BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Nottingham Forest Away

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JohnD said:

Perhaps you could compare your response to my original post with the considered and intelligent response from Mercer?

Then you would understand why I find you boring.

Perhaps your going around in circles, strange considering your so bored. Somehow I get the impression this is fun to you, makes you feel kind of big. Now if you've anything else to say or any other insults take it to DM i'm quite happy to chat all night.

Just now, JohnD said:

Yawn, you have nothing to offer that is of interest and I can assure you I'm sufficiently mature and comfortable that I never need to "feel big", g'night young tomphil.

Night John Dingle your insults won't wash with me bud I deal with goons on a daily basis.

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Duffy, Hanley, Marshall and Cairney were streets ahead of Mahoney!

He's young and raw and offers absolutely nothing to Rovers when has hasn't got the ball. We simply aren't good enough to carry him for 90 minutes. Perhaps he will blossom in later years but, in this poor team, he's a luxury we can't afford.

Well put.

20 hours ago, Commondore said:

It's too late to throw Raya into the lion's den now, but he should have been given a real chance long ago. Steele might very well be the individual player who's most to blame for how this season has turned out. 

Hardly the lion's den when we are already down. Literally can't be any worse than Steele, so why not?

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'll refer you to your first answer to me asking what you suggest after you'd basically written off Mahoney. There is a large hint of irony in the above don't you think ?  Then you have the nerve to complain about people disagreeing.

Well he didn't... "Perhaps he will blossom in later years but, in this poor team, he's a luxury we can't afford." Hardly writing him off.

What Rovers need are the leaders to show leadership.

Lowe is not a leader. Yes he can run but that is his limit, 90% of his passing is backwards.

Steele - needs to grow a pair and organise his defence.

Nyambe, Ward, Hoban and Williams need to be organised as a defence. There are 2 experienced defenders who should between them be able to organise the defence to be as one and defend.

Bennett, Guthrie, Akpan and Conway is a midfield that between them can stay organised if they stick together and press/defend to support the defence.

Gallagher, Joao, Emnes, Graham and Stokes between them are a handful. Its picking the right two to start with. If fit, I would go Graham and Emnes. Gally and Joao offer different options as impact subs, even Stokes offers something different especially in the air and even more so with a massive point to prove that he is good enough and coming on the back of the 2 goals he scored midweek.

So there are options across the board and I just hope the 11 sent out play with pride and passion. If we can score first then Forest will wobble like we did at home to Barnsley. That has to be the goal from the off, score and then defend like hell. We have done it in bigger games and this is the quality needed again in the next 5 games.

KEEP LOWE off the park.

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Not much there for me to disagree with. On Saturday he put two great crosses in that were worthy of a goal at the end of them. Barnsley managed him reasonably well and I just feel that when the chips are down we don't have the players to support carrying him for the full 90 minutes.

Fair summary every time he went down the wing he was double team. He didn't have much time on the ball. He's young and will learn from it 

Once upon a time Forest were Rovers' rabbits.

Remember beating them 7-0 home and 5-1 away.

We even beat them 3-0 at the City Ground in our 1966 relegation season...

We just need points- like 3 of them. Please Mr Easter Bunny?

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Well put.

Another rocket scientist I see.

Then you go on about throwing Raya in lol you must be salivating at the prospect of another young player to then slag off when he proves he isn't up to. 

1 hour ago, cesus said:

I'm surprised to read in today's telegraph that Ward has been fit throughout Mowbrays time at the club. He really mustn't think much of him if Brown gets the nod ahead of him!

To be fair, Ward has never pulled up any trees when he has started. As you say, can't be worse than Brown, but he wouldn't be anywhere close to the levels of Lenihan or Mulgrew,

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Another rocket scientist I see.

Then you go on about throwing Raya in lol you must be salivating at the prospect of another young player to then slag off when he proves he isn't up to. 

Are you ok? Not rating one young player doesn't mean I don't rate all young players.... I know it might seem like I'm a rocket scientist to you, but to people of average intelligence, it isn't that difficult to work out.

I was delighted to see Mahoney start Saturday but in hindsight maybe impact sub is better suited at the moment. What we have enjoyed from him so far is he's come on with half an hour to play and he just runs at the defence creating all sorts of problems when the defence is tired but that is easy to do for 30mins, when playing 90 you have to pace yourself differently and it's hard to continue to be so attacking for the entire game. Also in every game their are periods where you are on the back foot and I don't think he has the experience to deal with that quite yet especially when so much is on the line and the pressure is on.

i would prefer to try keep shape for 60 mins still be in the game and then throw him on if we need a late charge.

I thought we would bounce back against Barnsley and that there was no need to panic! Wrong again!

