BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

I would be looking forward to see what he does this summer if we stay up and he is backed to keep who he wants or spend what he gets. He certainly deserves time but as a club our scouting has weakened significantly over the years and it should be a focus. We need to get more creative to get out of this league, there is a reason the Premier League needed a non homegrown cap.

I don't want to be controversial or stir a hornets' nest that's being dealt with elsewhere but how will Brexit affect future recruitment from Europe? Will the rules about needing to play so many international games apply there? In which case recruiting from abroad suddenly becomes a whole lot harder as players we'd be looking to pick up would not be current internationals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savage90 said:

As much as I like the core of our current squad, I can't help but notice our scouting does appear weaker than ever. Where are the new Olssons,  Sambas,  Nelsons, Friedels, Pedersens, Hoiletts and Mokoenas!? I can't remember our last successful signing from abroad (although I haven't thought that hard about it)? Surely Championship equivalents should be easier to find! A lot of the more competitive squads in this league have had an edge from abroad and most haven't paid a lot either. I don't think you necessarily need to spend big in this league (of course it helps), which is why the Bereton signing has been a bit frustrating - to look at the extreme, that could have been 7 players for 1 million each which is potentially enough for a promotion squad in this league. 

Cardiff - Zohore, Gunnarrsson, Manga

Watford - Ighalo, Abdi, Paredes

Huddersfield - Kachunga, Billing, Low, Van La Parra, Schindler, Mooy

Wolves - Bonatini, Boly, Saiss

Some great signings and I'm sure there are a lot more team's players that have been unearthed via this league.

Let's spend a bit on some well scouted talent in the right areas, as much as I love Tony, I think it's time he broadened ones horizons 

None of these players expect paying for their services i take it?

1 hour ago, savage90 said:

As much as I like the core of our current squad, I can't help but notice our scouting does appear weaker than ever. Where are the new Olssons,  Sambas,  Nelsons, Friedels, Pedersens, Hoiletts and Mokoenas!? I can't remember our last successful signing from abroad (although I haven't thought that hard about it)? Surely Championship equivalents should be easier to find! A lot of the more competitive squads in this league have had an edge from abroad and most haven't paid a lot either. I don't think you necessarily need to spend big in this league (of course it helps), which is why the Bereton signing has been a bit frustrating - to look at the extreme, that could have been 7 players for 1 million each which is potentially enough for a promotion squad in this league. 

Cardiff - Zohore, Gunnarrsson, Manga

Watford - Ighalo, Abdi, Paredes

Huddersfield - Kachunga, Billing, Low, Van La Parra, Schindler, Mooy

Wolves - Bonatini, Boly, Saiss

Some great signings and I'm sure there are a lot more team's players that have been unearthed via this league.

Let's spend a bit on some well scouted talent in the right areas, as much as I love Tony, I think it's time he broadened ones horizons 

I really like Zohore would be a good direct replacement for Graham. Holds the ball up very well

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We would make a profit on Armstrong, Rothwell, Smallwood, Rodwell, Nuttall and probably Bell if we sold them. 

I doubt that very much. Rodwell will be lucky to get another club on a free if he flops at Rovers. None of the others have exactly set the World on fire at this level. I'd say on a good day we'd get our money back with the rest.

For every one that works out from abroad, there are around 20 that or more that don't. I am not against it, we should be looking abroad a bit more, but it's not going to guarantee success. 

The Wolves players mentioned all cost more than 10 million.

Watford got some good deals due to their links with Udinese(same owner)

The Huddersfield players mentioned cost between 4 and 10 million. Still, some good deals, but were seen as gambles at the time. 

Cardiff did some good business, but it was the managerial appointment that really worked out. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I doubt that very much. Rodwell will be lucky to get another club on a free if he flops at Rovers. None of the others have exactly set the World on fire at this level. I'd say on a good day we'd get our money back with the rest.

