BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fixtures 2016-17

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, we must be the only club where home fans don't come first. Truly alarming from a club with so few at the moment......

In fairness, the club are in a Catch-22 situation. With decreasing season ticket sales they have to boost revenue by giving the maximum number of away tickets that they can which seems fair enough. Clearly an early kick-off limits the amount of time the police have to be involved policing the town centre etc.in case of trouble from visiting fans. Sadly, it's a sign of the times that the Rovers simply can't afford to turn away a couple of thousand paying North End fans whilst the police want to keep their operational costs to a minimum. If we gave North End less than 5,000, I'm sure it would be a 3.00pm kick-off but the club isn't in a financial position to do that. I assume because Preston limit the number of away fans they are able to have a 3pm kick off.

No other club in the football league ever offers the away team 7,000 tickets for a conventional league game, yet it seems Rovers would be happy if they could do this every week.

The only other clubs that come close to this ridiculously high allocation of tickets are Milton Keynes, who I refuse to use as a comparison for Blackburn Rovers, and Bolton and Wigan, who go up to about 4,500 away fans if they allocate the whole away end. I actually don't blame the police in some respects. Allowing 7,000 travelling supporters is a recipe for disaster. Fair enough, there has been no recent precedent of trouble to justify moving kick offs to lunchtime, and we managed it perfectly fine in the Premier League for many years, but no other club does it, so its inevitable that we get restrictions that no other club seems to get. The reaction to this from most clubs would be to allocate a maximum of 5,000 away tickets to PNE and Leeds, and keep the home fans happy with a 3pm kick off, but we follow a club that doesn't care what its supporters want or think, infact prefers to antagonise people in any way possible, and then appears perplexed when season ticket sales drop through the floor.

It seems we've reached a stage where the financial benefits of a few thousand additional PNE, Leeds, Middlesbrough or Burnley fans outweigh the importance of maintaining 3pm kick offs and keeping our own home fans happy.

For comparison sakes, Birmingham are/were cash strapped and down to 12-13,000 home fans the other season, yet as far as I am aware they didn't go round offering Wolves an initial allocation of 6,000 tickets. The reason being that they would prefer to sacrifice the financial benefits of an extra 3,000 away fans and maintain a 3pm kick off with a home advantage.

Now we've got Cheston running the show things are only going to get worse. In his short time as 'Director' he's shut down the family stand, forcibly relocated long standing season ticket holders from the Blackburn Upper and Jack Walker Lower, and shut down the town centre store. Its inevitable that we'll be throwing the Darwen End doors open to anyone and everyone who wants to come.

As I mentioned the other day, its highly likely that one or both of Newcastle and Villa will be moved on police advice. Villa could well be on the brink of promotion when they come here and will easily sell 6,000+ if so. Newcastle also are more than capable of shifting that amount.

So all those in the process of renewing season tickets, just remember that if the club continues along this course then its highly likely that at least 10 home games won't be at 3pm next season.

Quite simply put in place a scheme where by the PNE supporters allocation is cut to 5k but they pay more. Half a brain could come up with something. Similar to Burnley but without the bubble.

With the way things are at the min I reckon you can count on losing a good few home attendees from the early KO who would otherwise turnout at 3pm. The aways will turn up anyway for their big day out, sod them.

Also look at the farce of the Leeds game last season. Jerk home fans about then less than half the away allocation turns up after all rendering it a dead rubber anyway financially.

There isn't a brain cell in place at that club.

I believe it is to do with the fact we insist on giving them 7000 tickets. The police won't let us give more than 5000 without an early KO.

its absolutly pathetic....not that it makes a difference to me until the scum leave

With Season ticket sales going through the floor the sad fact is that the ground Jack built is now way too big for our home support.

I remember a comment being made by the club back in the Premiership days that Ewood needed a 21k crowd just to break even with matchday running costs.

It's a sad,sad sign of the times and we all know who is to blame!

