BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New CEO at Ewood

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tomphil said:

He has form for bringing loans in according to some Coventry fans so that was probably appealing plus he was a 'consultant; at Southend.

Despite the title I think this is just Senior mark 2 to see us through the transfer window and keep a little heat off Mowbray, Cheston and the shadow. Be amazed if he's still here come July.

I won't care either if we go up !  If we don't he's another ready made scapegoat, not that i'm saying it's intentional.

Williams lasted about 6 months and knew he was going much sooner than that. Same for Finn and Goodman.

Paul Hunt lasted a grand total of 1 year before being sacked. Shebby Singh 1 year. Agnew 1 year. Derek Shaw 3 years albeit virtually part time by many accounts. Alan Myers 2 years.

Paul Senior managed 5 months.

I wish this guy all the best and genuinely hope that this is the start of a new era of behaving like a professional club should with a proper executive structure but going off experience he's going to have his work cut out to even be here next season, let alone achieve anything meaningful in his time with the Venky circus. Few of his predecessors have managed more than a year.

Our best hope is that Mowbray has managed to talk some sense into them where others have failed and they've agreed to act on his advice, but even then it raises concerns about the manager's power and influence if he is essentially identifying new board members.

3 hours ago, meadows said:

?

Fair cop guv.

I've not been paying any attention to the rumours. Was he one of the names that was actually being mooted? I thought the original name in the frame was another ex Coventry guy with an academic background.

Must admit that I'm not too enamoured with us bringing in a CEO who has obviously been recommended by Mowbray. Hope he has considerably more success in bringing people in this January than Senior. We didn't seem to have any problems bringing in some decent players in summer without a CEO.

This brings with it a lot of questions.  

Why the first CEO now?  Why not deputy like Paul Hunt or Director of something?

Do the Coventry links start with Tony then he gets Venus then he recommends Waggott?  That seems ridiculous even for Venkys, though quite possible.

Or is it that there's someone recommending all these Coventry people, first they recommend Mowbray and now Wagott?  

On the face of it it would seem to be a good thing but like everything these days we have to wait a while before we have any idea.

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

Do the Coventry links start with Tony then he gets Venus then he recommends Waggott?  That seems ridiculous even for Venkys, though quite possible.

Or is it that there's someone recommending all these Coventry people, first they recommend Mowbray and now Wagott?  

On the face of it it would seem to be a good thing but like everything these days we have to wait a while before we have any idea.

To think ? the Coventry thing is a good thing is crazy when comparing the two clubs 

On the face of it, to be appointing a CEO and someone to run the club and leave Mike Cheston with less to do, and it would be logical to think they are improving club structure and therefore it is a good thing.

However, of all the clubs to be taking people from you'd think Coventry would be one of the least appealing, so strange.

2 hours ago, meadows said:

I didn’t have a name but we knew one or more of the candidates was Coventry connected and deduced it could be someone named Anderson or Robinson I forget. There was also a bloke who had been at Heart of Midlothian interviewed. 

I think I spoke with Parson in the Blackburn End reception shortly before the Bristol Rovers game  and told him a new CEO was coming in and was said to be Coventry connected. 

You did indeed say your contact had confirmed a Coventry connection and so it's proved.  You've certainly got some good contacts out there!

7 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Going off previous I think we can assume it's point three.

Main question is are we seeing a new set of vultures coming through the door or have they finally by the law of averages just hit on something resembling sense ?

Like I said before though I wouldn't be surprised if despite the title he's just on a short term initial contract as a consultant to see us through the window then maybe with a view to staying on depending what happens just like Senior was.

Some would say that's a good way of doing it but you could also say it's penny pinching just hiring an extra hand for the busy period then getting rid again before summer when there's no coin coming in.

Interesting that he's been quoted on the Southend end of the chain saying that he's been in talks with Rovers for several months through October, November and December and that he was in discussions with Rovers about the job prior to taking the job at Southend and now has quit that to come here. 3 months of talks before getting the job is some going, especially when the last one, Paul Senior, only lasted 4-5 months before departing.

Putting 2 and 2 together I'd say that this was one of Mowbray's requests right back in the summer when he went to India - he wanted money for players and got it , he wanted Venus in as assistant and got it, and I reckon he made it very clear he wanted someone at board level to work with, and having worked with Waggott very recently at Coventry put him forward as a suggestion. In true Venky fashion it has somehow taken months and months to finally get him in. Better late than never I suppose and in theory they've had plenty of time to do their homework on this guy yet its hard to see it ending up any differently to all the others. Once he's in place and discovers the reality of working for these people it won't last.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/december/steve-waggott-moves-on/

It would be nice to think they've done 3 months groundwork on this whilst maybe taking time to see how TM shaped up this first half of the season as well.

That's giving them a monumental amount of credit they've never earned though so I'll stick to my original thoughts B)

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It would be nice to think they've done 3 months groundwork on this whilst maybe taking time to see how TM shaped up this first half of the season as well.

