BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Citeh 1989

Jock

We had the DE for a game v City. I think we won 2-1. Must have been 1988 I would reckon. Same period as that incredible 3-3 draw with Leicester when we came from 3-1 down and Hendry scored in the last minute. This was during the long unbeaten run.

Happy days.

3 hours ago, meadows said:

Was it officially shared"? I'm trying to think if there were ever any turnstiles in the Riverside corner of the Darwen End? I thought the only entrances and exits were at the Nuttall St side. Could you walk the length of the Darwen End outside or did it back straight into a factory? 

In1969 of course City at home in the cup  Ewood's  last ever 40,000 gate there was no segregation. Your ticket whether you bought it from us or City simply said "ground admission" and was valid for anywhere terraced other than the Enclosure. 

Somebody on a thread earlier asked which was "our end" at Wembley in 1960. I'm pretty sure there'd be no such thing then. Look at film off Pathe of old cup finals & fans inter mingle happily. 

You can see YouTube footage of a 1966 FA Cup tie at home to Wednesday where it's clear we have fans in the Darwen End just as they do in the Blackburn End 

we were stood in Darwen  Nuttall street side , the city fans were more towards the riverside , but as kick off got closer and fans from both teams tried getting in it all got mixed up probably 87 88 ish something like that ... i am sure my cousin still remembers :o

"Blackburn Rovers who have been nigh on unbeatable in the 2nd division for six months.......Millar, Archibald, Price, Garner.....it's in!!!! 3-3 Astonishing!!!!"

What great commentary for the equalising goal. I had this recorded on VHS as a kid and almost wore it out. Just look at the Darwen enders going bonkers :D

Amazing times to be a kid watching Rovers. I weep for the Venky era kids fed on the current diet of absolute dogswill

Here's a match I haven't seen again for nearly 30 years (I could only ever find the heartbreaking 2nd leg)

Play off Final 1st Leg vs Palace at Ewood (DO NOT WATCH THE 2ND LEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shameful day for George Courtney and for football as the game was allowed to play for about 15 minutes with home fans stood right on the touchline)

30 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

"Blackburn Rovers who have been nigh on unbeatable in the 2nd division for six months.......Millar, Archibald, Price, Garner.....it's in!!!! 3-3 Astonishing!!!!"

What great commentary for the equalising goal. I had this recorded on VHS as a kid and almost wore it out. Just look at the Darwen enders going bonkers :D

Amazing times to be a kid watching Rovers. I weep for the Venky era kids fed on the current diet of absolute dogswill

Shaun,  I wish I could triple 'like' this.  Great game I remember thanks to you.

43 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Thanks Shaun. Still one of my favourite games ever. Look at that Leicester side - McAllister, Newell, Walsh and they were only mid - table!!! It just shows that , despite the huge amounts of cash in the Championship now, the quality of players is nowhere near as good.

Brilliant that Shaun. Thanks.

I agree, my lad is twelve in a fortnight. About 6 years he's been going. He and his mates all wear Rovers shirts out and about. God bless em. They'll not know what to do with themselves if they ever see a good team. 

Sell The Club.

13 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Brilliant. Cheers. Scotty Sellars was some player. That Reid who scored two for them looked a cracker as well.

Goosebumps .... :rover::rover: you know .. I bet the attendence that day wouldn't be much more than what we roughly get now but , what noise eh ? .. Just telling the boy "that's how it used to be" gets me angry and upset

On 10/02/2017 at 1:09 PM, AJW said:

There was Definatley a game vs city ,a couple of years before that game , i think it was when the riverside ws being rebuilt , that the Darwen was "shared" between city and rovers supporters , we scored their fans surged and my cousin was crushed against one of the metal barriers , a scary prelude to what was going to happen at Hillsborough

I remember that. As I recall there was a line of  stewards/police, or both, all the way down the DE separating the two groups of fans. The split was about about a quarter of the way along the terrace nearest the Nuttall St Stand. I remember it because I was directly across from it on the BBE, and for the fact that it kept kicking off with punches being thrown across the divide. Some pretty vicious fighting as i recall and for those within punching distance of each other it must have been a painful afternoon because there was nowhere for them to go because it was packed. 

Simpler times!  

City had been allocated the enclosure as Jock mentions, but many had got tickets in the Darwen end and it kicked off throughout the match, I seem to recall all hell breaking loose when a City scarf was set on fire at the back of the Darwen end.

Oh the memories, although vague these days I must admit, no idea if we won or not.

I was in Darwen End that day and  can't remember there being more than a few City fans in there who got a kicking  and quickly left.  City were a fairly small club in them days and they had the enclosure and the seats behind which would be more than enough for their support.  Great times though with us in both ends still a Ewood..  

13 hours ago, Gav said:

City had been allocated the enclosure as Jock mentions, but many had got tickets in the Darwen end and it kicked off throughout the match, I seem to recall all hell breaking loose when a City scarf was set on fire at the back of the Darwen end.

Oh the memories, although vague these days I must admit, no idea if we won or not.

That's it Gav, the scarf and it kicking off. I knew I hadn't dreamt being in the Darwen End against City. City also had Mick Stowell in nets who had played for my old school. He was a tosser. We did win but cant remember the score.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:58 AM, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Don't know how but I ended up in the Nuttall st Enclosure Darwen end side for the Palace game!

How the hell did we end up giving Palace fans the Darwen End?...something's never change.

That was a daft move really seeing as they were never going to fill it and then down at theirs all Rovers got was that bit in the corner of about 2.5k which certainly played into their hands.

Archived