Doubt what? We signed Smallwood and Rothwell on frees, we would get at least 500,000 each for them now, absolute minimum.  Nuttall was free, we should surely get a fee for him. Armstrong is worth more now as well and his price will have gone up again come the summer. Not huge amounts of money, but profits none the less. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Doubt what? We signed Smallwood and Rothwell on frees, we would get at least 500,000 each for them now, absolute minimum.  Nuttall was free, we should surely get a fee for him. Armstrong is worth more now as well and his price will have gone up again come the summer. Not huge amounts of money, but profits none the less. 

Why is Armstrong worth more now? Before he joined us he had 7 goals in 56 Championship games now his record is 9 goals in 80 Championship games, no chance that anyone would pay more than we paid for him. We had to pay compensation for Rothwell and despite a few decent cameos he hasn't really done anything significant since signing.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How do you know what Armstrong would go for now ? The juries out for me. I had my doubts about him thriving at  this level and so far he hasn't.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How do you know what Armstrong would go for now ? The juries out for me. I had my doubts about him thriving at  this level and so far he hasn't.

I'm not his biggest fan either, but we got him at a snip when you look at what other players cost. 

You said no players would turn a profit other than Dack. Would you agree with em that we could sell Smallwood and Rothwell for less than 0? :) 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For me, Armstrong will only work playing in 2 up front in a big and little partnership.  An inside forward/winger he is not.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm not his biggest fan either, but we got him at a snip when you look at what other players cost. 

You said no players would turn a profit other than Dack. Would you agree with em that we could sell Smallwood and Rothwell for less than 0? :) 

I don't know wether  we would or not. I don't think we'd be trampled in the rush to sign either of them to be honest. Dack was a snip, Armstrong I'm not so sure. As I said at the time,  the new Matt Derbyshire only not as good.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dead right and that ship sailed a long time ago at Rovers.

Time to try the 352 out again? He always speaks so highly of Sheffield United and the way they play. Would also justify us having so many strikers on the books.

We paid  fees for Rothwell and Davenport thought to be in the region of 800k combined at the time. I cant remember the exact figures but I always assumed Rothwell cost us around 400k. Can't see his value has increased by sitting on the bench.

Likewise I can't see Clubs queueing up to pay more than 3m for AA. I'd say his value has dipped rather than increased on the basis of his (rather disappointing) performances this season.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We paid  fees for Rothwell and Davenport thought to be in the region of 800k combined at the time. I cant remember the exact figures but I always assumed Rothwell cost us around 400k. Can't see his value has increased by sitting on the bench.

Likewise I can't see Clubs queueing up to pay more than 3m for AA. I'd say his value has dipped rather than increased on the basis of his (rather disappointing) performances this season.

We signed Armstrong for 1.75 million plus add ons. There is no way his value has decreased. 

We signed Armstrong for 1.75 million plus add ons. There is no way his value has decreased. 

The AA deal is valued at £3m in total though isn't it? If he doesn't trigger any add on clauses that would tend to suggest the move wouldn't have been a success.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Time to try the 352 out again? He always speaks so highly of Sheffield United and the way they play. Would also justify us having so many strikers on the books.

I think that is the system that long term he wants to play but we simply don't have a good enough defence to play it. We certainly don't have 3 centre backs good enough for this level, given Lenihan's performances this season I'm not even sure that we have two. At ring wing back Bennett isn't good enough defensively to play it and Nyambe isn't good enough going forward. As for Left wing back whichever one of Bell and Williams you pick they aren't good enough either as wing back or just normal full backs.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

The AA deal is valued at £3m in total though isn't it? If he doesn't trigger any add on clauses that would tend to suggest the move wouldn't have been a success.

Lots of clauses these days are unrealistic to say the least to be fair. A different level i know but Everton had to put one in in case Digne wins the Ballon D'Or there. There will probably be England caps and all sorts in Armstrongs.

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think that is the system that long term he wants to play but we simply don't have a good enough defence to play it. We certainly don't have 3 centre backs good enough for this level, given Lenihan's performances this season I'm not even sure that we have two. At ring wing back Bennett isn't good enough defensively to play it and Nyambe isn't good enough going forward. As for Left wing back whichever one of Bell and Williams you pick they aren't good enough either as wing back or just normal full backs.

Yet they are not areas he seems to want to improve. Odd!