SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Balaji Rao phone call audio

RV Blue

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

There is no way of DEFINITIVELY proving the clip is real.

The call was made to the Indian number which was (maybe still is, haven't checked) listed under the name Balaji Rao on a networking site (LinkedIn?), which enlisted Venky's as part his profile.

The caller simply rang that number at a cost of nearly £10 and the person who answered had an Indian accent, acknowledged themselves as Balaji and talked about Rovers in an aloof way.

That's everything I know about the call, I hope it's proof enough.

I have to say, not sure what all of the fuss is about. 

Even if the call is real, which I have no reason to doubt that it isn't, it does not reveal very much. 

He is painfully unaware of the goings on at the club, that is no surprise. The fake compliment to Mowbray (whether he meant seven or several) is meaningless and is nothing more than many new employers would say to an employee when first meeting or interacting with them. 

Personally I find it to be a slight waste of the opportunity and access. Rather than clearly blowing the cover by asking about the supporters, there was an actual opportunity to ask real questions about budget, investment, transfer targets, and plans. As it is we have a phone call that probably shows that one of our owners has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to the club. We have known that for several (seven) years now. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Even if the call is real, which I have no reason to doubt that it isn't, it does not reveal very much. 

Actually, there are a few things we can definitively take from this (assuming you've concluded that the call is genuine!), to which you've even alluded to...

Balaji Rao has either never heard Tony Mowbray talk before or, if he has, has paid very little attention to him. You would SURELY know somebody's accent over the phone. The fact that Balaji Rao did not say anything specific about Mowbray (admired you for several years is the closest thing he said), it was totally generic speak. There is nothing to me that indicates Balaji Rao knows anything about Tony Mowbray. I think this says a lot, even if we suspected it already.

I saw a post elsewhere speculating that Balaji Rao could now be running the show via Senior. Based on that phone call, surely it couldn't be further from the truth! If anything, the call indicates how aloof Balaji Rao is from the situation. He doesn't have a clue.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just find it interesting that so many people are unquestionably believing that someone just picked up the phone and called balaji rao. Particularly as one of the main complaints about the owners is how difficult they are to get in touch with. With the kicker being there is absolutely zero evidence to prove the call happened. 

Anyways,that's me done on this thread. Until the evidence is produced and I will be back to eat my words :)

I think the point most are missing is that even the person who made the call can't be certain who they were speaking to.  If someone can pick up a phone and pretend to be Tony Mowbray...

• Backroom
Just now, Rover-the-Top said:

I think the point most are missing is that even the person who made the call can't be certain who they were speaking to.  If someone can pick up a phone and pretend to be Tony Mowbray...

The number was taken from a legit professional network, I believe.

Just now, Rover-the-Top said:

Over in Venkys HQ the staff are going to the receptionist who answered pretending to be Balaji "prove that it was Tony Mowbray..." Reynash You are so full of S#&# ,you told is you were speaking with Owen Coyle last week"

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just find it interesting that so many people are unquestionably believing that someone just picked up the phone and called balaji rao. Particularly as one of the main complaints about the owners is how difficult they are to get in touch with. With the kicker being there is absolutely zero evidence to prove the call happened. 

Anyways,that's me done on this thread. Until the evidence is produced and I will be back to eat my words :)

You are new. When you've been around here long enough you start to learn whose word has credibility and whose doesn't. :)

Im not one of them. :unsure:

Neither are you. ;) 

Just now, renrag said:

I just don't see that argument regarding a non native speaker. As I replied to an earlier post, would you know the difference between, say, a Mumbai and a Pune accent which are roughly the same distance as Blackburn is to Stockton 

In the UK, I think we have the most variety of accents imaginable. Go from one town to another, just several (seven) miles apart, and you'll likely find a distinguishable accent. Does India have as much of a variety? I would have thought an English-speaker from a foreign country would be able to tell the difference between a cockney and a Mancunian, or a Teesider and a Lancastrian.

I disagree. I meet plenty of non-English anglophones who could never tell the difference between English, Australian, and South African accents. I then know plenty who cannot tell the difference between even thick regional accents. It is even less surprising that a foreigner might fail to do this when faced with a fairly thick regional accent to start with and when dealing with a call that they did not expect and would probably assume to be genuine to start with. 

I have lived in France for a number of years and my French is good, but there are many times that I can tell no difference between French accents that French people notice immediately. 

Just now, Phil T said:

In the UK, I think we have the most variety of accents imaginable. Go from one town to another, just several (seven) miles apart, and you'll likely find a distinguishable accent. Does India have as much of a variety? I would have thought an English-speaker from a foreign country would be able to tell the difference between a cockney and a Mancunian, or a Teesider and a Lancastrian.

Most foreigners have no idea. I'm constantly being asked here in Canada if I'm Australian!

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You are new. When you've been around here long enough you start to learn whose word has credibility and whose doesn't. :)

Im not one of them. :unsure:

Neither are you. ;) 

I don't see anything wrong with anyone questioning whether or not the call is real, nor do I see any reason for the person to be attacked. 

Just now, Eddie said:

I don't see anything wrong with anyone questioning whether or not the call is real, nor do I see any reason for the person to be attacked. 

Wow, now there's a blast from the past. Hope you are well eddie, been a few years since you've posted :)

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Over in Venkys HQ the staff are going to the receptionist who answered pretending to be Balaji "prove that it was Tony Mowbray..." Reynash You are so full of S#&# ,you told is you were speaking with Owen Coyle last week"

Er, you said you were finished on the subject, that didn't last long

:lol:

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Rover-the-Top said:

I don't doubt it, but it still doesn't guarantee the person who answers is who you think it is. 

True as that may be, that's kind of the whole point of LinkedIn

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

You may be right I don't know but personally I can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian and that's two different countries.

EDIT - Sorry I see you later conceded the point.

22 minutes ago, Al said:

You may be right I don't know but personally I can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian and that's two different countries.

It's aboot time you learned.

8 hours ago, chor808 said:

Don't check and don't be pushed into anything. Someone is digging to find out who it is. Don't bite, we can all make our own minds up. I would leave it as is whatever you do don't go sharing details like phone bills, mistakes can get made and the persons name can get out.

As an older head I say drop it and let people decide there is zero to gain from proving anything.

As another older head I heartily second this. What is the point of trying to prove something that most of us believe, could involve the perpetrator in bother and, in the end, will only further enhance the ego of a newbie no-mark who has already stated he was just "having a laugh"?

Archived