BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Bloomin' right. Mowbray;s statement that he wanted to "give the players who won promotion their chance" is hogwash.  A good manager would identify where the team needs to strengthen and act quickly. His failure to do so has led to us wallowing in mid table and led to the added risk that our best player could leave sooner rather than later because we're not competitive in this division.  

Yep. My problem with this season is not the fact that we look likely to survive but that unless there's some very good business done in January the squad won't really have improved at all, we'll be no better off in the summer than we were 12 months previously on being promoted and in fact be considerably worse off if Dack leaves.

None of our successful managers in the past at lower levels needed years to build, the likes of Furphy (after a rocky start) Lee and Kendall (after another poor start) made a more or less immediate impact.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That probably had something to do with scoring 3 own goals in 2 games and showing an attitude to match that of Leon Best. Duffy showed that he had potential during his time here but his attitude during his final few weeks was nothing short of a disgrace. And he still isn't anywhere near as him or his old man (there was another problem with Duffy) thought he was.

Exactly, and from what I can gather, Forest fans were annoyed at Brereton pushing for a move and felt it was for money.

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I don't do twitter.

I so want Brereton to be a success and would totally 'get' the investment of £7million in a true gem. In cameos, you'd see ability: something. What has anybody seen?

A young striker being played out wide for 8 minutes and/or having the ball thumped up somewhere in his general direction as everyone else on the team is a good 50 yards from him. Thought he looked far far better starting up front at Sheffield United and it forced us to play along the floor. 

Against the grain somewhat, our collapse came after he went off and we went back to route one, instead of the usual stuff spouted about him being the reason behind our late collapses which is laughable.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Think you are wrong.  If Rovers survive by finishing 4th from bottom then it's been a very, very poor season.  We are not the Accrington Stanley of the Championship!

When a club gets promotion then it should have momentum and look to push on.

If Mowbray really thinks it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push then in my opinion, he is not our man.  Get a manager in with a 'can do' attitude, some drive, passion and confidence in his own ability.  Didn't take Warnock long to turn Cardiff around!

I agree Mercer.

We had this discussion about intentionally, or planning to use time to build a team when Bowyer was in charge.  It didn’t happen and Bowyer isn’t here any more. IMO as a manager you don’t - or shouldn’t - approach things like that. You go into the job, working to be the best you can from day one. You don’t accept losing - ever. The players must never accept losing a game. Finishing fourth from the bottom must never be acceptable. Only being successful should be acceptable.

If after all that it does take a number of seasons to get where you want to be, then so be it. Clubs shouldn’t accept mediocrity and neither should the fans.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would prefer a realistic manager than one making false promises.

Your posts are contradictory, you acknowledge we aren't ready for a promotion push, but then say you don't want a manger to tell you it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push. So if we aren't ready, isn't he correct in saying it will take a few windows?? 

We don't always play shyte football. We have played very well in some games. Apart from the Wigan and Preston games, we have competed really well all season. 

Were you about when Howard Kendall got us promoted from the old Third Division (now League 1) in 1979/80 and only missed out on promotion to the First Division (now PL) the following season on goal difference (and if memory serves me correct, we were never lower than eighth)?

That is what good managers with ambition, drive, shrewd recruitment and a plan do.  Kendall also did it on buttons unlike Mowbray who threw £10million+ at it in the summer and for what?   Kendall's shopping list the season after promotion from the old Third Division, again if memory serves me right, comprised one player we paid a fee for (Speight at approx. £40,000) and a number of frees including Marshall Burke, Viv Busby and Roger De Vries (may also have included David Hamilton).

In my view, Mowbray cannot hold a candle to the likes of Ken Furphy, Gordon Lee, Jim Smith, Howard Kendall, Bobby Saxton, and Don Mackay etc.  They all worked under circumstances (financial and facilities) far worse than Mowbray's but all, in their own way, brought a measure of excitement and success to Rovers.

With the backing he's had, I think Mowbray should have made a much better fist of this season.  In my view, it was a huge mistake extending his contract as I think he's a bit of a managerial dinosaur and, in my opinion, we are going nowhere with him and I certainly don't want to have to wait several transfer windows for this to be confirmed. 

