BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walsall v Rovers

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

We have struggled against lesser teams but I think it's just we concede avoidable goals which means that anyone can score against us. 

We do start complacent as though we expect to score rather than force it to happen and it takes an opposition goal to jolt us in to life. I suppose that is a mental issue.

However if we have to hang on with our backs to the wall in a game, or force the issue late on in a game, I haven't seen that as being a problem. I think there are more leaders in there now than previously and they seem to be playing with a positive team-spirit, which can actually carry you through games.

Complacent, you are correct.  Is complacency not a mental attitude?  I agree the goals we concede are soft, another mental aspect of the game, focus, concentration iis it?,  It's not like we are playing that well most of the time when we concede them soft goals is it?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hasta said:

We have struggled against lesser teams but I think it's just we concede avoidable goals which means that anyone can score against us. 

We do start complacent as though we expect to score rather than force it to happen and it takes an opposition goal to jolt us in to life. I suppose that is a mental issue.

However if we have to hang on with our backs to the wall in a game, or force the issue late on in a game, I haven't seen that as being a problem. I think there are more leaders in there now than previously and they seem to be playing with a positive team-spirit, which can actually carry you through games.

Agree with the team spirit it seems fantastic right now, a bonding with the fans too.  Credit to Mowbary for this I think.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

In the second half of the season under Souness, we didn't grind many wins out. We were quite comfortable in a lot of games IIRC

That is what I meant we were professional enough (carried the right mindset) going into games to do that.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, ive never said that Bennett doesnt contribute at all. He does work hard and he does graft (unlike Samuel) but ive acknowledged that and its irrelevant to my point.

Last season he only played half a season but he scored 4 goals, all really good, similar technique and we know he can get into shooting positions. I and many others earmarked Bennett in the summer as someone who could chip in with plenty of goals and assists considering the massive drop in opposition quality. 

Your point about not lacking goals elsewhere is stupid, you can never have enough goals and others stepping up doesnt excuse that.

I want a simple yes or no. Ive acknowledged there are other ways that he contributes, its a stand alone point. If you had said with 12 games to go, hes played most games on the wing, would you have been content/happy (or would he have been happy) with no goals at all and a couple of assists? 

I know Bennett isn't he happy about his goals return this season. I very happy with his contribute this season for the reasons I have stated this morning. 

we have enough goals in this team and the point isn't stupid it is you don't agree with it. That's the point. Plus Bennett isn't taking many shots per game like last season and that's probably the reason why he hasn't scored this season. 

I always thought bennet was a strange player. Worked hard, decent touch, looked a good footballer, but every week the game ends and you struggle to think of anything to significant he did. Just a poster boy for 6 out of 10 every week.

However the switch to centre mid has been the making of him. He has been pretty impressive since that switch. His workrate and agression have been huge for us. His desire to try and win the ball back rather than just play it safe and mark his space and shadow his man has been quite refreshing.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000–01_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

A few draws and wins by the odd goal there. Only finished 4 points ahead of Bolton 

I remember it well.  But towards the end of the season we won a lot more games by more than 1 goal. 

Apart from Preston, I don't recall us grinding any of those wins out.

Just now, Hasta said:

I remember it well.  But towards the end of the season we won a lot more games by more than 1 goal. 

Apart from Preston, I don't recall us grinding any of those wins out.

Might not have felt like it to you, but they were close games going off the results 

A few by more than 1 alright though,could do with a few of them over the next few months ,for me nerves 

2 hours ago, USABlue said:

Complacent, you are correct.  Is complacency not a mental attitude?  I agree the goals we concede are soft, another mental aspect of the game, focus, concentration iis it?,  It's not like we are playing that well most of the time when we concede them soft goals is it?

It is mental attitude but I don't think it is the same as what you implied which was:-

"I'll mention it again, mentally weak.  We are not winners in our heads.  It will be our undoing in the run in.  Shrewsbury seem to have it.  All is rosy when we are in top it seems like we lose it when we are under threat, we need to be able to dig in."

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Might not have felt like it to you, but they were close games going off the results 

A few by more than 1 alright though,could do with a few of them over the next few months ,for me nerves 

Apart from Preston away, which games in the back end of the season did we "grind out" as you state.

We dominated the West Brom game and the game against a 9-man Watford.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know Bennett isn't he happy about his goals return this season. I very happy with his contribute this season for the reasons I have stated this morning. 

we have enough goals in this team and the point isn't stupid it is you don't agree with it. That's the point. Plus Bennett isn't taking many shots per game like last season and that's probably the reason why he hasn't scored this season. 

