BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flag Fund

I think Im right in saying a few years ago that after discussing it with the Fans Forum, in an attempt to improve the look of the ground a bit, the Club funded one of those huge roll out flags that you pass overhead across the length of the stand. Pretty expensive.

Unfortunately because it involves a huge amount of work setting up, about half an hour before and after, I think I'm also right in saying that people quickly tired of it and its currently in storage at Ewood I believe.

The moral of this is any flags need to be extremely easy to put up and take down.

I thought that flag was 'retired' after relegation, as the BBEnd lower was then nowhere near full enough for it to be passed around?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we could have flags sponsored by overseas fans too, like a Rovers Aussie Supporters flag etc...

I'll happily donate a few quid, have no idea how to organise it though.

I also think we should have a supporters picked 'Hall of Fame', where every season the fans can vote for say 5 ex-players, managers etc to be entered. A good way of getting our proud history recognised, and maybe invite some of the inductees, or their families, back to be presented with their medals / trophy on the pitch. If anyone else agrees Ill contact Alan Myers.

This is a great idea. We have so much to shout about, but rarely celebrate out heritage.

I've been working on a large banner. It is based on 'The Who' MOD style (similar to my posting icon or whatever it's called). Nearly finished - i've been doing it by hand in felt tip!

I've seen the New Order flags which I like.

I've had a few other ideas over the years, like this one

tinpot rovers

Other ideas may be a blue banner with the following seasons in white:
1883/84
1884/85
1885/86
1889/90
1890/91
1911/12
1913/14
1927/28
1994/95
2001/02
or
4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire

PS I'll contribute to a kitty.

Best just to give up then JAL.

This is a great idea. Rovers have (rightly or wrongly) got a poor reputation when it comes to attendances. Anything to improve the matchday atmosphere has got to be a welcome move.

Totally agree but the public round here just want to see a winning team.

Totally agree but the public round here just want to see a winning team.

Of course they do. But the fans and the atmosphere created has a part to play in getting us there. If this side can show signs of improvement then there is the potential there to kick on. Saturdays at Ewood need to compliment that. The two work hand in hand. I like the fact someone is trying to think outside the box. If the club won't do it then it's great the fans might lead the way.

Of course they do. But the fans and the atmosphere created has a part to play in getting us there. If this side can show signs of improvement then there is the potential there to kick on. Saturdays at Ewood need to compliment that. The two work hand in hand. I like the fact someone is trying to think outside the box. If the club won't do it then it's great the fans might lead the way.

Doesn't matter how loud the crowd shouts poor players will always be just that. It's upto the club to recruit a higher calibre of player rather than your Brown's etc.,of this world.

This is a great idea. We have so much to shout about, but rarely celebrate out heritage.

I've been working on a large banner. It is based on 'The Who' MOD style (similar to my posting icon or whatever it's called). Nearly finished - i've been doing it by hand in felt tip!

I've seen the New Order flags which I like.

I've had a few other ideas over the years, like this one

Other ideas may be a blue banner with the following seasons in white:
1883/84
1884/85
1885/86
1889/90
1890/91
1911/12
1913/14
1927/28
1994/95
2001/02
or
4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire

PS I'll contribute to a kitty.

I would dump the word tinpot, negative overtones and all that

If something like this was going to be done properly, the flags need a place they can be left up all the time - putting them up and down after every game would only last a few games at the most. Didn't the last one 'go missing' from the Stewards room?

If you are going to ask fans for money, it might be better to get everything in place with the club first.

Didn't know his name PB but do you mean the big set drummer with the spectacles?...sorry to hear that it true.

There were two drummers. One (a personal friend of mine) who sadly was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and the other, more of an acquaintance, who as far as I know is very much alive. Both were bespectacled, the latter would be the 'big set' one of the two, as you put it, but he's not a huge fella.

This seems to have stalled at the mo... however I think it's something that is badly needed to reignite some passion into the ground.

As a starting point it would be great to have 3 flag wavers at the front of the home half of the Darwen End. There is already a flag of Jack Walker is storage there so 2 more evenly spaced apart would look great.

Perhaps we could fundraise for one and ask the club if they'd like to supply another? I'd guess at £200 for a decent sized one.

By pure coincidence a similar idea has cropped up on a Rovers Facebook page.

The Huddersfield game has been earmarked as a potential game to unite singers in the unreserved Darwen End and add to the vocal element already in there.

There is also a proposal for flags to be re-introduced... fundraisers etc. it seems to be gathering momentum so watch this space!

The Huddersfield game is obviously a few weeks away, but of course this will allow time for these idea's to be implemented!

Archived