BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Irvine Departs

J*B

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club we new is gone but I really hope we don't end up like Blackpool. I was speaking to one of their fans today, a true diehard, who won't be renewing but will join any protests that are organised. They've seemingly sold a few hundred season tickets.

I just wish our stayaways would join protests when the time comes. But they just can't be bothered.

Lambert left because of broken promises. He was principled enough to walk away after the Pune fools renaged on their promises and when he did Irvine and Kelly stayed on and were both talked up by Coyle who gave the impression he was happy to work with them. Of course there was a risk of a new man coming in and bringing his own team but the timing of this is strange to say the least.

The following article refers is interesting particularly the question about the then current management team

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14471425._We_need_to_live_within_our_financial_means___Q_A_with_Blackburn_Rovers_director_Mike_Cheston/

Lambert is a wily old fox. Yes I have no doubt he was given certain promises from the owners. But in the end I think it served to be a convenient excuse to cut loose. I liked him and I think he was our best bet at promotion. But he didn't pull up any trees while he was here and I'm not sure his heart was in it at the end. I'm not sure we could have realistically offered him enough funds to stay on. He was sold a pup, no two ways about it. But despite all that I think he wanted out.

As for Irvine. Well he didn't have much to lose. Out of work. If lambert got it right his stock as a coach goes up. He didn't. And now Irvine has gone too. But nobody will consider the last 6 months as a blot on his record book. Lamberts exit saw to that. And the fact we're a basket case helps too. I wish him all the luck in the world. But let's be honest, was it ever going to work with Coyle? One wants to play attacking gung-ho football and the other appreciates defensive solidity. You could argue the two would help assist the other. But in reality the two ethos' would have probably meant we did neither very well. It's a sham to see him leave. But every manager deserves to do things his own way. A single vision, right or wrong is better than a divided camp. Despite the fact Coyle seems to be a bit of a shyster. At least he seems to know his own mind when it comes to footballing matters.

Lambert worked, as soon as he got some own players in the team played with tactics and looked strong, not perfect, but good. There was a run of ok to good results but on the whole good performances. Then people started to look to make commitments on loans and contracts for the following season, he looked for answers didn't get them, couldn't give them, asked for them in there press even, no one got any, sendings off and the whole thing started to crumble.

Irvine's departure is a big disappointment, there was a little hope things might turn out different for Coyle with Lambert and Kelly helping to make up for his deficiencies and the team might be able to do better than at first appeared. I'm not involved in football but it seems like Irvine has an excellent reputation as a coach, plus his previous time at Rovers gave him a connection to the club and therefore it was hoped that he really cared for the club.

Add in all the guff spouted by Cheston etc it is bound to leave people rightly suspicious. However even if it is not dodgy in anyway it is still a (possibly quite big) loss for the club.

Suspicion is all we've got left, it's Venkys legacy.

Those refusing to draw conclusions from what's happening are becoming part of the propaganda machine.

By all means attend games if you want to, but send the message that things are not right and change needs to happen

I find it hard to believe that after all the foul play and mismanagement thats gone on at the club people still draw the conclusion that Lambert failed in some nonsensical quest in the 20wks he was here.

It's history now, he's gone and the clubs much worse for it, but often if something doesn't make sense it's usually not true.

By stipulating that the new manager was expected to work with Paul Lambert's staff Cheston immediately wiped out a large number of potentially excellent managers for this football club.

Of course some managers will work with who they are told to, but the better ones expect to be trusted to make that decision for themselves and bring in the staff they see fit to do the job. So from a starting point of being told which coaches to work with some people won't have applied for the job.

We started off our managerial 'search' saying that the new manager ought to be able to accept Irvine, Kelly and Batty as his coaching team, and then followed that up by saying there was very little money to spend and that youth would be promoted.

Less than a month down the line and Irvine has gone.

Its just another twist in the mysterious saga of the managerial appointment process. This inevitably leads to suspicion.

Like when Warnock was clearly approached/considered for the job despite him only wanting to manage for 1 more year and wanting to bring his trusted staff with him - Warnock doesn't fit any of the criteria Cheston set out yet its obvious from reports there was some sort of contact there.

Cheston provides job requirements and a rough timescale. Cheston then goes on holiday having made his recommendation. 3 more weeks pass by. Coyle suddenly leaves Houston and gets the job here out of nowhere. Irvine now leaves conveniently creating a vacancy for Coyle's best mate.

My suspicion is that once again the club is being run on 2 levels. One the ground we have Cheston who is trying to run the club with what he has whilst making cutbacks, and then above him, somewhere between here and India, we have another layer of decision making and people involved in recruitment.

It can't work and it won't work.

Those refusing to draw conclusions from what's happening are becoming part of the propaganda machine.

Care to explain that a little further? I "drew the conclusion" that (as I'm sick of reading) that this is another "blame the fans" style point.

