BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Half Way Stage 2017/18

JimEdd

So we are to forget two of their results? I admire the effort you put into the reply but you cannot just ignore their two biggest win margins in order to make your point. They happened and they have also had more wins by a three goal margin than us.  

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

An argument about winning margins - really ?  I'd be happy with 1-0 victories to the end of the season if that's what it takes to get us promoted. 

Exactly and often winning by a couple of goals would be even better. 

23 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So we are to forget two of their results? I admire the effort you put into the reply but you cannot just ignore their two biggest win margins in order to make your point. They happened and they have also had more wins by a three goal margin than us.  

Yes I think in your term of “bashing” the opposition we can. There are countless examples of teams winning by large margins, it doesn’t mean those sides are regularly bashing the opposition.

Goal difference aside winning by any margin is all that matters. 

• Backroom

Halfway and for me we are just falling short, 3rd at the end of the season would still leave us with a large chance of failure.

We are more of a concern to me than Shrewsbury as I think they will falter but I have doubts as to whether we can do our part especially when the pressure is on 

5 points difference with 23 matches to go. That is not an unbridgeable gap seeing as we closed 10 points on Shrewsbury in 12 matches..

By the way, all this we don't score goals; this is league goals (and goals in league, league cup and FA Cup) with the league leading scorers below (number of penalties converted in brackets): 

Last Goal: vs. Rochdale (H, Dec 26, 2017)
Braces: 1, Hat-tricks: 0
10 (10)
Charlie Mulgrew
Last Goal: vs. Rochdale (H, Dec 26, 2017)
Braces: 2, Hat-tricks: 0
9 (9)

Last Goal: vs. Blackpool (A, Nov 28, 2017)
Braces: 1, Hat-tricks: 0
7 (8)

Last Goal: vs. Bristol Rovers (H, Nov 25, 2017)
Braces: 0, Hat-tricks: 0
5 (8)
Danny Graham of Sunderland in action during a pre season friendly between Darlington and Sunderland at Heritage Park on July 9, 2015 in Bishop Auckland, England.
Last Goal: vs. Charlton Athletic (H, Dec 16, 2017)
3 (6)

Last Goal: vs. Oxford United (A, Nov 21, 2017)
2 (5)

1. Jack Marriott England England Peterborough United Peterborough United 17 (0)
2. Eoin Doyle Ireland Ireland Oldham Athletic Oldham Athletic 13 (0)
  Kieffer Moore England England Rotherham United Rotherham United 13 (0)
  Brett Pitman England England Portsmouth FC Portsmouth FC 13 (3)
5. Bradley Dack England England Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers 10 (0)
  Erhun Öztumer England England Walsall FC Walsall FC 10 (0)
  Nick Powell England England Wigan Athletic Wigan Athletic 10 (2)
  Charlie Wyke England England Bradford City Bradford City 10 (1)
9. Devante Cole England England Fleetwood Town Fleetwood Town 9 (0)
  Charlie Mulgrew Scotland Scotland Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers 9 (3)

• Backroom

Problem is when we score 3 or 4 we tend to concede a couple so it doesn't help our GD out as much as it should.

As far as results are concerned we could win 1-0 all season and it wouldn't bother me. I'm just not sure our performances point to a sustained charge in the same way Wigan's do. Now granted I haven't watched too much of Wigan this season, but their match stats compared to ours make for interesting and sometimes sobering reading. They genuinely dominate a lot of their matches, whereas we rarely do. That really needs to change before anybody gets too comfortable and talks about winning the league. 

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:10, JimEdd said:

Apologies if there's anything wrong with this post, or if I've incorrectly opened a new topic as it's my first post.  We are exactly half way through the Season and I, like a lot of other messagers, have been complaining that we started the Season poorly, haven't played a particularly attractive style of play and maybe we should have a lot more points than we actually have.  BUT, when you look at the history of League 1 over the last 10 years, the data below shows that if we do as well in the second half of the season as we did in the first half of the season, we are virtually sure of promotion.

