BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stop The Fecking Goal Music!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the campanologists before the teams come out. I visualise them in front of a microphone in the trophy room.

I didn't know they were known as "Coldplay"

At the end of a game, if we've won, I like Chelsea Dagger but I think, as we leave the ground, the very last piece of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty would be appropriate.

The goal music is only minor in relevance to that bloody drummer - kid or not, he either needs to know what he is doing or stop. 10 minutes of constant banging with no singing or reason to carry on. Thankfully a steward came over and sat next to him (hopefully told him to shut the f**k up) and that was him for the rest of the half.

Goal music is such a small club's mentality... IE Bolton, Wigan etc.

Was it the same drummer as the Boro game? If so I agree he was awful.

One of the fans did it in the Darwen End mid-week... Unfortunately I couldn't make that game but in general the feedback has been good.

• Backroom

That's a bold statement. ^_^

How can you be so categoric about somebody else's awareness? :wacko:

OTT, I know. Apologies to Paul (and I'll amend the post shortly).

I don't understand how someone can be less aware (let alone UNaware) of such sudden loud music than me, who is severely deaf.

Dont see the problem with the goal music. Its played at every goal in most stadiums.

Dont see a problem with Coldplay music when players come out.

That's not true, it is not played at most stadiums at all

The goal music is only minor in relevance to that bloody drummer - kid or not, he either needs to know what he is doing or stop. 10 minutes of constant banging with no singing or reason to carry on. Thankfully a steward came over and sat next to him (hopefully told him to shut the f**k up) and that was him for the rest of the half.

I mentioned him in the other thread. He was awful - and he kept letting little 10 year olds have a go with it at random intervals.

When he did drum it was like he had tourettes, just random beats with no tune half the time. It did nothing to help the atmosphere, and was just odd. I was near him and he just looked bored. If you're going to have a drummer, have a proper one!

I don't understand how someone can be less aware (let alone UNaware) of such sudden loud music than me, who is severely deaf.

Awareness isn't about your ears it's about your mind.

The thing with goal music is that it's in a tune that isn't going to get the fans singing along.

Burnley's goal music is naff, but at least it's something that the knuckle draggers can join in with. Ours is just a noise that dilutes the cheering, and it's so bloody loud you can't hear yourself think.

I don't know what goes on at Ewood, but I'm pretty sure the speakers have been too loud for as long as I can remember. As a kid I used to sit in the BBE Upper and it was always bloody deafening.

Music is too subjective. You will never find something universally accepted. Going for a widely popular band's anthemic tune seems sensible. I reckon if we were in the top 2, no one would mind it at all!

That said, the goal music is dire and I will listen to anything from house to Megadeth! Let us celebrate in peace.

Awareness isn't about your ears it's about your mind.

Yes that's it exactly. I'm not aware of it at all. Now if, before this discussion, I was asked do Rovers play goal music I would probably have answered yes. What is it? No idea. Do I hear it? Well I guess my ears do but does my mind take it in? No. I'm just not aware of it. Or perhaps I am aware of it but it has no impact?

I'd compare it with TV advertising or cinema advertising. I'm sure if I was asked what adverts had been shown once the programme had restarted I wouldn't be able to do so even though I've just watched them.

There must be some really interesting research on this somewhere. I think we are bombarded by sound and images to such an extent that our minds have become expert at filtering or ignoring all but the stuff we find relevant.

At Ewood I can think of two songs which are played - Wild Rover (perhaps not these days?) and I Gotta Feeling. I'm very receptive to those two - Wild Rover when the teams come out before a big match and I Gotta Feeling after a good win. Why am I hearing them? It's because I want to.

No problem Mike. I've tried to explain it above.

I agree with you 100% Abbey. I hate goal music and I think its a really state of affairs that we have got dragged into this modern day atmospheric dilution. When did we start doing the goal music? Ive been living in New Zealand for 18 months, so havent been to a game since the end of the 13-14 season and I swear we didnt have it then. Always been proud that we were one of those clubs who didnt have it-so its a real shame that we've 'sold out'.

As someone else said earlier-its a small club/fake atmosphere mentality-the kind of stuff you think at places like Wigan, Mk dons etc etc. GET RID :rover:

Chaddy could you please name the "majority " of clubs that play goal music .

If you can I will ask for this thread to closed ,I will also apologise to you for being wrong andI won't mention it again .

If you can't you apologise for being wrong .

Chaddy could you please name the "majority " of clubs that play goal music .

If you can I will ask for this thread to closed ,I will also apologise to you for being wrong andI won't mention it again .

If you can't you apologise for being wrong .

I doubt any of us have recently visited enough grounds to be able to prove the point. What I think is clear though is at many different types of sporting event goal music or its equivalent is the norm. I'm told by someone who was saying how ridiculous it is that even Twickenham does it. I'm sure at 20/20 cricket the same happens with a boundary.

It's prevalent in all sorts of sport.

I doubt any of us have recently visited enough grounds to be able to prove the point. What I think is clear though is at many different types of sporting event goal music or its equivalent is the norm. I'm told by someone who was saying how ridiculous it is that even Twickenham does it. I'm sure at 20/20 cricket the same happens with a boundary.

It's prevalent in all sorts of sport.

You don't need to visit grounds .. Match of the day . Unless you watch it on mute . 20/20 is for lazy , clueless,chavs.

• Backroom

Yes that's it exactly. I'm not aware of it at all. Now if, before this discussion, I was asked do Rovers play goal music I would probably have answered yes. What is it? No idea. Do I hear it? Well I guess my ears do but does my mind take it in? No. I'm just not aware of it. Or perhaps I am aware of it but it has no impact?

I'd compare it with TV advertising or cinema advertising. I'm sure if I was asked what adverts had been shown once the programme had restarted I wouldn't be able to do so even though I've just watched them.

There must be some really interesting research on this somewhere. I think we are bombarded by sound and images to such an extent that our minds have become expert at filtering or ignoring all but the stuff we find relevant.

At Ewood I can think of two songs which are played - Wild Rover (perhaps not these days?) and I Gotta Feeling. I'm very receptive to those two - Wild Rover when the teams come out before a big match and I Gotta Feeling after a good win. Why am I hearing them? It's because I want to.

No problem Mike. I've tried to explain it above.

Good way of explaining it tbh. Perhaps my deafness makes me want to hear everything I can, so I'm more aware of sounds (ironically)?

Apologies again Paul.

Archived