Look PNE will bring 7k to Ewood and they will have been drinking. We will have a similar number of home fans and the Nobbers will be looking for a ruck. This is about limiting risk by stopping them getting too drunk.

Mind you pubs in Leyland, Preston and Bamber Bridge etc opened at 8 am when they invaded us last season.

me...according to twitter :(

Ignore them Abbey. They sound like they just lost a vote and have to kick out in order to feel good.

If Villa are close to promotion they will bring 10K+ for their end of season game at Ewood and I am sure Chestin will accommodate them. If not Rovers fans will make a quick buck by selling them tickets.

No other club in the football league ever offers the away team 7,000 tickets for a conventional league game, yet it seems Rovers would be happy if they could do this every week.

The only other clubs that come close to this ridiculously high allocation of tickets are Milton Keynes, who I refuse to use as a comparison for Blackburn Rovers, and Bolton and Wigan, who go up to about 4,500 away fans if they allocate the whole away end. I actually don't blame the police in some respects. Allowing 7,000 travelling supporters is a recipe for disaster. Fair enough, there has been no recent precedent of trouble to justify moving kick offs to lunchtime, and we managed it perfectly fine in the Premier League for many years, but no other club does it, so its inevitable that we get restrictions that no other club seems to get. The reaction to this from most clubs would be to allocate a maximum of 5,000 away tickets to PNE and Leeds, and keep the home fans happy with a 3pm kick off, but we follow a club that doesn't care what its supporters want or think, infact prefers to antagonise people in any way possible, and then appears perplexed when season ticket sales drop through the floor.

It seems we've reached a stage where the financial benefits of a few thousand additional PNE, Leeds, Middlesbrough or Burnley fans outweigh the importance of maintaining 3pm kick offs and keeping our own home fans happy.

For comparison sakes, Birmingham are/were cash strapped and down to 12-13,000 home fans the other season, yet as far as I am aware they didn't go round offering Wolves an initial allocation of 6,000 tickets. The reason being that they would prefer to sacrifice the financial benefits of an extra 3,000 away fans and maintain a 3pm kick off with a home advantage.

Now we've got Cheston running the show things are only going to get worse. In his short time as 'Director' he's shut down the family stand, forcibly relocated long standing season ticket holders from the Blackburn Upper and Jack Walker Lower, and shut down the town centre store. Its inevitable that we'll be throwing the Darwen End doors open to anyone and everyone who wants to come.

As I mentioned the other day, its highly likely that one or both of Newcastle and Villa will be moved on police advice. Villa could well be on the brink of promotion when they come here and will easily sell 6,000+ if so. Newcastle also are more than capable of shifting that amount.

So all those in the process of renewing season tickets, just remember that if the club continues along this course then its highly likely that at least 10 home games won't be at 3pm next season.

How is selling 7000 tickets a recipe for disaster?

The club is spending more than its revenue on wages and costs, and we are barely spending on wages these days. You know why? Because of the ridiculous mistakes caused by ridiculous absentee owners have put us firmly in a financial hole and put off thousands of season ticket holders.

Taking that into account, if we can get 7000 away fans for 5/6 games that's nearly a million in extra revenue.

It's one thing criticising the owners mistakes - it's another dressing this up as "ridiculous" or a "recipe for disaster".

It's frustrating having games moved around as a season ticket holder but I'm not going to ignore the financial calamity when looking at reasons for it. Who's to say those big crowds at Christmas last year didn't help to sign a couple of players?

Big crowds at Christmas ?

Besides I thought it had been decided the crowds and their revenue make very little difference to our ,billionaire' owners and our gargantuan debt ? Or does that not suit this particular argument ?

Home fans should always come first and if it's about revenue soley then they'd be giving them half the JW as well because some teams under the right circumstances would shift them.

But yeah that extra few hundred thousand will come in handy when paying off the next coach, assistant coach, director. Helping sign players my arse !!

