BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Boycott Feeling

ABBEY

Not sure I understand your point here (as written).

Sorry Stu, I've personally not been to Ewood this season; prior to mid October because I was out of the country and after because I had other things to do. I hasten to add that in the past 50 years, Rovers home games were the first dates in my diary, never to be messed with. I'm not boycotting per se' but don't find 'the match day experience' worthwhile, I never ever thought I'd say that.

Whilst I fully understand everyones dissatisfaction at the current state of the club, I also know that the reduction in attendance revenue also reduces the attraction to potential new owners/investors. I can relate to all but I really believe that if certain games could be selected, either at home or away, where supporters could just be Rovers again, without an opinion and yes, 'get behind The Rovers', we may have a chance.

Without the support and revenue associated (I'm not blaming the fans but stating facts of life) we'll have a grim future.

I hope that clarifies.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Our debts will be far more of a concern to any potential investor than attendance. As JHRover mentioned in the other thread, it's going to be a drop in the ocean money-wise in comparison to the running costs and debts being taken on - assuming Venky's haven't written them off.

Plus, if Venky's ever sell attendances are already low enough that really the only way they can go is up.

Sorry Stu, I've personally not been to Ewood this season; prior to mid October because I was out of the country and after because I had other things to do. I hasten to add that in the past 50 years, Rovers home games were the first dates in my diary, never to be messed with. I'm not boycotting per se' but don't find 'the match day experience' worthwhile, I never ever thought I'd say that.

Whilst I fully understand everyones dissatisfaction at the current state of the club, I also know that the reduction in attendance revenue also reduces the attraction to potential new owners/investors. I can relate to all but I really believe that if certain games could be selected, either at home or away, where supporters could just be Rovers again, without an opinion and yes, 'get behind The Rovers', we may have a chance.

Without the support and revenue associated (I'm not blaming the fans but stating facts of life) we'll have a grim future.

I hope that clarifies.

Thanks. Re the bit in bold, a lot of people are thinking the same way. It's a miserable experience both going to watch the games and just being a Rovers fan at the minute.

I don't blame anyone for not going. There's a fine line though. As you say, by not being there, the crowd numbers won't impress anyone but while there is no prospect of the belligerent Venkys even talking to potential buyers, it's almost a moot point.

We have to find a way to hurt Venkys. Legally, of course. Right now affecting their reputation and income stream seem the only way. Given that our immediate future is tied to theirs it's a dangerous game. The fans are completely on their own. Those running the club can't or won't do anything and the local media care about as much as Venkys. Presumably due to dwindling sales they rely on other revenue as much as Rovers do.

:(

Thanks. Re the bit in bold, a lot of people are thinking the same way. It's a miserable experience both going to watch the games and just being a Rovers fan at the minute.

I don't blame anyone for not going. There's a fine line though. As you say, by not being there, the crowd numbers won't impress anyone but while there is no prospect of the belligerent Venkys even talking to potential buyers, it's almost a moot point.

We have to find a way to hurt Venkys. Legally, of course. Right now affecting their reputation and income stream seem the only way. Given that our immediate future is tied to theirs it's a dangerous game. The fans are completely on their own. Those running the club can't or won't do anything and the local media care about as much as Venkys. Presumably due to dwindling sales they rely on other revenue as much as Rovers do.

:(

Sadly, financially, I think none attendance is counter productive.

What else could be done?: either a smoking gun needs to ignite or we need to hire a 'Michaela Strachan' (less the her) and take the buggers out!

Sadly, financially, I think none attendance is counter productive.

What else could be done?: either a smoking gun needs to ignite or we need to hire a 'Michaela Strachan' (less the her) and take the buggers out!

I'm old enough to get that joke.

I'm old enough to get that joke.

't wasn't a joke but I get your point!

hey ho Stu' wouldn't it be great to debate a substitution, three points in the bag and looking forward to the next home game? does anyone look forward to the next home game?

Not like it ever was........

't wasn't a joke but I get your point!

hey ho Stu' wouldn't it be great to debate a substitution, three points in the bag and looking forward to the next home game? does anyone look forward to the next home game?

Not like it ever was........

Indeed it would. Trouble is, with Coyle, the debate about subs concerns his ability to throw games away because of them.

