BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New CEO at Ewood

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

A big question is what is Pasha's role now? Does he go back to selling glucose bars or is he still going to play a leading role in how the club is run? I'd much rather have Waggot than that maggot because at least Waggot will be there to face questions.

I don't know the slightest thing about Waggot as a person or a business man. However his involvement in clubs (Charlton & Coventry) similar to us in terms of poor ownership is something that shouldn't just be overlooked. I wish him the best at Rovers and hope he lasts longer than his predecessors. I suppose much of that will, unfortunately, depend what the biscuit salesman with no official role thinks of him.

I'd have been infinitely happier if they'd totally quashed his influence in this club with this move. 

His previous probably just means he's at the cheaper end of the hiring scale, prepared to be told what to do even if he knows better and can work the cheap end lower league loan market.

Doesn't sound great but that actually fits where we are at and i'd hope guys of his position operating lower down the food chain are a bit more realistic and hands on than the many sycophantic ones at higher levels just interested in the big contract and prestige of sitting at the top table of a big club. A little more humble I suppose i'm trying to say.

Time will tell.

• Backroom

Being cautious over this appointment is not negativity, it's being realistic based on the last seven years. Like pretty much everybody else on here I know nothing about the bloke so I'm not going to predict anything good or bad based on him personally, but you're ignoring a particularly large elephant in the room if you aren't at all concerned about what happens next.

All I can say is good luck to him. He's going to need it. 

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Going off previous I think we can assume it's point three.

Main question is are we seeing a new set of vultures coming through the door or have they finally by the law of averages just hit on something resembling sense ?

Like I said before though I wouldn't be surprised if despite the title he's just on a short term initial contract as a consultant to see us through the window then maybe with a view to staying on depending what happens just like Senior was.

Some would say that's a good way of doing it but you could also say it's penny pinching just hiring an extra hand for the busy period then getting rid again before summer when there's no coin coming in.

The vultures never went away and won't until venkys do 

40 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I don't feel uncomfortable with Waggott. It's how he's been appointed that concerns me, because it shows that nothing has changed in the naivety of Venkys.

If it's true that this was planned since summer, what if we were still outside the play-offs? Would we still be happy that Mowbray has this sort of influence? I'm just not comfortable with that at all, but then my opinion is based on the limited knowledge we have.

I don't get what is naive about the appointment? 

Your second paragraph is what ifs and speculation. We aren't oputside the play-offs and there is no evidence Mowbray had anything to do with it. I personally doubt that they would appoint a CEO on the word of our manager. If Mowbray did put his name forward or suggested it, he still had to prove himself at  whatever type of interview process it was 

14 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

If you fell for the Paul Senior stunt and then you fall for the same stunt / different name again... well... not much else to say.

Chaddy now has a new messiah

Suhail now has a new invisible coat

Mike now has a speaker for the next bi-annual supporters meeting

I am sure Ba will be done by Monday and SW will be off by May... along with TM

:wacko:

Is this a similar prediction to the 3 months straight of “cancelling Elton John”?

I’m sure actual facts aren’t important to you, but Paul Senior was a DOF, and this chap is a CEO. Big difference. 

Cautious about any “Venky decision” is one understandable but a completely different thing to the quoted post, which is just an abject negative fantasy, along the line that suits an agenda!

I also think it’s quite ironic to throw “messiah” insults around, when your name obviously suggests you have a rather freakish obsession with on of the many advisors the Rao’s unfortunately relied upon!

16 minutes ago, Athlete said:

The vultures never went away and won't until venkys do 

What if they never leave? 

18 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Do Venky's have £1 billion to bribe the DUP to keep the Northern Ireland supporters branch open?

I don't accept cheques, and I don't want it diluted over 5 years, but you know where I am if you need me Mr Waggott.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. As ever (during the Venky's regime of terror)

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't get what is naive about the appointment? 

Your second paragraph is what ifs and speculation. We aren't oputside the play-offs and there is no evidence Mowbray had anything to do with it. I personally doubt that they would appoint a CEO on the word of our manager. If Mowbray did put his name forward or suggested it, he still had to prove himself at  whatever type of interview process it was 

I thought it was pretty clear that I was basing my opinion on the strong speculation. If I waited for certain knowledge about happenings behind the scenes, then this would be a very quiet place.

I'm not comfortable with a manager having a say in who should be appointed at executive level, nor any other level above him. It not only seems arse over tit, but it's something that has apparently happened previously under these owners, who still don't know arse from elbow, despite Mowbray's good work as manager. Mowbray is obviously a different type of character to Kean, which is hopefully the saving grace in this situation, but it seems wrong to me, and a case of deja vu. Fans should outlast owners should outlast executives should outlast managers. Isn't that the order of things?

