BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wonder if Ivan Toney or Devante Cole would be considered as the backup striker option, think both are available, id take Toney if the price was right.

A Fleetwood supporter I work with isn't remotely flattering about Cole, so I hope not.

Those who said their Liverpool supporting friends speak well of Kent, have those friends watched him regularly on loan? Do they watch the youth team? Genuine question.

• Like 2

Just a hunch but I can't see us signing this Maddison lad. Seems we're trying to spread what few millions we have around on decent quality players but clubs are asking a premium... E.G. Bauer. 

Edited by Neal

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

A Fleetwood supporter I work with isn't remotely flattering about Cole, so I hope not.

Those who said their Liverpool supporting friends speak well of Kent, have those friends watched him regularly on loan? Do they watch the youth team? Genuine question.

Ya, they have lfc TV and watch the under age games. Not sure if they watched him on loan. They have seen more of him than any of us though, thats for sure 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am fully aware of Mowbray's comments about signings and recruitment. I agree we dont want loads of loan players like we had under Coyle. I think 2 loans out 6 signings is fine and nothing to worry about..

Mowbray has a budget and I'm looking he is looking to spend most of it on a striker like Armstrong as a potential target. Im sure they will be others aswell. Plus possibly Chapman permanently if terms are right for us or cheap backup centre back if Wharton leaves on loan. 

Then sign 2 loan players. Kent and Gallagher being those 2. 

So our summer transfer business would be. 

Permanent signings - Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong(my choice), Chapman or cheap centre back. 

Loan signings - Kent and Gallagher

For me thats would be good transfer window

Er what is the budget.. At the moment it looks like its under last seasons... 

Kent seems to fit the bill. Quick tricky winger that can deliver a cross. Also seems to be able to play both right and left. 

The question mark is last season with two failed loans at Freiburg and Bristol City. The good thing is Mowbray know everything about him from having him on loan at Coventry, and can get his confidence back up again. It worked wonders with Armstrong last season. Fun fact is that Kent and Armstrong has spent two seasons together on loan at both Coventry and Barnsley. He also had James Maddision at Coventry at the same time so that must've been some exciting line up.

I think Rovers will have a hard time getting a deal done for Armstrong based on the fee and wages. Newcastle needs to raise cash for transfers so I don't think they will do us any favours. A chance for a late loan might be our best option.

• Like 1

Interview with Ryan Kent from earlier this month:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/306047-ryan-kent-liverpool-fc-pre-season-interview

“I think in football terms last season wasn’t the best season for me, it was quite disappointing,” he told Liverpoolfc.com at Melwood.

“In terms of game time I think I only started eight games last season, but I think it was a learning experience to be able to go to probably the second-best league in Europe in the Bundesliga, and making my debut against Bayern Munich. 

“Then to be involved in a play-offs chance with Bristol City was a good opportunity as well, so I took many things away from last season and hopefully I can build on that again.

So is this a case of Mowbray nurturing a talent who has gone somewhat astray as he did with Dack and hopefully Rothwell? (Failed to do with Gladwin?) We'll see. I'm firmly in the 'meh' zone with this. If he does sign up I'd be thriled to see him do well, obviously, but it's hard to get overly excited about him, really.

I reckon Armstrong and Chapman would probably be around 3 millions pounds together if you can agree wages. Very few clubs in the Championship buys players over a million pounds these days except PL parachute clubs and even a club like Villa is in dire straits financial now.

Just now, briansol said:

I reckon Armstrong and Chapman would probably be around 3 millions pounds together if you can agree wages. Very few clubs in the Championship buys players over a million pounds these days except PL parachute clubs and even a club like Villa is in dire straits financial now.

Quite a few teams in the champ are spending more than a million on players, Nottingham forest have spent a small fortune,Brentford paid 5 mill for a centre half from Charlton,Leeds apparently have a 10 mill bid in for Vydra at Derby and there are more.Last season there was quite a few big money buys. A million doesn't buy you much these days,you only have to take out pursuit of Bauer as an example 12 months left on his contract yet Charlton have put a 2 million price tag on his head 

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

In todays market we would be doing very well to get the 2 of them for 3 million. I can't see us spending more, so fingers crossed. 

11 minutes ago, briansol said:

I reckon that us, Bolton, Rotherham, Burton and possibly Preston are the only clubs that haven't broken the £1 million mark in the Championship over the last 3-4 years. Ipswich were another although Gwion Edwards will have been knocking £1 million I reckon.

Considering where Burton and Rotherham have come from and the financial Armageddon at Bolton over the last few years where they've flirted with administration we're in a small pool.

Also the elephant in the room is that none of those clubs have coined in £20 million+ in sales at the same time.

I'd take Villa's squad and 'dire straits' right now. They've just rejected a £5 million bid from Stoke for James Chester, have a strong squad and Bruce is still there.

• Like 1

I am fully aware of Mowbray's comments about signings and recruitment. I agree we dont want loads of loan players like we had under Coyle. I think 2 loans out 6 signings is fine and nothing to worry about..