Edited by Mercer

Instant gratification generation out in full force again I see.

Can’t believe you’d prefer a manager to blow smoke up your arse or be deluded enough to think that our squad even has the bare bones of a promotion team in it.

Personally I think it’s extremely positive that Mowbray talks about 3-4 windows and we should “expect to be challenging” - it’s realistic yet still ambitious given what has happened to the team over the last few years.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Were you about when Howard Kendall got us promoted from the old Third Division (now League 1) in 1979/80 and only missed out on promotion to the First Division (now PL) the following season on goal difference (and if memory serves me correct, we were never lower than eighth)?

That is what good managers with ambition, drive, shrewd recruitment and a plan do.  Kendall also did it on buttons unlike Mowbray who threw £10million+ at it in the summer and for what?   Kendall's shopping list the season after promotion from the old Third Division, again if memory serves me right, comprised one player we paid a fee for (Speight at approx. £40,000) and a number of frees including Marshall Burke, Viv Busby and Roger De Vries (may also have included David Hamilton).

In my view, Mowbray cannot hold a candle to the likes of Ken Furphy, Gordon Lee, Jim Smith, Howard Kendall, Bobby Saxton, and Don Mackay etc.  They all worked under circumstances (financial and facilities) far worse than Mowbray's but all, in their own way, brought a measure of excitement and success to Rovers.

With the backing he's had, I think Mowbray should have made a much better fist of this season.  In my view, it was a huge mistake extending his contract as I think he's a bit of a managerial dinosaur and, in my opinion, we are going nowhere with him and I certainly don't want to have to wait several transfer windows for this to be confirmed. 

Can I recommend you watch Frankie Boyle's skit on "the good old days"? He's got you nailed. 

4 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Instant gratification generation out in full force again I see.

Can’t believe you’d prefer a manager to blow smoke up your arse or be deluded enough to think that our squad even has the bare bones of a promotion team in it.  That's down to Mowbray - he threw £10million+ at it in the summer and it's arguable if we are any stronger than we were last season.

Personally I think it’s extremely positive that Mowbray talks about 3-4 windows and we should “expect to be challenging” - it’s realistic yet still ambitious given what has happened to the team over the last few years.  And what a mess we were when Howard Kendall took over.  Promoted in first season from Third Division and missed promotion to First Division following season on goal difference - he didn't talk about 2 or 3 years down the line, just rolled up his sleeves and cracked on with it.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Not sure I understand the first bit - he is over promising or he isn’t? 

And for the second - personally I think the game has changed since back then, different circumstances, and Mowbray a different manager - not necessarily for the worst.

Everyone is spending mega bucks in this league nowadays to go up, you can replace the majority of your squad with “proven” Championship players overnight to gamble on promotion but end up like Sheffield Wednesday if it doesn’t work out.

Personally I prefer the more considered approach that takes into account the long term health of the club. But to each their own.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Can I recommend you watch Frankie Boyle's skit on "the good old days"? He's got you nailed. 

Really?

I form my opinions on both what I see and what I have seen.

I have seen managers at Rovers right through the good, the bad and the ugly spectrum and in my opinion, Mowbray gets away with, metaphorically, football management murder.  As I posted earlier, given the trials and tribulations of the Rao era, I think there are too many fans quite willing to bask in a sea of calmness and mediocrity which is what I think Mowbray offers.

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Not sure I understand the first bit - he is over promising or he isn’t? 

And for the second - personally I think the game has changed since back then, different circumstances, and Mowbray a different manager - not necessarily for the worst.

Everyone is spending mega bucks in this league nowadays to go up, you can replace the majority of your squad with “proven” Championship players overnight to gamble on promotion but end up like Sheffield Wednesday if it doesn’t work out.

Personally I prefer the more considered approach that takes into account the long term health of the club. But to each their own.

and you think it's 'considered' to throw £11million+ (fee and wages) at a player who Mowbray clearly thinks is not good enough to start a league game for us?

Just now, Mercer said:

and you think it's 'considered' to throw £11million+ (fee and wages) at a player who Mowbray clearly thinks is not good enough to start a league game for us?

Gets more expensive by the minute when you talk about BB. FYI it’s “undisclosed”.