To pander to your insistence of no "negativity", Waggott seems like he could do a good job here, so I think it will work out. Yet my point about how this is done seems totally lost on you (not that I really care!).

Just now, Phil T said:

I thought it was pretty clear that I was basing my opinion on the strong speculation. If I waited for certain knowledge about happenings behind the scenes, then this would be a very quiet place.

I'm not comfortable with a manager having a say in who should be appointed at director level. It not only seems arse over tit, but it's something that has apparently happened previously under these owners, who still don't know arse from elbow, despite Mowbray's good work as manager. Mowbray is obviously a different type of character to Kean, which is hopefully the saving grace in this situation, but it seems wrong to me, and a case of deja vu. Fans should outlast owners should outlast executives should outlast managers. Isn't that the order of things?

To pander to your insistence of no "negativity", Waggott seems like he could do a good job here, so I think it will work out. Yet my point about how this is done seems totally lost on you (not that I really care!).

You don't have any idea about how it was done and are purely speculating. Hence why it is easy to get lost on your "point" 

Although I understand people being worried about the links between Waggot and Mowbray and the view it could make Mowbray unsackable, Mowbray strikes me as a man of integrity, he walked away from the Coventry job and I'd expect him to do the same here if he failed to get us promoted.He already said at the fans meeting that he wouldn't be much of a manager if he couldn't get this group promoted, I doubt he would have said that if he thought he would still be in the hot seat if we didn't go up.

It's a positive move for me.Waggots appointment and Mowbray overhauling our scouting department at least shows we are trying to get our house in order behind the scenes

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't have any idea about how it was done and are purely speculating.

Erm... yes? Didn't I make that clear in the first sentence of my original post? Why are you banging on about it. Should we stop having opinions on speculation?

Speculation is sometimes right, and sometimes wrong. Whoever came up with the Coventry link for the new CEO was right, weren't they? That was speculation, until it became official.

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

Erm... yes? Didn't I make that clear in the first sentence of my original post? Why are you banging on about it. Should we stop having opinions on speculation?

Speculation is sometimes right, and sometimes wrong. Whoever came up with the Coventry link for the new CEO was right, weren't they? That was speculation, until it became official.

Man, stop talking nonsense. You are not making sense. Go and have a lie down. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

A big question is what is Pasha's role now? Does he go back to selling glucose bars or is he still going to play a leading role in how the club is run? I'd much rather have Waggot than that maggot because at least Waggot will be there to face questions.

I don't know the slightest thing about Waggot as a person or a business man. However his involvement in clubs (Charlton & Coventry) similar to us in terms of poor ownership is something that shouldn't just be overlooked. I wish him the best at Rovers and hope he lasts longer than his predecessors. I suppose much of that will, unfortunately, depend what the biscuit salesman with no official role thinks of him.

I'd have been infinitely happier if they'd totally quashed his influence in this club with this move. 

At least it saves Pasha the trouble of having to attend the next consultation meeting in March. This time they can sit Waggott down to talk about his grand plans like Senior did last season, absorb all the attention and probing questions and then its out of the way again for another 6 months, by which time given previous track record one of Mowbray or Waggott will be down the road and replaced.

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At least it saves Pasha the trouble of having to attend the next consultation meeting in March. This time they can sit Waggott down to talk about his grand plans like Senior did last season, absorb all the attention and probing questions and then its out of the way again for another 6 months, by which time given previous track record one of Mowbray or Waggott will be down the road and replaced.

I’d expect TM to go if we aren’t promoted, wouldn’t you? 

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My worry about this JHRover is the fact it is roughly the same time as when we appointed Senior last year. What is it about this time of year that the Venkys are keen to have a man in for? If this has truly been going on since before he took the job at Southend, a bizarre admission to make, then it is even more remarkable we couldn't secure him before now. If it has taken him 3+ months to become an employee of this club then, from the outset, we can probably assume his line of communication with the owners isn't instant and clearly not very efficient.

My huge worry, and I hope will be unfounded, is that January is a time they will look to recoup the fees they spent in the summer and they have appointed him to do that. I don't think anyone can blame any fan for having these thoughts with their history.

On the flip side it could very well be that he has got it on the recommendation of Mowbray. If it wasn't Mowbray, and say a worm like Coyle for example, I'd be extremely worried but for all my criticism of Mowbray tactically I do believe he is a man of integrity. I'd say he has no ambitions to fleece this club like others before him and do believe that if his job became as untenable as Coyle's or Kean's he'd walk.

I despise that I have seriously no idea on how any appointment is going to work out at this club anymore. Ultimately Waggot, Cheston, Myers, Shaw, Agnew, Mowbray, Venus and the Glucose-Man are all utter irrelevances because, quite simply, we are minutes away from disaster with Balaji and the other dope at the helm.

10 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’d expect TM to go if we aren’t promoted, wouldn’t you? 

