everton fans interviewed on TV were largely supportive of a takeover. As usual the presumption is tens of millions will immediately be available for team building and "investment." The only one to speak against was from Blue Kipper who didn't want to see Everton become a business which would earn ever increasing profits from the fans.

So if Kenwright sells Everton to the Americans this potentially has huge ramifications for the Premier League and English football.

The PL requires a two-thirds majority of clubs to pass a vote on rule changes etc. Foreign owners would therefore be in the majority.

Anyone who has invested £100s millions might be interested in safeguarding the guaranteed £100m per season of TV income the PL provides. So voting for no relegation would be very attractive.

Having no relegation would impact on any future tv deal.Relegation is part of the drama and without it I don't see the tv companies paying as much.I dont think that will ever come in

Would voting for teams not to be relegated from the Premier League not need some votes from Championship clubs? It obviously has a massive impact on the clubs in our league.

Surely a change as huge as that can't be that straight forward, how could it be that a one time winner of the premier league could never actually get back into it?

The FA could stop that in an instant if they had a spine:

*Immediate ban on Premier League players representing England

*Allocating the FA's Champions League places to the top 4 sides in the Championship

The FA in theory have the power to stop anything, but over the last 30 years have made it very clear they are an out of touch, spineless, weak organisation that has let English football and its supporters down big time.

The whole circus of the Premier League could easily have been prevented by the FA right at the start, but they gave it their go ahead and now it will never be reversed. The biggest irony is that the FA's two biggest assets - the FA Cup and National sides - have been the two things that have suffered more than anything else because of the Premier League and their Sky Sports bosses.

The FA in theory have the power to stop anything, but over the last 30 years have made it very clear they are an out of touch, spineless, weak organisation that has let English football and its supporters down big time.

The whole circus of the Premier League could easily have been prevented by the FA right at the start, but they gave it their go ahead and now it will never be reversed. The biggest irony is that the FA's two biggest assets - the FA Cup and National sides - have been the two things that have suffered more than anything else because of the Premier League and their Sky Sports bosses.

At the inception of what is now the Premier League it was called the FA Premier League. They saw an opportunity to get on the tv gravy train but not long after the Premier League dropped them. I recall at the time there was talk of the FA being ditched because it was felt that it was an archaic organisation with too many people with positions of power and, more importantly big egos who didn't want their cosy little positions affected. Nothing has changed with the FA as they change Chief Executives on a regular basis and the real power is with the faceless blazers who sit on the multitude of committees which are keeping our game stuck in a time warp. Look at Rob Coar for an example of this.

The whole regime needs tearing down and rebuilding.

I don't mind a European Super League. It would get rid of the mega rich clubs from the English leagues and make the Premiership more competitive but promotion and relegation is essential otherwise there is nothing for clubs below the Premiership to strive for and nothing for the lower Premiership clubs to spend money on transfers for.

It would need promotion and relegation from the European Super League too.

Sadly I think significant change in the structure of the Premier League/Champions League is inevitable sooner rather than later. Man Utd are facing the likely prospect of a second season out of the last three without Champions League football. Liverpool look as far away from the elite competition as ever and have only qualified once in about 4 years. Chelsea are going to finish well short. There's no way the people running those clubs are going to tolerate that continuing much longer and they will use their wealth to try and change the rules. They've already tried it by bringing in the outrageous FFP rules to try and stop increased competition only for it to become clear that they won't work with City simply bypassing them.

Beyond these shores traditional European giants like Inter and AC Milan have been pushed aside in Italy, not to mention huge clubs like Benfica and Ajax who have been hamstrung by their poor domestic leagues. No doubt that the concept of a 'super league' will appeal greatly to them. The only problem is it will have to be a closed shop, as guaranteed relegation won't be acceptable.

The rising threat of smaller clubs like Leicester, Spurs, West Ham in England will have set alarm bells ringing with the establishment who will seek a way to regain dominance. Clearly the chequebooks of United, Liverpool and Chelsea have counted for nothing this season and goes to show another huge spend next summer won't necessarily get them back to where they were.

