BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Owl in peace

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calls for Raya?

I don't understand, he will have regressed just as much as Steele.

Steele whilst not brilliant, certainly wasn't poor under Lambert or as bad as he has been under Coyle.

I put this down to Lawrence Batty (GK coach) leaving with Lambert and employing Phil Hughes with Coyle.

The down graded didn't stop with just the players and expectations, it continued on the club staff.

2 hours ago, koi said:

Those were the days; nice warm evening, Wilcox and Ripley running riot down the flanks, Sutton and Gallagher the Scab causing havoc around the box, Flitty and Billy Mac beating the midfield up, hell, even Lars got in on the act.  Now, anything less than three points for Wednesday and they've dropped points.  Thanks Venky's.

Flitty and Billy Mac. Best midfield I've seen. Pity Sherwood recovered from injury at that time.

I think Wednesday will go nap; or is it knap?  5-0 or 5-1.

There was a game at Hillsborough back in the 60s when the Owls were 5-0 up at half time. Rovers won the second half 4-0 so lost the game 5-4. Nothing like that tonight.

I was going to say that we'll get hammered followed by the usual Coyle mention of how much the opposition have spent.

But Coil has already said it!

Just the heavy defeat to come now.

I thought Senior said that he rebuilt Wednesday's squad without spending any money?

8 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Calls for Raya?

Steele whilst not brilliant, certainly wasn't poor under Lambert or as bad as he has been under Coyle.

I put this down to Lawrence Batty (GK coach) leaving with Lambert and employing Phil Hughes with Coyle.

The down graded didn't stop with just the players and expectations, it continued on the club staff.

Sorry, how on earth could you say he's regressed as much as Steele with him hardly playing in the first team this season? We know Steele is crap, Raya probably is crap but we don't know for sure. Steele costs us at least a goal every two games and was at fault for the one against Rotherham, seems like he can make as many mistakes as he wants without being dropped.

Just now, sirobozne said:

Sorry, how on earth could you say he's regressed as much as Steele with him hardly playing in the first team this season? We know Steele is crap, Raya probably is crap but we don't know for sure. Steele costs us at least a goal every two games and was at fault for the one against Rotherham, seems like he can make as many mistakes as he wants without being dropped.

Your missing the point...

He's regressed but why? Look at the common factors.

I wouldn't be risking Raya in a league game personally.

They took a look at Raya early last season then put Steele back in pretty sharpish so i think that's all we need to know on that one. If the 2nd keeper can't oust Steele who was 3rd choice at Boro before they needlessly wasted money on him then he ain't up to much. Either that or as usual they're holding out hope of a fee for JS at some point so keep playing him.

Sitting on his arse and coasting along in training won't have done Raya much good at all, he was already a bag of nerves who often couldn't hold on to simple shots so now is definitely not the time to whazz him in.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

All while Robinson sits on the bench at Burnley. We could use someone of his experience around now. 

You might find this surprising but i 100% agree. Steele has done nothing in his time here that Robbo couldn't still have done imo although i understand the need to get rid of big wages but Steele cost money and it's all supposed to be about collecting points not carrying some agents players in the hope of increasing value.

35 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Calls for Raya?

Disagree a bit there pal although Steele was a bit better last season than this his form went downhill after they got rid of Keeley. I went in early nearly every game and used to watch all the keepers warm up and imo the warm up routine of Keeley and Batty where worlds apart and you could tell the 2 keepers weren't into it the same.

Keeleys was very thorough and intense and he had a wicked left foot on him, that Batty looked like he was on 15 pints a night and could barely hit the ball from outside the box. Typical football though, jobs for the boys first the best for the job second :o

Just now, tomphil said:

You might find this surprising but i 100% agree. Steele has done nothing in his time here that Robbo couldn't still have done imo although i understand the need to get rid of big wages but Steele cost money and it's all supposed to be about collecting points not carrying some agents players in the hope of increasing value.

