BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Do that and every player they go in for price goes up!

Fair enough I didn't think of that. Speaking of young strikers. Sunderland Josh Maja who has 14 goal has just refused to sign a new contract and only has 6 months left I think.

Is he any good? If so we would be able to get him quite cheap and would fit into best quality from league 1 signings.

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Fair enough I didn't think of that. Speaking of young strikers. Sunderland Josh Maja who has 14 goal has just refused to sign a new contract and only has 6 months left I think.

Is he any good? If so we would be able to get him quite cheap and would fit into best quality from league 1 signings.

He looks a very good talent and if we wanted to bring in a young striker and develop him we would have been a better off picking him up on the cheap (given his contractual situation) rather than paying the sort of money we paid for Brereton where you would really want an instant return.

26 minutes ago, Neal said:

Would have though Chapman would have been done 1st week of Jan after missing out last knockings in the summer. 

Sharpe says he thinks he’ll be a Rovers player either this month or come the summer. Think it’s a massive gamble personally - I can’t see him suddenly clearing himself of all these injuries.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Neal said:

Would have though Chapman would have been done 1st week of Jan after missing out last knockings in the summer. 

Same here. I think it depends on boro though and their asking price. They cant be asking too much for a player who didnt feature in their 18-man squad for the past few months and who is on the last few months of his contract. Probably Tony is playing the waiting game here for the price to come to a normal level, otherwise boro run the risk we get him on a free in the summer.

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

And will probably be as effective sitting in the stands with us ?

Haha bloody hell.

4 games worth of minutes (mainly from the bench), two goals wrongly disallowed, two assists, won a penalty.

Are we going with the Baby Shark "Bre-re-TON" chant tomorrow lads?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe says he thinks he’ll be a Rovers player either this month or come the summer. Think it’s a massive gamble personally - I can’t see him suddenly clearing himself of all these injuries.

It's only a massive gamble if it costs a massive amount. It won't.

I'd be looking to try doing a deal in the range of about 200k if possible, with a sell on (I don't like doing them but Boro will insist). Then a 2 year deal with a 1 year extension option in the club's favour, on wages in the region of 2k p/w (though I've no idea what he is on at Boro). If those wages aren't enough I'd look to supplement it with a decent appearance fee.

That wouldn't be a massive gamble, that'd be a good deal with a small risk. Brereton was a massive gamble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz said:

Probably Tony is playing the waiting game here for the price to come to a normal level, otherwise boro run the risk we get him on a free in the summer.

People keep forgetting this, but he is unlikely to be available on a free in the summer. Due to his age, if Boro offer him a new contract on the same or better terms, they will be owed compensation at tribunal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's only a massive gamble if it costs a massive amount. It won't.

I'd be looking to try doing a deal in the range of about 200k if possible, with a sell on (I don't like doing them but Boro will insist). Then a 2 year deal with a 1 year extension option in the club's favour, on wages in the region of 2k p/w (though I've no idea what he is on at Boro). If those wages aren't enough I'd look to supplement it with a decent appearance fee.

That wouldn't be a massive gamble, that'd be a good deal with a small risk. Brereton was a massive gamble.

Chapman is a bigger risk than Brereton at those figures. He has been out injured 3 times since leaving here. I like him, but it's not looking good for him. 

• Like 1

Where does Chapman fit into this team? He struggled for game time the last time he was here in a poorer division before his serious injuries. Mowbray said on record that he didn't think Chapman was ready for anything but a late cameo when he could run at teams.

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman is a bigger risk than Brereton at those figures. He has been out injured 3 times since leaving here. I like him, but it's not looking good for him. 

Sorry mate but just gonna have to say 'hogwash'. For a club like ours those figures are nothing. The Brereton ones are huge for us. Chapman has injury strifes, that's the only reason it's a gamble at all. Other players have put injury woes behind them (Graham and Mulgrew for starters), so those figures would be a risk, but a smaller one by far than spunking nearly all our budget on Brereton was.

I'd go as far as to say has less chance of him moving on for a profit than not doing. Especially under Tony's system and approach to youngsters. He would likely offer something in cameos at least though, which can change games.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Where does Chapman fit into this team? He struggled for game time the last time he was here in a poorer division before his serious injuries. Mowbray said on record that he didn't think Chapman was ready for anything but a late cameo when he could run at teams.

Exactly that.  We have nobody in the side that can genuinely beat a full back.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

And will probably be as effective sitting in the stands with us ?

I admit the above made me chuckle :) and that I had hoped we had some secret last minute escape route from this deal but that's not the case.

Now our signing for the new mantra "undisclosed" fee is a full on Rover so all the best of luck to Ben. Good for him is good for us.

It's going to be interesting tracking his development.

Somewhere on here I've said this is a play for profits. To big those up he has to play and he has to perform well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

And Graham has signed until June 2020.

Full article here.

So we've given new deals to a guy who if he lasts that long at all is at best ion his last legs and another who we refuse to hand a start to and who as a result may never make it. We really arent progressing as a Club at all are we?

Re: Graham it said in the LT that one more appearance in the last game would activate a clause in his contract entitling him to  a new deal. I thought Venky's had stopped that sort of nonsense when John Williams left.

46 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Chapman should imo have been our player by now, assuming a reasonable level of fitness, he's exactly what we lack. The problem is TM doesn't really rate him and would rather play a past it Conway or a "wide striker" out of position there because he perceives rightly or wrongly that out and out wide men don't give us enough defensive solidity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So we've given new deals to a guy who if he lasts that long at all is at best ion his last legs and another who we refuse to hand a start to and who as a result may never make it. We really arent progressing as a Club at all are we?

Re: Graham it said in the LT that one more appearance in the last game would activate a clause in his contract entitling him to  a new deal. I thought Venky's had stopped that sort of nonsense when John Williams left.

Surely it's good to keep Danny around so that Ben can learn the art of Striker from a proven expert to aid and potentially speed up his development.

How many minutes did "last legs" manage in games he started over the busy festive period?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Got to be fair Rev, Graham has looked plenty fit enough to me -demonstrated by him chasing down the WBA backline in the last 5 mins on Tues.  Something a fresh on the pitch 19 year old couldn't manage.

40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In fairness Graham looks a lot fitter than the 19-year-old who is supposed to replace him.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

How many minutes did "last legs" manage in games he started over the busy festive period?

Quite  a lot. How did we fare in those games, how many did he score?.

I knew people would leap to Graham's defence when I posted but we need to be looking forward and trying to improve the side not rewarding ageing players for past performance.

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Quite  a lot. How did we fare in those games, how many did he score?.

I knew people would leap to Graham's defence when I posted but we need to be looking forward and trying to improve the side not rewarding ageing players for past performance.

Not sure why this one bothers you tbh. All it means is he is signed up to next season. I'm sure he will at least be adequate as back up next season. After that I expect we will part ways.