Teams finishing 1st and 2nd in League 1 over the last 10 years:

2017    1) Sheffield United 100 points; 2) Bolton Wanderers 86 points

2016    1) Wigan 87 points; 2) Burton Albion 85 points

2015   1) Bristol City 00 points; 2) MK Dons 91 points

2014   1) Wolves 103 points; 2) Brentford 94 points

2013  1) Doncaster Rovers 84 points' 2) Bournemouth 83 points

2012   1) Charlton Athletic 101 points' 2) Sheffield Wednesday 93 points

2011   1) Brighton and Hove Albion 95 points; 2) Southampton 92 points

2010   1) Norwich City 95 points' 2) Leeds United 86 points

2009   1) Leicester City 96 points; Peterborough 89 points

2008   1) Swansea City 92 points; Notts Forrest 82 point

Here's me thinking we'd had a poor first half of the Season with only 47 points at the halfway stage when, in recent history, no Team who has scored 94 points has failed to get automatic promotion.  So all we need to do is to get another 47 points from the second half of the season to get to the magic number of 94 points and seal promotion.

I really think this is achievable in the second half of the season,  COYB

Hadn't realised Bolton only got 86 pts to finish 2nd, they had 46 pts at this stage, 1 less than us.

As the post from the original poster shows it's very rare that 2 points per game fails to secure automatic promotion over the course of a season. On that basis I'm absolutely delighted with the haul in the first half of the season (which put us one point ahead of "par") if rather less so with the quality of our performances. However that matters not a jot if we can replicate the bare results in the secind half of the season.

The worry must be whether we can actually achieve similar results in the second half of the season playing so poorly. Also, in any promotion campaign you only really find out about the mettle of your manager and players when tbe pressure is really on coming into the last ten games. I do worry slightly about TM losing his nerve and reverting back to being too cautious and negative when it comes down to the wire.

Imo overall though, a very satisfactory first half of tbe season whilst at the same time leaving massive room for improvement in the standard of the actual performances.

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

An argument about winning margins - really ?  I'd be happy with 1-0 victories to the end of the season if that's what it takes to get us promoted. 

And seeing that we ve scored in 20 ! out of 23  games we are at the very least putting ourselves in a position to actual win games. We re in decent nick for the half way point.

On 27/12/2017 at 23:10, JimEdd said:

Apologies if there's anything wrong with this post, or if I've incorrectly opened a new topic as it's my first post.  We are exactly half way through the Season and I, like a lot of other messagers, have been complaining that we started the Season poorly, haven't played a particularly attractive style of play and maybe we should have a lot more points than we actually have.  BUT, when you look at the history of League 1 over the last 10 years, the data below shows that if we do as well in the second half of the season as we did in the first half of the season, we are virtually sure of promotion.

Teams finishing 1st and 2nd in League 1 over the last 10 years:

2017    1) Sheffield United 100 points; 2) Bolton Wanderers 86 points

2016    1) Wigan 87 points; 2) Burton Albion 85 points

2015   1) Bristol City 00 points; 2) MK Dons 91 points

2014   1) Wolves 103 points; 2) Brentford 94 points

2013  1) Doncaster Rovers 84 points' 2) Bournemouth 83 points

2012   1) Charlton Athletic 101 points' 2) Sheffield Wednesday 93 points

2011   1) Brighton and Hove Albion 95 points; 2) Southampton 92 points

2010   1) Norwich City 95 points' 2) Leeds United 86 points

2009   1) Leicester City 96 points; Peterborough 89 points

2008   1) Swansea City 92 points; Notts Forrest 82 point

Here's me thinking we'd had a poor first half of the Season with only 47 points at the halfway stage when, in recent history, no Team who has scored 94 points has failed to get automatic promotion.  So all we need to do is to get another 47 points from the second half of the season to get to the magic number of 94 points and seal promotion.

I really think this is achievable in the second half of the season,  COYB

Repeat the first half of the season and we are on course for 94 points and a goal difference of +44 which 

Would deliver the title in three of the last ten seasons

And gain automatic promotion ten seasons out of ten.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL! 

By the way, five of those twenty clubs are currently in the Premier League of which Leicester have won the title.

Another four are challenging strongly for promotion to the Premier League this year.

HOWEVER,

Five are playing us this season but at least zero are below League 1. 

8 hours ago, philipl said:

By the way, five of those twenty clubs are currently in the Premier League of which Leicester have won the title.

Another four are challenging strongly for promotion to the Premier League this year.

HOWEVER,

Five are playing us this season but at least zero are below League 1. 

And none of them are owned by Venkys............

Archived