If I need to explain why investing the larger amounts in very highly rated young English strikers is as financially sensible a decision you can make in football - then perhaps we’re on a different page.

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Gets more expensive by the minute when you talk about BB. FYI it’s “undisclosed”.

If I need to explain why investing the larger amounts in very highly rated young English strikers is as financially sensible a decision you can make in football - then perhaps we’re on a different page.

How highly do you rate him so far ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How highly do you rate so far ?

I’m on the fence to be fair, eternally positive though and will judge whether he was a sound buy over the length of his contract not the 300 minutes whilst on loan.

Lad’s 19. I’m right behind him either way and thought he was ok at Bramall Lane.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How highly do you rate him so far ?

In 300 minutes?! Have a word with yourself.  

Could you name another 19 year old striker currently doing better than him in the championship? 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Posters have provided links on this site since August from Forest / Rovers' sides confirming it's £7m plus add ons.  Anyhow, let's not get uptight about the odd million.

If BB is so highly rated why on earth is he not deemed good enough to start a league game for us.  We've even had Dack (and even Palmer I think) playing the striker's role in Graham's absence.  I've seen the lad, not for a full match as that would be as rare as rocking horse shyte, and he's shown me virtually nothing.  In all honesty, IMV, he looks no better than a free transfer gamble.

Just now, Mercer said:

Posters have provided links on this site since August from Forest / Rovers' sides confirming it's £7m plus add ons.  Anyhow, let's not get uptight about the odd million.

If BB is so highly rated why on earth is he not deemed good enough to start a league game for us.  We've even had Dack (and even Palmer I think) playing the striker's role in Graham's absence.  I've seen the lad, not for a full match as that would be as rare as rocking horse shyte, and he's shown me virtually nothing.  In all honesty, IMV, he looks no better than a free transfer gamble.

Well, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Or we can jump the gun and prematurely use it as another stick to beat the manager with.

Maybe that time will come where it’s justified - who knows.

But for now I’m willing to give the lad a chance and willing him on.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

In 300 minutes?! Have a word with yourself.  

Could you name another 19 year old striker currently doing better than him in the championship? 

Can you tell me another 19 year striker in the Championship who cost £7million+ but is deemed not good enough to start a league game? 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Wrong. Official line is 7m WITH potential add-ons. So 7m is the maximum we’ll pay not minimum. What that is up front is anyone’s guess.

Just now, Mercer said:

Can you tell me another 19 year striker in the Championship who cost £7million+ but is deemed not good enough to start a league game? 

I’ll take that as a no then. Any strikers you’d rather have signed for that money?

EDIT: Sunderland want £8million for Maja who has had half a season in league 1.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Wrong. Official line is 7m WITH potential add-ons. So 7m is the maximum we’ll pay not minimum. What that is up front is anyone’s guess.

Well someone posted the 'official' link some weeks ago on here which stated £7million PLUS add ons - think it might even have been Sharpe and LT from Rovers' side together with a Nottingham article.

So if the fee is 'undisclosed' how can there be an 'official' view.

Irrespective, it's a bloody lot of money for a bench warming teenager.

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’ll take that as a no then. Any strikers you’d rather have signed for that money?

Ugh don’t start this again!

There are other options of course - but BB is our player and investment. (Which I have seen reported as UP TO 7million btw)

It’s impossibly rare that you can sign a player and not see bargains other people have got that may seem more appealing.

I’m happy with the financials and what it means about long term strategies for the club. 

He’ll come good and hopefully cost us the full 7 million, then he’ll be worth every penny - but someone else will always get the next Messi for £100k.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Ugh don’t start this again!

There are other options of course - but BB is our player and investment. (Which IS reported as UP TO 7million btw)

It’s impossibly rare that you can sign a player and not see bargains other people have got that may seem more appealing.

I’m happy with the financials and what it means about long term strategies for the club. 

He’ll come good and hopefully cost us the full 7 million, then he’ll be worth every penny - but someone else will always get the next Messi for £100k.

I’m with you and the way I see it is we need him to have one 15-18 goal season and our money back on him is guaranteed. 

And i back him to have one of those seasons at some point in the next 4 years.

One things for sure I’ll celebrate his first goal more than any other we’ll score this season I’m routing for the guy.