Boxing day was washed out

Exactly and it only ended up about 16k ? ish I think. Leeds was probably budgeted for 19/20k so they moved it again and we ended up similar. It's a pointless farcical exercise that could be avoided without losing income if a little thought was applied.

The gravy train just wants an easy existence so they let the police run the show whilst no doubt someone gets a nice drink out of it.

The club is spending more than its revenue on wages and costs, and we are barely spending on wages these days. You know why? Because of the ridiculous mistakes caused by ridiculous absentee owners have put us firmly in a financial hole and put off thousands of season ticket holders.

Taking that into account, if we can get 7000 away fans for 5/6 games that's nearly a million in extra revenue.

It's one thing criticising the owners mistakes - it's another dressing this up as "ridiculous" or a "recipe for disaster".

It's frustrating having games moved around as a season ticket holder but I'm not going to ignore the financial calamity when looking at reasons for it. Who's to say those big crowds at Christmas last year didn't help to sign a couple of players?

jb, there were no home games mid-Dec to mid-Jan last year.

Big crowds at Christmas ?

Besides I thought it had been decided the crowds and their revenue make very little difference to our ,billionaire' owners and our gargantuan debt ? Or does that not suit this particular argument ?

Home fans should always come first and if it's about revenue soley then they'd be giving them half the JW as well because some teams under the right circumstances would shift them.

But yeah that extra few hundred thousand will come in handy when paying off the next coach, assistant coach, director. Helping sign players my arse !!

If they did TP, surely they'dve made an attempt to win back our fans?

It's an accountancy decision, don't get me wrong. I'd love to be in a position to say we can decide if an away team gets xy seats because we know we'd sell them anyway.

Problem is we are averaging just over a 1/3rd full... What do we expect those at the club to do? Just throw away a few hundred thousand because of "pride"?

I'd be more critical and paranoid if the local decisions where helping to keep the stadium EMPTY!

The reference to will boycotting make a difference is a strange one for me though. This is about how 7000 is a recipe for disaster!

You're probably right about the money not signing players, but if it's less debt on the name of our club, it's a positive at least.

jb, there were no home games mid-Dec to mid-Jan last year.

Was thinking of leeds and boro, but I'm obviously mistaken, either way the point is the same. 5 or 6 games a season if we sell 7000 (or more) tickets we can potentially make a million extra in revenue.

Every club outside the Premier League spends more on wages and costs than it makes in revenue. I don't see many other clubs allowing kick off times to be repeatedly moved to the detriment of the home crowd to facilitate a mammoth away following.

The only other club in English football that encourages away clubs to sell as many tickets as possible and offers them as many as 7,000 away tickets is MK Dons, and the less said about their model the better.

Why is this? Because most other clubs have the sense to realise that throwing the doors open to hoards of away fans and encouraging them to travel en masse and 'take over' the ground will be advantageous to the opposition.

As I said yesterday, clubs like Birmingham, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday could all make a quick buck by offering Leeds and Middlesbrough 7,000 tickets and challenging them to try and sell them and have a great day out, but they don't. They offer them an initial few thousand with scope to increase that to a maximum 4,000ish if they can sell the first batch.

Most other clubs appear to realise that the financial sacrifice is one worth making, to maintain a 3pm kick off time and keep the home fans happy. Moving kick off time to 12pm at Ewood guarantees a depleted home crowd and poorer home atmosphere.

Last season we had 1 game where the opposition filled the Darwen End (Preston) having miscalculated on Leeds and had the Boro postponement. Even if all 3 had sold out, that would have been about 6,000 total extra tickets than had we limited away fans to a more than generous 5,000 with segregation (still more than anyone else offers). Probably a financial hit of about £150,000 if the average ticket was £25. For last season, when only Preston filled it, the hit of giving them 5,000 rather than 7,200 would have been no more than around £50,000 or so. Maybe another instalment on Leon Best's payoff.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't affect our kick off times. But the club appear unwilling or unable to challenge the police and accept the conditions they enforce, meaning every time they want to fill the Darwen End we've got to have yet another moved kick off time.

