BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Irvine Departs

J*B

Paul Lambert, Rob Kelly and Alan Irvine are the best thing to happen to Blackburn Rovers in a very long time, In less than 7 months two have already walked and I can't see Kelly lasting much longer either.

Nobodys surprised surely, I think we've all become numb to absorbing bad news and this is bad news make no mistake.

As Kamy said earlier, Coyle will now surround himself with his 'tried and tested' team, you know the ones that contributed to both Wigan and Bolton ending up in division 3.

What odds Blackburn Rovers making it a hatrick :rock:

#venkys out

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accepting mediocrity? Are you not in the least suspicious?

To be honest, no.

I was suspicious when Kean replaced Big Sam. This is ultimately, a decent man and coach who has been left in the lurch by the man who brought him in, because (in my opinion) they've been led up the garden path. Usually, when a manager leaves, the team leaves with him. Our coaches have been left in a limbo because of the odd case of Lambert and Venky's 'amicably' deciding not to work with each other. Irvine has probably received a compromise agreement and it has been finalised after the hand over to team Coyle.

I saw this one coming the moment Coyle came to the club. Stewart is his best mate and has been his number two from St Johnstone to Houston and everywhere in between. There's no way Coyle would have ever intended to come here and for them to go their separate ways.

I've no problem with Coyle having his trusted team and wanting to surround himself with them. But I wonder why the club went to so much effort to dress it up. Repeated claims they wanted the new man to work with Lambert's staff. Nonsense. Presumably offering the new man a clean slate would have raised the bar with potential applicants, and the last thing they wanted was another ambitious guy like Lambert pursuing the job.

Coyle's interview in the Scottish press over the weekend made repeated references to 'us' and 'we'. Clearly the other person was Sandy Stewart.

Of course it could all be innocent. It could merely be that Irvine has been approached to work elsewhere and has decided to walk away, conveniently creating a vacancy for Coyle's best mate to fill.

The alternative is that Coyle has planned from the minute he got the job to find space for Stewart and that Irvine has been pushed towards the exit, Irvine has took it upon himself to find another job somewhere.

I know which one I believe, bearing in mind this is Blackburn Rovers 2016 we're discussing here.

To be honest, no.

I was suspicious when Kean replaced Big Sam. This is ultimately, a decent man and coach who has been left in the lurch by the man who brought him in, because (in my opinion) they've been led up the garden path. Usually, when a manager leaves, the team leaves with him. Our coaches have been left in a limbo because of the odd case of Lambert and Venky's 'amicably' deciding not to work with each other. Irvine has probably received a compromise agreement and it has been finalised after the hand over to team Coyle.

I am surprised that you can in any way bring Lambert into this debate. Only recently Coyle was praising Irvine which led me to believe he was happy with him then suddenly (two days into pre season) he has left by mutual consent. At this stage there is no mention of any other club. The timing alone makes me suspicious and I really am expecting an announcement about Stewart soon. I believe Irvine has been strung along by Coyle who I feel is deceitful.

However if you don't suspect anything devious fair play to you.

It's likely they were on short term rolling contracts which run out tomorrow and aren't being renewed. Good of them to stick around whilst the window dressing was done really and no surprise if either walk straight into other jobs as they are very well thought of I football.

I never bought into the old Lambert / Irvine / Kelly on 2 and a half year deals anyway, just another smoke screen to cover a short term gamble.

As said we are now going to be looking at going into the season with a proven under whelming under achieving coaching team again after what on paper looked a very strong one.

I am surprised that you can in any way bring Lambert into this debate. Only recently Coyle was praising Irvine which led me to believe he was happy with him then suddenly (two days into pre season) he has left by mutual consent. At this stage there is no mention of any other club. The timing alone makes me suspicious and I really am expecting an announcement about Stewart soon. I believe Irvine has been strung along by Coyle who I feel is deceitful.

Maybe Irvine was strung along by Lambert too ...?

I have no idea what you mean re your surprise at me mentioning Lambert - please can you clarify?

Lambert brought him in. Lambert chose to leave after a matter of months. Irvine was left behind in the wake, unexpectedly working alongside a man he didn't choose to be here with.