If we were a conventional club and the worst happened this season then yes I would expect him to either quit or be sacked. But if Venkys like him why would they get rid?

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we were a conventional club and the worst happened this season then yes I would expect him to either quit or be sacked. But if Venkys like him why would they get rid?

I’m quite sure they embraced and “liked” GB, but he went.

I think the point is, this is not necessarily a self fulfilling prophecy, don’t treat it like it is. We both know that the priority should’ve been a proper CEO with responsibility, years ago. Obviously a chance that this could be more paper on the cracks, but on the face of it - our structure has improved.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m quite sure they embraced and “liked” GB, but he went.

I think the point is, this is not necessarily a self fulfilling prophecy, don’t treat it like it is. We both know that the priority should’ve been a proper CEO with responsibility, years ago. Obviously a chance that this could be more paper on the cracks, but on the face of it - our structure has improved.

After 2.5 years and £50 million of losses they sacked him. That's why if they've taken a shine to Mowbray, as appears to be the case since the summer, then I don't think he'll be out the door if our objectives aren't achieved. I think they prefer having someone they like and trust and would put that before results on the pitch or financial performance.

In terms of Waggott I hope it is a positive development but I've seen too much of this in recent years - Hunt, Singh, Shaw, Myers, Senior - its a never ending story and its going to take more than a new face in a new suit talking positive on the website or at the next fans meeting to convince me things have changed for the better. We had all this from Senior last year. Talk of new ideas, big plans, transfer strategy, head coach structure etc. and it ended before it even started. If they want the benefit of the doubt they're going to have to earn it because I've made this mistake before with them. I treat everything they do with suspicion and scepticism because virtually every decision they have made has ended up being poor.

Only time will tell whether it's for the good of the club or not but with the track record from 2010 history says probably not.. If TM recommended him to the owners in the summer which I hope he didn't then that is wrong and puts him in a strong position if we fail to get promoted 

Tbf all this Coventry link is getting a bit worrying as none of the three of them worked out successfully.. Unless you count the sale of the training ground... Mmmm 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

After 2.5 years and £50 million of losses they sacked him. That's why if they've taken a shine to Mowbray, as appears to be the case since the summer, then I don't think he'll be out the door if our objectives aren't achieved. I think they prefer having someone they like and trust and would put that before results on the pitch or financial performance.

In terms of Waggott I hope it is a positive development but I've seen too much of this in recent years - Hunt, Singh, Shaw, Myers, Senior - its a never ending story and its going to take more than a new face in a new suit talking positive on the website or at the next fans meeting to convince me things have changed for the better. We had all this from Senior last year. Talk of new ideas, big plans, transfer strategy, head coach structure etc. and it ended before it even started. If they want the benefit of the doubt they're going to have to earn it because I've made this mistake before with them. I treat everything they do with suspicion and scepticism because virtually every decision they have made has ended up being poor.

2.5 years and 50 million in debt? I think you might find that GB’s decisions, and those made at that time probably saved the club millions and created some actual “value” in the club. I know the Rao’s are stupid, but I doubt they blame GB for that debt.

Im sure they made the decision to bin off GB on the back of “advice” and I think that will be the same in future, it just so happens that they’ve hired (previously experienced) an actual CEO. Someone within the club, who is judged by the result of his actions, I.e. the success of the club! Someone I better trust to advise the owners.

Am I 100% convinced this means a “strong and stable” club from now on? Absolutely not. Let’s not deny that this is an actual step in the correct direction though. Finding a way to diminish the hiring of a new CEO, is simply moving goalposts!

I wouldn't say it is moving the goalposts as it is maintaining a rightful degree of suspicion. There's not a lot we know about Waggot or the manner in which he has been appointed except for the fact that he's previously worked with Mowbray, has supposedly been touted since before he took his last job and has worked for Charlton/Coventry.

The extreme cynic in me says that he clearly isn't very loyal (Southend fans would probably share that sentiment), he's here on the technicality of Mowbray and his previous clubs are less than desirable in terms of how they are run.

That's not to say I believe that but that by simply accepting this is a good decision is as foolish as automatically writing it off as a bad one. As with anything Blackburn Rovers a sensible amount of caution is needed.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Biz said:

Let’s not deny that this is an actual step in the correct direction though. Finding a way to diminish the hiring of a new CEO, is simply moving goalposts!

We have no idea if this is a step in the right direction or not. Time will tell on that one. All we can do is wait and see what transpires over the next few months. 

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

We have no idea if this is a step in the right direction or not. Time will tell on that one. All we can do is wait and see what transpires over the next few months. 

I agree with you under the premise that any decision, response or promise is only judged by impact. The point I am making though is this “action” has been a necessity since JW left. If they’ve actually given him a proper remit, this is a huge boost to our structure at Ewood!

Archived