You can never have enough goals. Considering his ability shown last season, whatever the reason is it is disappointing that he has been unable to contribute in terms of goals or many assists. I expected him to do so in a lower league, though I am not saying he hasnt contributed, nor am I inferring you that you said that.

34 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Apart from Preston away, which games in the back end of the season did we "grind out" as you state.

We dominated the West Brom game and the game against a 9-man Watford.

The results show we won a good number by 1 goal only and drew others. You feel like we didn't grind them out. That's fair enough. I don't particularly care enough to keep debating this with you. 

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The results show we won a good number by 1 goal only and drew others. You feel like we didn't grind them out. That's fair enough. I don't particularly care enough to keep debating this with you. 

It's not like you to drop an argument. I'm presuming now you've looked at it you realise your comparison was a bit silly so "let's stop debating it."

57 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Reading through that wiki page on the 2000/01 season took me back, what a team that was!

No wonder we went on to win a cup and then finish top 6 in the PL with the core of it.

From the game at the Turf onwards that was a great season watching a superb team who were beginning to peak. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:54, Hasta said:

Well, I bet Wednesday never sung this..

"By the light of an Indian moon,

A hit man, he landed in Pune

In a  black polo neck, just like the man in Milk Tray..

He said "This is  for Jack!"

Then the sound of a crack..

We're Blackburn Rovers

We're on our way back.."

23 minutes ago, Hasta said:

It's not like you to drop an argument. I'm presuming now you've looked at it you realise your comparison was a bit silly so "let's stop debating it."

No,I just don't have any interest in your opinion. Saying we grinded  out promotion under souness is hardly silly. I would imagine the manager himself and most players will say it was a grind. We came second,ahead of bolton by 4 points. Hardly a walk in park,contrary to your rose tinted retrospection.  

You are obviously still butt hurt after I called you out on your ludicrous slating of players even though you have little or no football knowledge. At least you admitted you don't I suppose,so I will give you some credit for that. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

We're Blackburn Rovers

We're on our way back.."

Now you are singing my tune Leonard.

You should be the lyricist for the Blackburn End.

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are obviously still butt hurt after I called you out on your ludicrous slating of players even though you have little or no football knowledge. At least you admitted you don't I suppose,so I will give you some credit for that. 

Stop embarrassing yourself. I didn't ludicrously slate any players at all. Please show where I did.

That must be how your rose tinted retrospection of that debate went. 

22 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

We're Blackburn Rovers

We're on our way back.."

I bet they didn't.

I started singing to the tune of 'By the light of a silvery moon', I guess I got it wrong?

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

It is mental attitude but I don't think it is the same as what you implied which was:-

"I'll mention it again, mentally weak.  We are not winners in our heads.  It will be our undoing in the run in.  Shrewsbury seem to have it.  All is rosy when we are in top it seems like we lose it when we are under threat, we need to be able to dig in."

You have.me.there, I was a bit more specific rhan I should have.been but you are right based on my point for sure.  I did sort of move the goal posts as we went.

Just now, USABlue said:

You have.me.there, I was a bit more specific rhan I should have.been but you are right based on my point for sure.  I did sort of move the goal posts as we went.

No worries. As we stated, they can start very lackadaisically and need something to gee them up which is a mental issue. Just don't think it's fair to say they cave in under pressure (yet :wacko:). 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You can never have enough goals. Considering his ability shown last season, whatever the reason is it is disappointing that he has been unable to contribute in terms of goals or many assists. I expected him to do so in a lower league, though I am not saying he hasnt contributed, nor am I inferring you that you said that.

Bennett rarely shoot tho these days but contributed in the ways Ive said previously to you. When we got the forwards in the team like Dack, Graham, Samuel, Nuttall, Armstrong, Antonsson plus Mulgrew. 95% of goals will come from them. Smallwood chip in with a couple and Williams with 1. 

I aint worried or having Nightmares cos Bennett hasnt this season..

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bennett rarely shoot tho these days but contributed in the ways Ive said previously to you. When we got the forwards in the team like Dack, Graham, Samuel, Nuttall, Armstrong, Antonsson plus Mulgrew. 95% of goals will come from them. Smallwood chip in with a couple and Williams with 1. 

I aint worried or having Nightmares cos Bennett hasnt this season..

Again, ive never said hes not contributing, you are purposely discarding my point which is that I am disappointing that with the shooting ability he showed last season, and the massive drop in opposition, that hes not contributing IN AN ATTACKING SENSE. With goals and regular assists. As primarily a winger.

You can never have enough goals. 

Archived