BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher scored quite a few headers due to good movement predominantly so fair play but I stand by that he was weak and unable to play that lone striker role very effectively.

He may not be able to play the lone striker role well but it won't be because he's weak or unable to win headers was my point. And it wasn't just good movement that got him those headed goals but because he has a cracking leap. Those youtube goals clearly show that.

We'll be doing well to get anyone as good as Graham for the hold-up role but SG may bring something a bit different in that he's a lot quicker and can drag defenders around. I'd love to have him back.

• Like 1

Personally think if both Reed and Gallagher come in from Southampton it's planning to go into a two up front formation with Dack sold to buy the two.

Don't know whether I'd take a formation like a 442 with Travis and Reed in the middle and a new centre back to pull the defence together as a replacement for Dack.

As well as another younger striker to add to what we have but then you need wingers as well. Could take 5 players in to compensate losing 1.

10 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Personally think if both Reed and Gallagher come in from Southampton it's planning to go into a two up front formation with Dack sold to buy the two.

Don't know whether I'd take a formation like a 442 with Travis and Reed in the middle and a new centre back to pull the defence together as a replacement for Dack.

As well as another younger striker to add to what we have but then you need wingers as well. Could take 5 players in to compensate losing 1.

We need 3 new wingers if we're playing 442!

Doesn't the path of Gallaghers agent lead to Rovers ?    Probably why its always been on the radar as if his deal runs out in summer he's a good chance of getting a nice fat one here if it is the case.

Might be nice if he came on loan looking to earn that deal we could see a real player for a few months and hopefully reap the benefits.

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He may not be able to play the lone striker role well but it won't be because he's weak or unable to win headers was my point. And it wasn't just good movement that got him those headed goals but because he has a cracking leap. Those youtube goals clearly show that.

We'll be doing well to get anyone as good as Graham for the hold-up role but SG may bring something a bit different in that he's a lot quicker and can drag defenders around. I'd love to have him back.

I understand that he may bring something different, and I totally appreciate that a different type of forward could be brought in assuming we changed our style.

But then my argument would be, Mowbray spent 9m on strikers who prefer to run in behind (albeit Brereton hasnt shown that) but neither have proved effective central as we would have to modify our style and go less direct, something Mowbray has been unwilling or unable to do. Surely if that changes, we should try and base it around at least part of our 9m worth of strikers, because playing Gallagher in our current style would IMO prove as fruitless as it has with anyone bar Graham.

I'm not saying that Gallagher is useless, albeit his goal record in the Championship is very modest, I just dont understand prioritising the sort of striker that Gallagher is.

I also think going for him and Chapman would be the rest of some very limited recruitment/scouting.

11 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Dack over Gallagher and Reed any day!

Think it would be incredibly unlikely to see all of the Dack money reinvested, for a start if you plan to spread the cost over 5 players thats a hell of an increase in wages etc.

Graham will be 34 by the start of next season he is not going to be getting any fitter. Brereton doesn't look up to the job of replacing him and we need someone who can. I would not be against signing Gallagher for a reasonable price. He did decently last time here in a poor side, decent in the air, a very hard worker and not a bad finisher. I still think that long term Mowbray would like to play 3-4-1-2, although for me a substantial overhaul of the defence is needed if that is going to happen. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Graham will be 34 by the start of next season he is not going to be getting any fitter. Brereton doesn't look up to the job of replacing him and we need someone who can. I would not be against signing Gallagher for a reasonable price. He did decently last time here in a poor side, decent in the air, a very hard worker and not a bad finisher. I still think that long term Mowbray would like to play 3-4-1-2, although for me a substantial overhaul of the defence is needed if that is going to happen. 

Gallagher would suit a 3-4-1-2. They’d be a greater emphasis on pressing and unlike Brereton when he was here he worked very hard and harried everything despite the rest not following suit. 

• Like 2

Was told the other night by someone who appeared a credible source that the owners have handed TM a 20m budget this window, the only potential fly in the ointment being that TM doesn't like spending unless he is completely confident about tbe target in question.

We shall see. If they have, I hope we don't waste too much of it on Gallagher. Average at best for me, tries hard but lacking in quality and a pretty terrible scoring record.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Was told the other night by someone who appeared a credible source that the owners have handed TM a 20m budget this window, the only potential fly in the ointment being that TM doesn't like spending unless he is completely confident about tbe target in question.

We shall see. If they have, I hope we don't waste too much of it on Gallagher. Average at best for me, tries hard but lacking in quality and a pretty terrible scoring record.

Are you sure he hadn't been on the sauce too long - £2m can easily get confused for £20m!

Worrying he he was completely confident in Brereton!

Edited by Mercer

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Are you sure he hadn't been on the sauce too long - £2m can easily get confused for £20m!

Worrying he he was completely confident in Brereton!

I thought it sounded as far fetched as you and I wouldn't have bothered repeating it other than for the fact it came from an ostensibly excellent source and yes he was sober as a judge!

I thought the same about BB. I can't believe he was a TM signing given the lack of game time he's had.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In that case, snap up Reed---quick! Even Tony can't have any doubts about him, he's our best player! If Tony has good money to spend and hasn't the confidence to spend it, then that's a major issue.

• Like 3

Given we aren't challenging, or likely to, for a top six place, I would be surprised if Mowbray has anything other than a bit of loose change to play with.

Even if we sell Dack, I very much doubt much of it would be there to be recycled.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

In that case, snap up Reed---quick! Even Tony can't have any doubts about him, he's our best player! If Tony has good money to spend and hasn't the confidence to spend it, then that's a major issue.

Think Moyes was like that at Everton - suffered from the transfer yips.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Imagine if Venkys were so desperate to recover the money that they have thrown at Rovers (loaned) that they want to bank roll a quick return.

And the manager they now have won’t or can’t spend it!

£20m budget this January???

Sure in our dreams if we are challenging for promotion or struggling to avoid relegation.

But January is not the window for splurging.

Let's go back to reality- there is a three window strategic transfer plan which Mowbray and Waggott are working to. There is nothing about being 15th and 12 points above the drop which would convince anyone to change that strategy.

The three window budget MIGHT be £20m fees plus WAGES.

I expect the strategy for this window is:

- Defensive strengthening signing

- an increase in loan players by a net one (Palmer might be genuinely ill but he genuinely isn't cup tied for going elsewhere on loan)

- loan players with option to buy if we can swing such deals (lack of visible action suggests there are tricky negotiations happening)

- opportunistic signing of Reed permanently if we can

• Like 1