SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Reading

Mercer

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd be right.

It's also undoubtedly the worst management, board and owners in 141 years and therein lies the problem.

Didn't see any representation from Blackburn Rovers at Blackburns Cathedral community carol service last night.

It cleared about 11am so had a lively and lovely walk up Billinge Hill, Alum Scar and Salmesbury Bottoms. I could see the Ewood, Blackpool and Dumpdale floodlights from the Wainwright Memorial

The gate today was 7,650.

I hope you get your Birthday 3 points.

I agree. I don't like smarty pants. Mind you.........

Up yours!

Yet they'd have us believe that over 2k people bought tickets for this game.

There were loads of kids around me in the JW upper. I can well believe that they sold 2K tickets but mostly at £2 each.

Bowyer was fired after the 1-1 Brentford game. We were in 16th place at 3-8-5, so 17 points in 16 games, or 1.06 points per game. So, ~49 points over the whole year. That pace would have put us tied with Rotherham in 21st, well ahead of Charlton's 40 points. People forget how rubbish Charlton, MK Dons (39), and Bolton (30) were...

So just above the dropzone by virtue of those three teams being worse than us, rather a significant superiority. And that's presuming results didn't deteriorate further under Bowyer, which seems more likely than not. I'm not sure how anyone can say hand on heart that he would've kept us up that year without the benefit of hindsight.

Second, and while you're welcome to not accept this at all, we were on an improved run of form before Bowyer was fired, and if that form had kept up, we would have easily been mid-table.

You can't take a small sample size of games and extrapolate it like that. We had a three game unbeaten run under Coyle the other month before normal service was a resumed.

• Backroom

The Observer newspaper quotes our Owen saying we deserved 3 points.

Is that true or does he need a lobotomy?

He must have found SK's "should have" league table. Think we've been top of that every year since Venky's arrived.

We played well yesterday. Gallagher won more headers than he has all season, we created a lot of good chances but only took two, picked up a lot of second balls and most of the game kept Reading pushed back.

Reading had three good chances and took them all. Two of those goals were a direct result of the midfield not tracking back, especially so for the winner.

At no point did I think we would lose but I feared we would because that's how it's goung for Rovers this season. 2-2 would have been fair and Reading couldn't complain if Rovers had won.

If Reading are the standard for the playoffs it's not a big ask - not that I think we are consistent enough for that. We were robbed of a point at Deepdale, awful on Tuesday and much improved yesterday.

I had a good afternoon for 92 minutes.

No it's not true. Yes we had lots of chances and a lot of possession especially in the second half but we contrived to miss most of them. I thought that a draw would have been fair. We were so much on top at the end that I welcomed the 5 minutes injury time thinking that if anybody was likely to score a winner it would be Rovers. How wrong can you be?

Thanks Paul. I was not at Ewood so will take your word for it.

I've seen the last three games Mike and our problem is some games we are awful (Tuesday), others we don't get the rub of the green (Evans 100% penalty at Deepdale), yesterday played well but when we had a thunderbolt shot off the bar it goes in the DE. Reading hit the bar in exactly the same spot and it bounces down for their guy to pass it in to an open goal.

When you're down at the bottom............

Every now and then I can see what the manager and team are trying to do but too often we seem to forget for the whole match!!

Wes Brown amazed me. I never thought he would last the whole game because of lack of match practice.

He seems to be better than Greer. When all are fit again I'd like to see Brown partner Hoban which would release Lenihan and Mulgrew to centre midfield.

Then we might have a chance of staying up.

I think a draw would've been a fair result but, if we're talking about the rub of the green, I don't think Reading's keeper touched the ball when we were awarded a corner which led to our second equaliser.

Reading had a couple of decent half chances before they took the lead.

None of our defenders reacted when the ball came back off the bar immediately before their second.

The bottom line is that results and our league position are entirely predictable based on our choice of manager.

I think a draw would've been a fair result but, if we're talking about the rub of the green, I don't think Reading's keeper touched the ball when we were awarded a corner which led to our second equaliser.

Reading had a couple of decent half chances before they took the lead.

None of our defenders reacted when the ball came back off the bar immediately before their second.

The bottom line is that results and our league position are entirely predictable based on our choice of manager.

I can tell for Sure he didn't touch it.

had a brilliant view of it

Wes Brown amazed me. I never thought he would last the whole game because of lack of match practice.

He seems to be better than Greer. When all are fit again I'd like to see Brown partner Hoban which would release Lenihan and Mulgrew to centre midfield.

Then we might have a chance of staying up.

He did well but he should have been replaced before the last 15 minutes. His legs have gone and he relies on his experience. He was turned easily for their third goal.

He did well but he should have been replaced before the last 15 minutes. His legs have gone and he relies on his experience. He was turned easily for their third goal.

Agreed. But still he did well to last the 95 minutes. He can only get fitter with games under his belt.

I agree his legs have gone but he slipped as he turned for the third goal

I can tell for Sure he didn't touch it.

had a brilliant view of it

If you're thinking of the shot which was low past the keeper's right hand post the big screen showed he did touch it.

Archived