As said, suspicions has been understandably rife with the Raos, however - not coming to the conclusion that "they signed a player on same day to get bad news out" regarding Irvine is in no way adding to the propaganda.

Genuine question - why do we have to criticise other fans or other view points? Does it validate our own? Malice intended or not, suggesting anyone who has an alternative opinion is "part of the problem" will only serve to cause arguments.

It's like if anyone who's renewed, thanking boycotters for hastening the decline everytime something bad happens. Certainly wouldn't last long on here doing that.

I find it hard to believe that after all the foul play and mismanagement thats gone on at the club people still draw the conclusion that Lambert failed in some nonsensical quest in the 20wks he was here.

It's history now, he's gone and the clubs much worse for it, but often if something doesn't make sense it's usually not true.

Lambert had a 36% win record in his time here, despite taking over mid-season and working with Bowyer's squad.

I'll be astonished if Coyle betters that percentage this season having signed his own team.

Lambert was the best chance we had and was the only one with the know-how and balls to speak up about what the club needs to be successful. He wanted proper investment, not a few frees and loans, and he wanted a structure and communication, not an accountant as the single director and a wall of silence. Some people criticise him for constantly moaning. I think that's exactly what this club needs. For too long we've plodded along with people not speaking out about the state of the club.

Coyle is quite happy to work under these ridiculous conditions and some people will embrace his positive attitude with no complaints.

I much prefer the Lambert approach of expecting and demanding better from the club and not being prepared to put up with being messed around by the people running it.

Care to explain that a little further? I "drew the conclusion" that (as I'm sick of reading) that this is another "blame the fans" style point.

As said, suspicions has been understandably rife with the Raos, however - not coming to the conclusion that "they signed a player on same day to get bad news out" regarding Irvine is in no way adding to the propaganda.

Genuine question - why do we have to criticise other fans or other view points? Does it validate our own? Malice intended or not, suggesting anyone who has an alternative opinion is "part of the problem" will only serve to cause arguments.

It's like if anyone who's renewed, thanking boycotters for hastening the decline everytime something bad happens. Certainly wouldn't last long on here doing that.

Nobody has blamed the fans in general, just the myopic ones.

myopic.

'Gav runs that one past Google'

Great word 47er, and I don't mean in context to the argument, not getting involved in that.

Not quite bunkum though, but getting there.

Part of the problem is that fans are blaming each other no matter what they do. Those who don't boycott or protest are blamed for being part of the problem, those who do boycott and protest are being blamed for harming the club. The reality is that neither is true. At the end of the day football and following Blackburn Rovers is a choice you make. Being optimistic or pessimistic is a choice you make. Having renewed I hope for the best and expect the worse, much like I have done for the majority of the 50 odd seasons I have followed the Rovers. What was once an essential forum for supporters is becoming increasingly marginalised because of the endless bickering and continually going round in ever decreasing circles.

It's a bit daft people keep saying hey the forum was great 10 years ago but it's not now. Well hey look at the club 10 years ago and look at it now. It's hardly surprising is it and that's the top and bottom of it.

No matter who comes and goes the mood in this place won't improve consistently until the club does.

Part of the problem is that fans are blaming each other no matter what they do. Those who don't boycott or protest are blamed for being part of the problem, those who do boycott and protest are being blamed for harming the club. The reality is that neither is true. At the end of the day football and following Blackburn Rovers is a choice you make. Being optimistic or pessimistic is a choice you make. Having renewed I hope for the best and expect the worse, much like I have done for the majority of the 50 odd seasons I have followed the Rovers. What was once an essential forum for supporters is becoming increasingly marginalised because of the endless bickering and continually going round in ever decreasing circles.

I don't think fans are blaming each other, you get the odd spat on here, but with only 20 posters consistently posting its hardly representative of the fan base Parson.

It's a bit daft people keep saying hey the forum was great 10 years ago but it's not now. Well hey look at the club 10 years ago and look at it now. It's hardly surprising is it and that's the top and bottom of it.

No matter who comes and goes the mood in this place won't improve consistently until the club does.

Just as much bickering in the good days as we have now, we just bickered about different things like the the color of the snack bar and how SteB has never bought me a drink.

I don't think fans are blaming each other, you get the odd spat on here, but with only 20 posters consistently posting its hardly representative of the fan base Parson.

Just as much bickering in the good days as we have now, we just bickered about different things like the the color of the snack bar.

I just meant on here Gav. Every thread eventually ends up the same and is probably the reason why so few are now posting.

Much of this resonates with me. Yes, I chose to be optimistic, when following Rovers to Scunthorpe, Swindon and Chelsea, for instance, when our chances of promotion were minimal. But this is not business as usual. These are not normal times.I don't trust the owners. I don't believe what the club tells us.What is happening at this club is wrong.

Supporters falling out with each other is a symptom of the Venky disease. It is also dilutes any protest.

Archived