I can see it now that Rovers will be hoping desperately that Villa and Newcastle ask for the full stand. Quids in time. Then they wonder why less and less Rovers fans want to commit to a season ticket when almost half the home games are played either at night or lunchtime rather than the traditional 3pm Saturday. We've already reached 6 non Saturday 3pm games at Ewood - Preston, Forest, Wednesday, Cardiff, Leeds and Brighton. Newcastle and Villa will follow on police advice. Then Sky will get their grubby hands on our fixture list and move another couple for their audience. I'm not comfortable paying for a season ticket with so many games moved, especially when 3-4 are being done because Rovers want to sell more away tickets.

Last season we had 1 game where the opposition filled the Darwen End (Preston) having miscalculated on Leeds and had the Boro postponement. Even if all 3 had sold out, that would have been about 6,000 total extra tickets than had we limited away fans to a more than generous 5,000 with segregation (still more than anyone else offers). Probably a financial hit of about £150,000 if the average ticket was £25. For last season, when only Preston filled it, the hit of giving them 5,000 rather than 7,200 would have been no more than around £50,000 or so. Maybe another instalment on Leon Best's payoff.

When you think about it, if you give away fans all of the Darwen End Upper and half the lower up to the barrier you've probably got around 5400 tickets, we only give 6900 to teams like PNE as they net off some seats anyway.

A lot of messing about for potentially 1500 extra ticket sales- plus who says these clubs will sell them? Leeds didn't even need the 5400, never mind the extra. Who says PNE will sell 6900 again? Not a novelty this time.

no need ,just stick to the facts and sure you will be ok.

Unless I'm an accountant who works in the club, how could I ever post facts about where revenue goes? It was an assumption.

Don't tell me how to post either, I nearly collapsed in irony when I saw that. You ignored the part about how a any business or football club 100m debt would look to maximise revenue to focus on something you could disagree with, and you call me Mr Opposite....

Same old, same old.

When you think about it, if you give away fans all of the Darwen End Upper and half the lower up to the barrier you've probably got around 5400 tickets, we only give 6900 to teams like PNE as they net off some seats anyway.

A lot of messing about for potentially 1500 extra ticket sales- plus who says these clubs will sell them? Leeds didn't even need the 5400, never mind the extra. Who says PNE will sell 6900 again? Not a novelty this time.

Bolton used to get away with allocating the upper tier first at premium price then lower a bit cheaper only usually after the upper sold out. It caused enough uproar on here at times and they did it to others so I don't see a reason why we don't operate a similar policy when moving the home fans.

The extra revenue from the higher price and savings on police and stewards etc would more or less balance it out. Yes they've opened both tiers but I can't see that costing much more and it still makes it a pleasant experience for the visiting hoardes.

We keep hearing that we need to find ways of making the experience better for home fans well sitting listening to 7k Nobbers, Geordies etc whilst about 9 thousand home fans scattered about on a Saturday lunchtime isn't a great experience. It's ok when the home fans turn up and are up for it but that is almost non existent these days. Home crowd only really responds to the hoardes if the team is doing the business otherwise it's thoroughly depressing.

Not to mention the ballache of middle of the day kick offs which dilute the crowd in numbers and enthusiasm anyway.

We said this would happen now regularly though with accountants running the gaff who probably don't turn up to the games anyway.

Every club outside the Premier League spends more on wages and costs than it makes in revenue. I don't see many other clubs allowing kick off times to be repeatedly moved to the detriment of the home crowd to facilitate a mammoth away following.

The only other club in English football that encourages away clubs to sell as many tickets as possible and offers them as many as 7,000 away tickets is MK Dons, and the less said about their model the better.

