BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

57 minutes ago, rigger said:

Conway for left back.

I suspect in terms of his defensive awareness, a move that sort of makes sense but may prove similar to Bennett, ie it might prove to be a change far better in theory than in practice.

I also think its more of a hindrance at full back rather than in midfield to be playing on the opposite side.

38 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Probably been mentioned but bit concerned that our Bradders popped himself nicely into shop window for this month by scoring yesterday, even more than he was. Luckily I don't think West Ham are in enough trouble to go and spend £20m on him. 

Or do we think we need the cash to rebuild the squad?

There is nothing to suggest that 20m (we wouldnt get all of it but even if we did) would be of more use to us than Dack. We need him to stay for as long as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

His initial loan period he was good otherwise he wouldn't have signed permanent. When duff left he wasn't the same player

I was one of seemingly very few who didn't especially rate him during his loan period either. Didn't see what the fuss was, or why we were willing to spend that much on him. Given how many people thought he was class at the time though, maybe I was missing something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I suspect in terms of his defensive awareness, a move that sort of makes sense but may prove similar to Bennett, ie it might prove to be a change far better in theory than in practice.

I also think its more of a hindrance at full back rather than in midfield to be playing on the opposite side.

There is nothing to suggest that 20m (we wouldnt get all of it but even if we did) would be of more use to us than Dack. We need him to stay for as long as possible. 

Nothing to suggest? I'd say the last month or so suggests we could do with a whole new defence, frankly. 

Don't want to lose him at all as the guy is the latest Rovers legend for me but let's be honest he is going at some point because we ain't getting back to the PL with the lunatics running the place. 

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’m aware that this was the background used on his summer deal. However Dack has just changed his profile picture to this today. 

F1305992-CD03-41FF-B3D6-10A27BEEB816.png

Hope he stays - despite every media and betting (!) outlet trying to get him into the window spotlight.

As much as he owes Mowbray a lot, I think that the likes of Graham, Mulgrew and Bennett being here and seemingly loving life at Rovers is as much of a factor in wanting to stay. He must be enjoying being part of this group, particularly if, as Mowbray suggests, we have a player-run working environment that he guides and shapes.

2 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Nothing to suggest? I'd say the last month or so suggests we could do with a whole new defence, frankly. 

Don't want to lose him at all as the guy is the latest Rovers legend for me but let's be honest he is going at some point because we ain't getting back to the PL with the lunatics running the place. 

I just feel that some people are perhaps underestimating quite how crucial he is. Especially his goals. We will really struggle to get near replacing him.

• Like 4

Gresko has to be one of the most erratic players I've ever seen at Rovers one week he was racing down the pitch from left back and scoring the next he was marking a corner at the near post and turning his back on the ball !!!

Thought he was potentially really decent when he was on loan but he somewhat fell off the cliff once he'd signed permanently, think his twin brother pitched up instead.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just feel that some people are perhaps underestimating quite how crucial he is. Especially his goals. We will really struggle to get near replacing him.

you do realise we where talking about Conway

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair enough. I'd tend to agree with you, he can disappear in games but I suspect thats more to do with everyone being aware of his talents now and opposition managers planning accordingly. His stats speak for themselves.

I just find accepting he is going makes it less painful when he does. 

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

you do realise we where talking about Conway

My comments comparing Conway to Bennett and mentioning his inability to play as a full back where about him. The line you quoted was in response to a conversation about the potential of selling Dack for 20m to remodel the team.

8 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Fair enough. I'd tend to agree with you, he can disappear in games but I suspect thats more to do with everyone being aware of his talents now and opposition managers planning accordingly. His stats speak for themselves.

I just find accepting he is going makes it less painful when he does. 

Our reliance on him and Graham for goals makes them as criticial a strikeforce to a team as any in the league id suggest. Any notion that the likes of Rothwell could come in and replace him are fanciful to say the least.

6 minutes ago, neophox said:

Rovers looking to sign Sam Gallagher on loan with a view to a permanent deal in summer and also want Reed in summer on permanent deal. 

Also looking at an defender at a Prem club. 

Where is this from?

22 minutes ago, neophox said:

Rovers looking to sign Sam Gallagher on loan with a view to a permanent deal in summer and also want Reed in summer on permanent deal. 

Must be throwing some money at it then. That sounds like a 12m+ window for me.

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Must be throwing some money at it then. That sounds like a 12m+ window for me.

It sounds like one, possibly two loans. With a view to 12 million or so in the summer...

I'd rather not spend big on Gallagher personally. He's decent and has potential but nothing special yet. Don't object to loaning him.

31 minutes ago, neophox said:

I don't think Gallagher is the answer. Reed is obviously the sort of player we need to be signing.

• Like 2

Gallagher I think only has 12 months left on his deal at the end of this season. He'll be 24 later this year and has only made 18 appearances for Southampton. He needs to move on and establish himself in a Championship team, and if that means taking a wage cut that might be something he has to take. Sitting on his backside for another 18 months shouldn't be an option. 

With him having been here before and knowing most of the players here we should be near the front of the queue. 