Football today is no longer about being owned by the local butcher, baker and candlestick maker. Look at the takeovers that are happening and they are large concerns from every corner of the world who see potential profit from owning football clubs, particularly in the Premier League and Championship. I would love to go back to how the game was forty or fifty years ago but it isn't going to happen.

So things WERE different in the 70's then?

disappointed by appointing Coyle when we could have got Warnock or Joyce or look for lower league manager like Keith Hill or Gareth Ainsworth. I felt we could have got a Simon Grayson if we showed some ambition

But then I realised that I would miss attending games and supporting my club.

You did not want Warnock did you

You haven't answered the question about the Wolves game

Looking around yesterday I'd of guessed the real attendance of around 7k

The club is on its knees

My concern is when is the end game as it doesn't look like they'll sell the club or admin it so what next.. The likely scenario is they'll completely shut it down when there are very little assets left or they can't get the credit from Boi or whoever to keep the club going

I'm a boycotter but I cracked and went on the Blackburn End today (again)...have you seen the 100,000,000 Holes synopsis of BRFC's current existential plight as a result of the last 6 years of the Venkys stewardship of our team?

Stuart and Parsons Blue - your difference of opinion is irrelevant in Rovers' ongoing decline.

Big protests or little protests or oblivious no protest - all that really matters is how best you as an individual cope or deal with what is occurring at Ewood Park.

It doesn't really matter if Blackpool or Charlton or whoever seem to be more robust in their approach to confronting poor/dire ownership. We have shouted in an empty room for the last 5 or 6 years...most of our protests have been a form of therapy or a coping mechanism. The protests won't necessarily provide a silver bullet against the monsters that have abused and contaminated our club but that does not make them any less worthwhile.

This sums it up

It isn't about coping or protesting, the fact that nothing is happening is down to the fact as to where can fans realistically go? Everyone is pointing fingers at each other and not one person is willing to try and seek out and understand the differences between the clustered fans base in order to unite everyone. By uniting I don't mean protesting necessarily but at least moving together towards a common goal that everyone can rally behind.

It isn't about coping or protesting, the fact that nothing is happening is down to the fact as to where can fans realistically go? Everyone is pointing fingers at each other and not one person is willing to try and seek out and understand the differences between the clustered fans base in order to unite everyone. By uniting I don't mean protesting necessarily but at least moving together towards a common goal that everyone can rally behind.

This. Incredible that everyone has the same goals yet everyone can't come together.

So, taking away protests and boycotts and 'getting behind the lads', what common ground does the current fanbase have?

Well, we all care about Blackburn Rovers FC and all those arguing the toss about it all post on this messageboard.

Right let's start there. How do we unite all a majority of the fans? (Assuming that this wasn't the whole point of WAR).

How do we get Parsonblue and Abbey on the same page? Answers on a postcard - or just a post.

So, taking away protests and boycotts and 'getting behind the lads', what common ground does the current fanbase have?

Well, we all care about Blackburn Rovers FC and all those arguing the toss about it all post on this messageboard.

Right let's start there. How do we unite all a majority of the fans? (Assuming that this wasn't the whole point of WAR).

How do we get Parsonblue and Abbey on the same page? Answers on a postcard - or just a post.

Surely both agree that Venkys need to go. That's common ground, work from there. They're both rovers fans, both massively give a @#/?.

Surely both agree that Venkys need to go. That's common ground, work from there. They're both rovers fans, both massively give a @#/?.

I'm not convinced everyone thinks Venkys need to go. Not without an alternative...

The answer Stuart, this is a general remark not towards you, is twofold; stop talking about it and get on with it and take everything on to the street.

Those who have previously lead action have been divisive. What is required is an individual(s) who will set out a course and stay with it.

Much of the web based initiative is wasted by preaching to the converted. Any campaign needs to be focused on fans who do not use the web. No one has done that in six years.

If a campaign is well thought out with clear achievable objectives getting people who are currently perceived as against any form of action onside would not be difficult.

The issues surrounding achieving this are obvious but there is no leadership to tackle them.

Personally I feel many opportunities have passed by with no action from the "groups"and it is now too late. The only chance left is should the club become available to buy Currie and Battersby are still interested.

Archived