Mowbray has a budget and I'm looking he is looking to spend most of it on a striker like Armstrong as a potential target. Im sure they will be others aswell. Plus possibly Chapman permanently if terms are right for us or cheap backup centre back if Wharton leaves on loan. 

Then sign 2 loan players. Kent and Gallagher being those 2. 

So our summer transfer business would be. 

Permanent signings - Rothwell, Davenport, Armstrong(my choice), Chapman or cheap centre back. 

Loan signings - Kent and Gallagher

For me thats would be good transfer window

Why Chapman or a cheap centre back? 2 totally different positions. 

Look at the above comment.

Kent was Barnsley young player of the season so cant have been that poor could he?

Why Maddison? Dont see Mowbray spending 2.5 million pounds on him when we need a striker in. I rather sign Kent on loan then sign 2 strikers in Gallagher on loan and Armstrong permanently. 

Isnt that more that you dont think that we have that much to spend full stop? Its not much in the scheme of things but could make the difference between being in the thick of a relegation battle and looking upwards.

Just now, JHRover said:

I reckon that us, Bolton, Rotherham, Burton and possibly Preston are the only clubs that haven't broken the £1 million mark in the Championship over the last 3-4 years. Ipswich were another although Gwion Edwards will have been knocking £1 million I reckon.

Considering where Burton and Rotherham have come from and the financial Armageddon at Bolton over the last few years where they've flirted with administration we're in a small pool.

Also the elephant in the room is that none of those clubs have coined in £20 million+ in sales at the same time.

I'd take Villa's squad and 'dire straits' right now. They've just rejected a £5 million bid from Stoke for James Chester, have a strong squad and Bruce is still there.

Villa are in a huge mess. The reason they rejected 5 million for Chester is because its a pathetic offer. Brentford signed a 20 year old centre half from Charlton for 5 million. Villa signed Chester for 10 million 2 seasons ago and he is a full international. Villa are desperate for cash and clubs are circling looking for a bargain, see Spurs and Leicester offering around 15 million for Grealish. They will end up selling those players under the odds one way or another. They are in financial chaos behind the scenes, there has been numerous sackings of high profile people behind the scenes.  We have come through the shit storm that they are only going into now. They have a good manager in Bruce, but things are going to get a lot worse there, before they get better. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Villa are in a huge mess. The reason they rejected 5 million for Chester is because its a pathetic offer. Brentford signed a 20 year old centre half from Charlton for 5 million. Villa signed Chester for 10 million 2 seasons ago and he is a full international. Villa are desperate for cash and clubs are circling looking for a bargain, see Spurs and Leicester offering around 15 million for Grealish. They will end up selling those players under the odds one way or another. They are in financial chaos behind the scenes, there has been numerous sackings of high profile people behind the scenes.  We have come through the shit storm that they are only going into now. They have a good manager in Bruce, but things are going to get a lot worse there, before they get better. 

Lets wait and see. So far they've only lost a couple of players, Steve Bruce is hanging around which usually suggests he's confident of promotion.

I wish we'd have rejected pathetic offers of £5 million when flogging our best players.

If the season kicked off on Saturday I'd be backing Villa for the top 6. Us on the other hand not so, despite 'coming through' what they're only going into.

If they lose all their best players, enter a 2 year transfer embargo and get relegated to League One then I'll eat my hat.

• Like 1

Isn't one of Villa's problems that Tony Xia was unable to release cash from China due to some legal implication? No doubting that they are under the cosh as far as FFP goes but you'd expect a club the size of Villa to correct themselves. Although I'm sure everyone said that about Leeds years ago!

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Lets wait and see. So far they've only lost a couple of players, Steve Bruce is hanging around which usually suggests he's confident of promotion.

I wish we'd have rejected pathetic offers of £5 million when flogging our best players.

If the season kicked off on Saturday I'd be backing Villa for the top 6. Us on the other hand not so, despite 'coming through' what they're only going into.

If they lose all their best players, enter a 2 year transfer embargo and get relegated to League One then I'll eat my hat.

I wouldn't back Villa for top 6. Too much chaos behind the scenes. They have done well to hang onto Bruce, but I wouldn't bet on him lasting the season. 

Ignoring the problems, we have gotten good deals for players we sold with the exception of Cairney and King and you could argue that was more on Bowyer ,as he didn't play them enough in their correct positions. 

Will we finish higher than them? Not the way things stand currently, but ,as you say, lets wait and see in 3 weeks time 

• Backroom
Just now, roversinmyblood said:

Do you think that means a deal between the clubs is agreed and it is now down to Maddison agreeing his pay?

That's how I read it. Could be that TM sees this purchase as important while Armstrong and Chapman can be loans.

Missing out on Maddison may allow us then to buy those 2 outright.

Just now, Mike E said:

That's how I read it. Could be that TM sees this purchase as important while Armstrong and Chapman can be loans.

Missing out on Maddison may allow us then to buy those 2 outright.

Probably. But I would rather have Maddison. I think that he could create lots of chances for our team. Marriott benefited big time.