That's giving them a monumental amount of credit they've never earned though so I'll stick to my original thoughts B)

It's interesting how he admits to being interviewed before starting and during his role with Southend. if one of my employees did that, I would be pissed

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's interesting how he admits to being interviewed before starting and during his role with Southend. if one of my employees did that, I would be pissed

Quote: The timing of this changing of club is unfortunate as my intention had been to come in to Southend initially as a consultant with a planned review with the Chairman at the end of the season. However, the opportunity to join Blackburn Rovers as CEO is a position that I could not refuse” Steve said. (Well i guess that makes sense, we should still be a big pull)

“The discussions with Blackburn began just before I joined Southend and progressed through October and November before the decision was made to appoint me. A great opportunity that I felt I could not pass up at this time in my career. (I guess balji woke up and remembered he had something to do ha ha)

Completely open minded.

Does look like a Mowbray mob which means there is a counter-balancing force at Ewood now. Hitherto it has been a bunch of isolated individuals able to be ignored or picked off at will.

Will be interested to get feedback when the various fans groups and the Trust have met him.

I know this is all speculation about how Waggott has been recommended and appointed, but if it's true, then I'm really concerned.

When Kean was here, it appeared that he had a power within the club that no manager should ever have; influence over who sits above you. That's some way to protect yourself from failure and other misgivings, isn't it?

Mowbray has been largely good for Rovers since walking through the door, but it feels like the same setup; Venkys putting their trust in one or two people at a level that should be nowhere near executive appointments. If Venkys go down this path again, they are at serious risk of being exploited again. It would only be a matter of time before a rat will exploit that situation.

I can't judge how Waggott, Mowbray, and perhaps Venus, will work out at the club until things settle down after a year or so, but after seven depressing years, it looks like Venky's still haven't worked out how to get proper advice at the highest level to run the club properly. Will they ever?

8 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I know this is all speculation about how Waggott has been recommended and appointed, but if it's true, then I'm really concerned.

When Kean was here, it appeared that he had a power within the club that no manager should ever have; influence over who sits above you. That's some way to protect yourself from failure and other misgivings, isn't it?

Mowbray has been largely good for Rovers since walking through the door, but it feels like the same setup; Venkys putting their trust in one or two people at a level that should be nowhere near executive appointments. If Venkys go down this path again, they are at serious risk of being exploited again. It would only be a matter of time before a rat will exploit that situation.

I can't judge how Waggott, Mowbray, and perhaps Venus, will work out at the club until things settle down after a year or so, but after seven depressing years, it looks like Venky's still haven't worked out how to get proper advice at the highest level to run the club properly. Will they ever?

Such negativity. We have made what looks like a good appointment and this is your reaction? Waggotts CV makes him a good appointment, not sure where you are getting that he "should be nowhere near an executive appointment" 

As for your last few sentences, would this appointment not suggest the exact opposite of what you say? I am not saying they have suddenly become model owners, but things are looking up. 

If (and it's a big if) they have appointed this fella and given him the power to handle the day to day running of the club and make the immediate decisions without having to go to India and back, then it can only be good.

IF they let him hire and fire staff and sign off transfers, etc, after they've given the club the overall budget, then we might start to resemble a normal football club again. But, if he's just a token appointment recommended by the Summer visit of accountants and yet another layer of bullshit between a decision needing making in Blackburn, that has to go through him, then Pasha, then our illustrious owners in India, then the result passed back down that line back to Blackburn, then it's a total waste of everybody's time and more money.

We can only hope it's the former.

A big question is what is Pasha's role now? Does he go back to selling glucose bars or is he still going to play a leading role in how the club is run? I'd much rather have Waggot than that maggot because at least Waggot will be there to face questions.

I don't know the slightest thing about Waggot as a person or a business man. However his involvement in clubs (Charlton & Coventry) similar to us in terms of poor ownership is something that shouldn't just be overlooked. I wish him the best at Rovers and hope he lasts longer than his predecessors. I suppose much of that will, unfortunately, depend what the biscuit salesman with no official role thinks of him.

I'd have been infinitely happier if they'd totally quashed his influence in this club with this move. 

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Such negativity. We have made what looks like a good appointment and this is your reaction? Waggotts CV makes him a good appointment, not sure where you are getting that he "should be nowhere near an executive appointment" 

As for your last few sentences, would this appointment not suggest the exact opposite of what you say? I am not saying they have suddenly become model owners, but things are looking up. 

I don't feel uncomfortable with Waggott. It's how he's been appointed that concerns me, because it shows that nothing has changed in the naivety of Venkys.

If it's true that this was planned since summer, what if we were still outside the play-offs? Would we still be happy that Mowbray has this sort of influence? I'm just not comfortable with that at all, but then my opinion is based on the limited knowledge we have.

Archived