I have no idea what you mean re your surprise at me mentioning Lambert - please can you clarify?

Lambert brought him in. Lambert chose to leave after a matter of months. Irvine was left behind in the wake, unexpectedly working alongside a man he didn't choose to be here with.

Correct Pedro..the thing is its quite easy at the moment to concoct conspiracy theories.

We can all do it...and none of us will probably ever know.Everyone looking for something devious.

So maybe as you say Lambert strung Irvine and Kelly along," Yep im here for Promotion" knowing all along that the Celtic job was looming.Jumped ship and missed out,leaving the two coaches in limbo land.

Then MAYBE Irvine strings along Coyle ,"yep come to Rovers i will recommend ya" knowing full well he was going to leave for somewhere else so leaving Coyle in limbo two days into pre season ..the tw@t...

See easy :tu:

Lambert left because of broken promises. He was principled enough to walk away after the Pune fools renaged on their promises and when he did Irvine and Kelly stayed on and were both talked up by Coyle who gave the impression he was happy to work with them. Of course there was a risk of a new man coming in and bringing his own team but the timing of this is strange to say the least.

The following article refers is interesting particularly the question about the then current management team

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14471425._We_need_to_live_within_our_financial_means___Q_A_with_Blackburn_Rovers_director_Mike_Cheston/

The point im trying to make Arbitro is simply anyone can twist anything at Rovers at the moment and put a spin on it whichever way they want...not what i say about Lambert/Coyle/Irvine is the truth.

Until we all know the facts(which we may never find out) no one will ever know the real reasons behind the comings and goings at Rovers.

The point im trying to make Arbitro is simply anyone can twist anything at Rovers at the moment and put a spin on it whichever way they want...not what i say about Lambert/Coyle/Irvine is the truth.

Until we all know the facts(which we may never find out) no one will ever know the real reasons behind the comings and goings at Rovers.

There is a lot of speculation with the bad feeling around the club but, based on quoted interviews recently I really believe there has been some devious manoeuvring behind the scenes.

As you say though we probably will never know.

Lambert left because of broken promises. He was principled enough to walk away after the Pune fools renaged on their promises and when he did Irvine and Kelly stayed on and were both talked up by Coyle who gave the impression he was happy to work with them. Of course there was a risk of a new man coming in and bringing his own team but the timing of this is strange to say the least.

The following article refers is interesting particularly the question about the then current management team

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14471425._We_need_to_live_within_our_financial_means___Q_A_with_Blackburn_Rovers_director_Mike_Cheston/

I'm still non the wiser. I clearly said that Lambert left because he was led on and that Irvine was a victim of him choosing to go. I personally don't think this is a big deal. He (Irvine) is just a coach and they are all ultimately expendible and temporary fixtures. Coyle should have the right to assemble his own backroom staff and be totally accountable for every mistake and success.

Was it Hughes who ousted Tony Parkes to put his own team in place? That was a MUCH bigger deal to me than someone who simply isn't regarded as Blackburn through and through and hasn't really established himself here as anyone of note. I like Irvine but genuinely don't view him as indispensable.

Irvine might not be indispensable, but he's a very experienced, well respected and highly thought of coach. I'd have actually been content to see him appointed as manager after Bowyer, so to get him as assistant was a dream. After 5 years of next to no managerial or coaching experience at the club, to suddenly find ourselves with the triple team of Lambert, Irvine and Kelly was the stuff of dreams, especially when you factor in that both Irvine and Kelly had extensive previous experience at this club and were already popular figures around the place.

Like I said earlier, I'm not particularly bothered if the new manager has decided he wants his own team in and Irvine is a victim of that change. It happens at all clubs and Irvine will know that better than anyone. After all, he replaced a long term employee in Terry McPhillips when Lambert got the job. There's no room for sentiment.

What bothers me is once again its mixed messages from the club. The club (Cheston) clearly on more than one occasion said that retaining Lamberts staff was preferable. So if they've appointed Coyle knowing a change was going to be made then its another example of them diverting from their self proclaimed job requirements. Like when they said they wanted a manager that has a reputation for developing kids, which Coyle certainly doesn't have, before then allowing Coyle to sign Feeney and Graham (combined age of 60) both on 3 year contracts. It doesn't add up.