Struggling to maintain much optimism, but whilst there is still something left to play for I am expecting maximum focus, effort and renewed commitment from our underachieving multi-millionaires.

Which based on this years performances is probably way too much to ask.

I have literally zero respect or affinity with any member of the playing staff. They can all go for me. A bunch of overpaid, underachieving mercenaries with little respect or in common for the lasting institution they represent. Understandable in some respects with the pathetic leadership displayed from above.

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

I was delighted to see Mahoney start Saturday but in hindsight maybe impact sub is better suited at the moment. What we have enjoyed from him so far is he's come on with half an hour to play and he just runs at the defence creating all sorts of problems when the defence is tired but that is easy to do for 30mins, when playing 90 you have to pace yourself differently and it's hard to continue to be so attacking for the entire game. Also in every game their are periods where you are on the back foot and I don't think he has the experience to deal with that quite yet especially when so much is on the line and the pressure is on.

i would prefer to try keep shape for 60 mins still be in the game and then throw him on if we need a late charge.

Yep sensible post and probably back to being impact sub is best as is usually the case with raw young players. He's proven useful for that so it's better than tossing him away already because he isn't Damien Duff to our purists.

Just now, tomphil said:

Yep sensible post and probably back to being impact sub is best as is usually the case with raw young players. He's proven useful for that so it's better than tossing him away already because he isn't Damien Duff to our purists.

Yeah to put so much responsibility on a 20 year old is a little too much. If we push him to much too early he won't enjoy the experience of breaking into the squad and the excitement of getting time on the pitch. However it does show how poor our squad is when we are arguing about a 20 year old and whether he should be starting regularly. I think that TM has the experience to protect him, however I feel if we put him on some sort of pedestal he might get the idea that he should be starting regularly and might make a rash decision to move on and end up with less than he already has. 

I think next season will be huge for him if he stays, he'll get a lot more time next season if we are in L1 and will allow him to really gain first team experience. But then again money talks and if he gets the right offer he could have his head turned.

Just now, JonnyP said:

Yeah to put so much responsibility on a 20 year old is a little too much. If we push him to much too early he won't enjoy the experience of breaking into the squad and the excitement of getting time on the pitch. However it does show how poor our squad is when we are arguing about a 20 year old and whether he should be starting regularly. I think that TM has the experience to protect him, however I feel if we put him on some sort of pedestal he might get the idea that he should be starting regularly and might make a rash decision to move on and end up with less than he already has. 

I think next season will be huge for him if he stays, he'll get a lot more time next season if we are in L1 and will allow him to really gain first team experience. But then again money talks and if he gets the right offer he could have his head turned.

Many similarities to when Wilcox was thrown in through mostly desperation and to just try something else but of course physically he was nowhere near up to it and some got on his back straight away, a 19 year old or whatever 10 stone wet through kid.  Thankfully these days a lot seem to save their frustrations for social media instead of the stadium.

Conner actually more reminds me of a lad called Craig Skinner who was about at a similar to Wilcox although he escaped a lot of stick I think. Looked a bit more comfy on the ball and went on to have a decent 2nd/3rd tier career if i'm correct. That's were we are at and maybe that's the level Mahoney will make in a few years so i'd want to keep him around. People have mentioned comparisons to Treacy but he was trying to break into a Prem side managed by Mark Hughes but again in the end he was a reasonable lower level performer. That's all we should expect of Mahoney in a year or two being realistic.

Just now, tomphil said:

Many similarities to when Wilcox was thrown in through mostly desperation and to just try something else but of course physically he was nowhere near up to it and some got on his back straight away, a 19 year old or whatever 10 stone wet through kid.  Thankfully these days a lot seem to save their frustrations for social media instead of the stadium.

Conner actually more reminds me of a lad called Craig Skinner who was about at a similar to Wilcox although he escaped a lot of stick I think. Looked a bit more comfy on the ball and went on to have a decent 2nd/3rd tier career if i'm correct. That's were we are at and maybe that's the level Mahoney will make in a few years so i'd want to keep him around. People have mentioned comparisons to Treacy but he was trying to break into a Prem side managed by Mark Hughes but again in the end he was a reasonable lower level performer. That's all we should expect of Mahoney in a year or two being realistic.

To be honest at the moment that's all we really need from him is to be a good 2nd/3rd tier player, we are more than likely going to be relegated and next year he will definitely get a lot more starts in L1 which I think he will do well in and then hopefully in a year or 2 if we do manage to pull ourselves back into the championship he'll have gained a place in our first team and some more experience. However if we do fail to make a promotion effort and he does start to really shine in L1 he won't be slow to move on.

Archived