Sadly I think significant change in the structure of the Premier League/Champions League is inevitable sooner rather than later. Man Utd are facing the likely prospect of a second season out of the last three without Champions League football. Liverpool look as far away from the elite competition as ever and have only qualified once in about 4 years. Chelsea are going to finish well short. There's no way the people running those clubs are going to tolerate that continuing much longer and they will use their wealth to try and change the rules. They've already tried it by bringing in the outrageous FFP rules to try and stop increased competition only for it to become clear that they won't work with City simply bypassing them.

Beyond these shores traditional European giants like Inter and AC Milan have been pushed aside in Italy, not to mention huge clubs like Benfica and Ajax who have been hamstrung by their poor domestic leagues. No doubt that the concept of a 'super league' will appeal greatly to them. The only problem is it will have to be a closed shop, as guaranteed relegation won't be acceptable.

The rising threat of smaller clubs like Leicester, Spurs, West Ham in England will have set alarm bells ringing with the establishment who will seek a way to regain dominance. Clearly the chequebooks of United, Liverpool and Chelsea have counted for nothing this season and goes to show another huge spend next summer won't necessarily get them back to where they were.

The biggest problem with the European super league, would be without relegation there would be half seasons for most sides with zero to play for. And with relegation, you would end up with the 4 English sides having so much money they would likely not get relegated, whereas the Portos / Benficas who cannot compete financially would be the yo-yo clubs. Its a non-starter for me.

The Champions League in itself is becoming ever more boring, its only ever once it gets to knockout stages it's interesting. Even then, its the same countries who are increasingly providing the quarter and semifinalists.

Want to move to a fairer system, get rid of FFP and move to a European franchise system. Let's see how many clubs go for that.

The biggest problem with the European super league, would be without relegation there would be half seasons for most sides with zero to play for. And with relegation, you would end up with the 4 English sides having so much money they would likely not get relegated, whereas the Portos / Benficas who cannot compete financially would be the yo-yo clubs. Its a non-starter for me.

The Champions League in itself is becoming ever more boring, its only ever once it gets to knockout stages it's interesting. Even then, its the same countries who are increasingly providing the quarter and semifinalists.

Want to move to a fairer system, get rid of FFP and move to a European franchise system. Let's see how many clubs go for that.

I agree the Champions League becomes poorer every year. This is due to UEFA's seeding policy which ensures all the top clubs avoid each other and clubs from the same countries avoid each other which means over a period of 5-6 years very similar groups and fixture patterns emerge. Even the upcoming Arsenal v Barcelona, as good a prospect as it is, is a game that has been seen a few times in recent years. Its just become repetitive.

I think in a 'Super League' across Europe the clubs from smaller nations like Ajax, Benfica, Celtic, Rangers etc. would quickly start to catch up with the Premier League sides and eventually would compete with them. If all the clubs had shared access to the pool of money on offer then with their fanbases and historical strength they could easily catch up with sides like Chelsea and Arsenal, providing they were getting similar revenues from the TV deal, which is what is holding them back at the moment.

The Champions and Europa Leagues are ridiculously boring. I honestly can't remember the last game I watched in either competition. The concept is designed as another cash cow to feed the rich clubs. The old format of a straight knockout competition was far more interesting but the big clubs, despite constantly moaning about the number of games were afraid of being knocked out by a minnow.

I would be happy to see a European League and get rid of the profit driven, greedy clubs who would be in it.

I cant understand why you are bothered ,you have stated you dont watch premier league or any other unless its rovers, you didnt even know Yeovil was in our league a couple of years ago. Imagine the uproar if Gord or me had started a thread bashing foreigners? The clique would have rounded on us like no tommorow. So you are against foreign owners but whats your view on dodgy employers who use migrant workers on zero contracts?

If you wanted a discussion on relegation and stuff why not just say that instead of slting foriegners...my view no chance of cancelling relegation.Its been muted for years.

I always thought Parochial Paul had a nice ring to it. ;)

Archived