BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Slightly OT John Williams questions

Just now, J*B said:

I think the get out for that, though, is West Brom have an owner with a lot of cash. He can say West Brom are struggling, but are a club looking up not down.

Crystal palace where spending some biggish money too though.I take your point but the West Brom owner hasn't so far showed he has the ambitions to make West Brom into a team capable of challenging for Europe which is what I think would tempt Allardyce back into club management.

Allardyce wants the USA job but they are waiting for their next football association president to be elected before a decision will be made on who gets it

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I would see leaving West Brom for Wolves as a better move. Lai might be OK in some respects but he seems boring. Maybe that's why he appointed Williams. Someone who is used to downplaying expectations though I'm certainly not going to insult Lai by comparing him to the Walker family influenced trust. 

14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Fair point. I'd still be enquiring if I was williams

Rumoured that Everton enquired but the manager and wolves had no interest.Apparently if Wolves get promoted then they are going to be splashing massive money. To a certain extent they already have,signing high profile Portuguese players already.With Mendez being involved once in the premier league I think they will be signing some pretty big names

there chinese owners attended the chelsea game saturday, so I expect williams didnt do the firing. I would also assume he more than likely wont be selecting/ or wont have the final say on selecting a new manager. I would hazard a guess another foreigner to walk through the door maybe.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Exactly. If anything Pulis was holding back what ,is on paper, a far more technical bunch of players than some give them credit for. 

Michael O'Neill would be the way to go. Stock high and a proven result getter with all of his teams punching WELL above their weight. It's early in the season too, I don't see the need to send out the Big Sam signal just yet. Although after saving us when Williams was here, I am sure he is on the radar 

Michael O'Neill is the 'Hughes' appointment imo. I really think that the way they should go, with Big Sam or Dyche as 'safe' options.

He knew Hughes though. It wasn't just like he picked him out at random his 2 years playing at Rovers obviously influenced it. He might still have taken a direct route from Wales to a PL club (as this guy O'Neill might with NI) but can't say that with any certainty. 

• Backroom

If the choice was solely up to Williams it would probably be Allardyce, Dyche or someone of a similar mould. I get the feeling he'll be hiring to instruction though, and that instruction may eliminate such managers from the equation. Koeman would be an interesting one.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I thought you said they would go for McInnes?

no I didnt. 

I said I thought that McInnes would be on the shortlist. 

another possible choice is Alan Pardew as current WBA Sporting director Nick Hammond knows Pardew very well and was at Reading together

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no I didnt. 

I said I thought that McInnes would be on the shortlist. 

another possible choice is Alan Pardew as current WBA Sporting director Nick Hammond knows Pardew very well and was at Reading together

The west brom fans would rightfully riot If they gave the job to Pardew

Last year he turned down the Wolves job and that's the club he supported growing up. Working with Saint John again isn't the "be all and end all".

Not sure what the point of leaving Palace was though my assumption is he must have been unhappy with something.

In his position I would only be interested in the USA job though that's partly for lifestyle reasons too. I'm surprised he didn't go to the Middle East after he was fired by England as he tried to do during another summer of starvation in 2010.

Archived