Why is this? Because most other clubs have the sense to realise that throwing the doors open to hoards of away fans and encouraging them to travel en masse and 'take over' the ground will be advantageous to the opposition.

As I said yesterday, clubs like Birmingham, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday could all make a quick buck by offering Leeds and Middlesbrough 7,000 tickets and challenging them to try and sell them and have a great day out, but they don't. They offer them an initial few thousand with scope to increase that to a maximum 4,000ish if they can sell the first batch.

Most other clubs appear to realise that the financial sacrifice is one worth making, to maintain a 3pm kick off time and keep the home fans happy. Moving kick off time to 12pm at Ewood guarantees a depleted home crowd and poorer home atmosphere.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't affect our kick off times. But the club appear unwilling or unable to challenge the police and accept the conditions they enforce, meaning every time they want to fill the Darwen End we've got to have yet another moved kick off time.

I can see it now that Rovers will be hoping desperately that Villa and Newcastle ask for the full stand. Quids in time. Then they wonder why less and less Rovers fans want to commit to a season ticket when almost half the home games are played either at night or lunchtime rather than the traditional 3pm Saturday. We've already reached 6 non Saturday 3pm games at Ewood - Preston, Forest, Wednesday, Cardiff, Leeds and Brighton. Newcastle and Villa will follow on police advice. Then Sky will get their grubby hands on our fixture list and move another couple for their audience. I'm not comfortable paying for a season ticket with so many games moved, especially when 3-4 are being done because Rovers want to sell more away tickets.

Great post.

Its the difference of having an accountant making decisions or a pragmatic MD. John Williams was pragmatic and made decisions that weren't always about the balance sheet.

Yes we are £100m in debt (Venkys fault not ours) but if going forward every decision made is simply made from a financial perspective, it will just further alienate supporters and drive them away.

Right now supporters don't figure in any decision making process, they are just a revenue stream. Moving the family stand is a perfect example. Moved without consultation, and a ridiculous PR spin given for the reason for doing it. Result, supporters angered/alienated, some refusing to renew, PR disaster, but hey its OK, because we'll save money not opening the BBE Upper which looks great on the balance sheet.

Is this the way we want OUR Club running going forward?

In fairness, the club are in a Catch-22 situation.

In fairness its not - they have created the situation with regard to reducing numbers and bowed down - they'll just end up with lower home fans now and possible even less season ticket renewals

Bolton used to get away with allocating the upper tier first at premium price then lower a bit cheaper only usually after the upper sold out. It caused enough uproar on here at times and they did it to others so I don't see a reason why we don't operate a similar policy when moving the home fans.

The extra revenue from the higher price and savings on police and stewards etc would more or less balance it out. Yes they've opened both tiers but I can't see that costing much more and it still makes it a pleasant experience for the visiting hoardes.

We keep hearing that we need to find ways of making the experience better for home fans well sitting listening to 7k Nobbers, Geordies etc whilst about 9 3 thousand home fans scattered about on a Saturday lunchtime isn't a great experience. It's ok when the home fans turn up and are up for it but that is almost non existent these days. Home crowd only really responds to the hoardes if the team is doing the business otherwise it's thoroughly depressing.

Not to mention the ballache of middle of the day kick offs which dilute the crowd in numbers and enthusiasm anyway.

We said this would happen now regularly though with accountants running the gaff who probably don't turn up to the games anyway.

Think you were getting a bit caught up in the past their Tomphil - have to be realistic now

And as you have already posted - though the crowds don't make any difference to the loons inner pockets

Fan experience and convenience versus income really Capt, it just doesn't stack up either way unless they are guaranteed to sell 7k at £30+ a pop which has proved isn't always the case.

Whilst I sympathise with the stretched Police force it really is their problem not ours. They are there to serve the local public not dictate to it and what the hell would happen if we went up again with big influxes of outsiders every other game ? All 1pm kick offs ??

Archived