If they didn't mind Coyle bringing his own staff then they shouldn't have said what they did about keeping Irvine and Kelly, and they should have paid them off when Coyle was appointed and let him bring his own staff in. Instead they've left things to stew for another month before making changes via the backdoor. It just doesn't add up.

Or maybe it made perfect sense since we had no manager from the minute PL walked. Somebody needed to choose pre season dates, fixtures, create a retained list et al.

I'm not suprised that people will have suspicion in everything after what's gone on, but for me this just seems like the average new manager coaching shuffle. Pre season started this week, the international lads will be back Monday. If there was a time this discussion should be taking place it's this week.

No conspiracy for me, just another very experienced footballing man that's walked.

He may have a better offer, but I'd suggest the club is worse off now, than it was yesterday.

Irvine might not be indispensable, but he's a very experienced, well respected and highly thought of coach. I'd have actually been content to see him appointed as manager after Bowyer, so to get him as assistant was a dream. After 5 years of next to no managerial or coaching experience at the club, to suddenly find ourselves with the triple team of Lambert, Irvine and Kelly was the stuff of dreams, especially when you factor in that both Irvine and Kelly had extensive previous experience at this club and were already popular figures around the place.

Like I said earlier, I'm not particularly bothered if the new manager has decided he wants his own team in and Irvine is a victim of that change. It happens at all clubs and Irvine will know that better than anyone. After all, he replaced a long term employee in Terry McPhillips when Lambert got the job. There's no room for sentiment.

What bothers me is once again its mixed messages from the club. The club (Cheston) clearly on more than one occasion said that retaining Lamberts staff was preferable. So if they've appointed Coyle knowing a change was going to be made then its another example of them diverting from their self proclaimed job requirements. Like when they said they wanted a manager that has a reputation for developing kids, which Coyle certainly doesn't have, before then allowing Coyle to sign Feeney and Graham (combined age of 60) both on 3 year contracts. It doesn't add up.

If they didn't mind Coyle bringing his own staff then they shouldn't have said what they did about keeping Irvine and Kelly, and they should have paid them off when Coyle was appointed and let him bring his own staff in. Instead they've left things to stew for another month before making changes via the backdoor. It just doesn't add up.

I agree with a lot of that. I think that things don't always add up is there are too many people involved, too many not qualified, too much indecision and too many U turns. We demand communication and when we finally do get told something, we cling to it. Everything Rovers is heightened because the fans are genuinely stressed by it and we have been burnt so many times, paranoia sets in so many quarters because the next disaster is never far away.

No conspiracy for me, just another very experienced footballing man that's walked.

He may have a better offer, but I'd suggest the club is worse off now, than it was yesterday.

It is my genuine belief, based on nothing more than the resulting chain of events, that Irvine and Kelly helped to draw up Cheston's shortlist, and then Cheston interviewed those candidates. Cheston then went on holiday and then 'somebody else' put forward Coyle's name to the owners and he was hired.

Thanks for trying, Alan.

It is my genuine belief, based on nothing more than the resulting chain of events, that Irvine and Kelly helped to draw up Cheston's shortlist, and then Cheston interviewed those candidates. Cheston then went on holiday and then 'somebody else' put forward Coyle's name to the owners and he was hired.

Thanks for trying, Alan.

Could be wrong but Coyle's name came out of no where and as you say it all happened while Cheston was on holiday.

Warnock was telling anyone who would listen that the job was his at one point, Cheston went on holiday and it was just waiting for the sign off from Pune (the whole of Pune? Perhaps that's why it takes so long to make a decision)

Given all the past links with both club and Coyle, your theory fits well.

Not a criticism but on what basis would you make Dunn first team coach?

was thinking the same, Dunn hasn't done anything to merit such a an influential first team coaches job at this level.(and personally im sick of seeing his face, he could do with a few years away from the club and learn to stand on his own two feet)

Tbf irvine if to good and experienced to just be part of a backroom team at a (currently) bottom half Championship club, Also i think it could be a case of too many cooks...

You missed an r out of the last word.

Archived