I almost fell off my chair :D

I don't know how much Robinson is on at Burnley, I know he was on around 30,000 here. I reckon he would be worth whatever he is on over there to us(I'm guessing 10-15,000). A good ,solid goalkeeper is the foundation of any team. Like strikers, we have always been lucky insofar as we have had great ones. Not now unfortunately. 

Just now, tomphil said:

They took a look at Raya early last season then put Steele back in pretty sharpish so i think that's all we need to know on that one. If the 2nd keeper can't oust Steele who was 3rd choice at Boro before they needlessly wasted money on him then he ain't up to much. Either that or as usual they're holding out hope of a fee for JS at some point so keep playing him.

Sitting on his arse and coasting along in training won't have done Raya much good at all, he was already a bag of nerves who often couldn't hold on to simple shots so now is definitely not the time to whazz him in.

Steele and Raya are much of a muchness for me: both pull off the odd worldie save but equally both are prone to an error or two per match. Raya may well come good in time though - Steele will forever be a bang average lower-half Championship (or L1) GK.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Steele and Raya appear quite similar to me: both pull off the odd worldie saves but equally both prone to an error or three per match. Raya may well come good in time though - Steele will forever be a bang average lower-half Championship (or L1) GK.

Agree and if Raya had been out somewhere getting more 1st team games under his belt he may have been ready to step in now. Steele as you say will always be what be is although i'm sure a decent settled defense would have helped him a bit but he was still found wanting when he had that. I can see them moving him out in summer though because of wages then next season we'll have to hope the rookie can handle it otherwise more points dropped regularly.

Just now, tomphil said:

Agree and if Raya had been out somewhere getting more 1st team games under his belt he may have been ready to step in now. Steele as you say will always be what be is although i'm sure a decent settled defense would have helped him a bit but he was still found wanting when he had that. I can see them moving him out in summer though because of wages then next season we'll have to hope the rookie can handle it otherwise more points dropped regularly.

A good goalkeeper should lead the defense to a point. Does Steele talk much during a game? 

I think Steele is very similar to most Championship keepers, liable to make mistakes, hence playing at this level. Steele's problem is he is forced to make more saves than most keepers ergo has more opportunity to drop clangers. I reckon he is probably on par with most keepers, they just have to do a lot less work than him. So in summary I think all the vast majority of championship keepers are rank average and are largely saved or scuppered by whats in front of them.

13 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

We are gonna take a hammering here but I would role out:

----------Steele--------

Lowe-- Lenihan--Greer--Williams 

---------Akpan----Mulgrew-------

Mahoney-----Emnes-----Bennett

-------------Gallagher-------------

When Ambrose and Hoban get cleared I'd start those two at the back. Not great but I think that's our best front 6.

Probably as good as it gets but are the two centre backs very doubtful?

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

That's like saying Mahoney shouldn't be in because he hasn't been able to oust Feeney all season... are you forgetting who the manager is?

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Your missing the point...

He's regressed but why? Look at the common factors.

I wouldn't be risking Raya in a league game personally.

But you would risk Steele, who cost us at least one goal every two games?

Wouldn't have thought whether to replace Steele with Raya was at the top of our list of priorities but Raya looked extremely assured in the Cup game against QPR away so I'd have no reservations at all about putting him in if necessary.

As for tonight's game would instead of us losing by the default scoreline of 3-2 would like to see us winning by the same score with Rhodes bagging a brace. Unfortunately can only see a defeat with sods law dictating Rhodes scores.

Whether or not 2 thumping defeats in the next 2 games will see the back of Coyle, who knows? Would rather we won them but can't see it.

4 minutes ago, sirobozne said:

That's like saying Mahoney shouldn't be in because he hasn't been able to oust Feeney all season... are you forgetting who the manager is?

But you would risk Steele, who cost us at least one goal every two games?

Not really is it seeing the risk factor is far higher when talking about your keeper making a mistake (which he did do a few times early last season in only about 5 games ) and a forward dropping a clanger. At this point in the season it's a gamble not worth taking although if Steele does balls up again then it might be worth a change but i'll be honest i wasn't that impressed with Raya. I think he'll be no 1 next season though after the summer cull so he'll get his chance.

Archived