I'd be pleased if we could get him and Reed on permanent, expect Reed would be tougher to do and would cost a fair bit.

The Gallagher stuff is an obvious link. Mowbray likes him according to reports and the loan deal for him was mooted by Nixon today in the S*n.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/06/southamptons-sam-gallagher-reportedly-on-hull-and-blackburns-rad/

Reed on a permanent in the summer is also an obvious guess.

A Prem defender on loan could be anybody. Literally anyone can say that.

Not sure how all that equates to a '£12m window' though if none of them are permanent?.

Its quite clear that looking at the strikers we have had under Mowbray; Armstrong and Brereton this season and Samuel and Antonsson prior, not to mention Gallagher himself. He has not trusted anyone bar Graham because he has the skillset needed to play as a lone striker (with Dack as a 10) in that he holds the ball up. Gallagher is flimsy, weak, like Brereton in terms of his inability to win flick ons despite his height, and thus is incapable of doing the same job. His assets are more that he is a fairly quick runner who can carry the ball.

It would make absolutely no sense to sign another striker who would most likely be stuck out wide, where he is not very effective, and one who doesnt have the skillset to come in when Graham is unavailable to play that same role. He has already spunked 9m up the wall on strikers that he doesnt trust to play that central role due to an inability to hold the ball up. If he wants to modify his style of play when Graham isnt in the team, then he may aswell persist with the 2 permanent strikers he has already signed, rather than loaning in another bang average striker. I think I would prefer Armstrong to play as a centre forward over Gallagher, and Breretons price tag means he is under pressure to at least try and get a return on him.

Thankfully I suspect theres at least a chance that it is just lazy journalism. We are linked with the same handful of players, predominantly former loanees like Gallagher and Chapman, hopefully Mowbray is casting his net further than that otherwise we need to look at our scouting structure. Chapman is riddled with injuries and he openly doesnt trust him to start games, and towards the end of his first season, he put Gallagher wide in a front 3 because he didnt trust him in his natural position. Why he would settle for 2 players he clearly has doubts about is beyond me.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

Not too sure about Gallagher. He'll need to play up front and would end up out wide? 

Reed on a permanent deal would be great business.

Unless we’re preparing for a change in formation when the inevitable happens and we’re Dackless. I agree I wouldn’t want Gallagher if he’s to be used like Brereton/Armstrong.

Reed on a permanent deal would be a fabulous bit of business.

We've seen how difficult it is to get a player in this division who can be comfortable on the ball as well as well as properly compete in the middle of the park. Come to think of it I don't think we've had a single one, other than perhaps David Jones on loan. If young Travis develops into the sort of player that he looks like he might be, then all of a sudden our perennial problem position (even though Evans and Smallwood are a big improvement on what we've had in years) could suddenly be a real strength. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher is flimsy, weak, like Brereton in terms of his inability to win flick ons despite his height, and thus is incapable of doing the same job.

It's seems an enduring myth that he was weak and poor in the air. I look forward to the day we have a striker as good as this lad at scoring with headers. He's got a better leap on him than Graham and BB put together. 

Graham doesn't actually win a lot in the air, he uses his experience, body and strength ( and also a little shove in the small of the back of the defender) to give himself the space to bring the ball down or nod/chest it to our players. For that reason he doesn't have to win a lot of flick ons.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's seems an enduring myth that he was weak and poor in the air. I look forward to the day we have a striker as good as this lad at scoring with headers. He's got a better leap on him than Graham and BB put together. 

Graham doesn't actually win a lot in the air, he uses his experience, body and strength ( and also a little shove in the small of the back of the defender) to give himself the space to bring the ball down or nod/chest it to our players. For that reason he doesn't have to win a lot of flick ons.  

Point well made.

I confess to being underwhelmed by the whole idea of this player, but (for political reasons) I saw very little of the Coyle campaign...and my memory may be more myth than reality...

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Gallagher scored quite a few headers due to good movement predominantly so fair play but I stand by that he was weak and unable to play that lone striker role very effectively. Rhodes also scored a number of very good headers, but he wasnt a good hold up man either, although I would argue he was better than given credit for and of course justified a place solely down to his phenomenal goals return, of which Gallagher doesnt offer. Mowbray ended the season with Gallagher in a wide role and Graham in a central role. My argument is based around the fact that I wouldn't want Gallagher in that number 9 role, I don't think he has the skillset to play with his back to goal alot of the time and supplement Dack. I also dont think that Mowbray would see him as a natural replacement when Graham is unavailable, therefore if we are going to have to change our game without Graham anyway, it would surely be wasteful to not try and do that with one of the 2 strikers he bought in the summer for a combined 9m.

You are right about Graham, he knows how to play referees as much as he knows how to play defenders, 

Hes an average striker with a very modest goal total of 17 goals in 89 games. He definitely showed more to his game than Brereton has thus far, I would rather have him on our books now, but for the reasons above I see no point in signing him on a loan deal, especially when I consider both full back positions, a wide man and a centre back to be more needed than a striker, especially one like Gallagher.

• Like 1