BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think that is the system that long term he wants to play but we simply don't have a good enough defence to play it. We certainly don't have 3 centre backs good enough for this level, given Lenihan's performances this season I'm not even sure that we have two. At ring wing back Bennett isn't good enough defensively to play it and Nyambe isn't good enough going forward. As for Left wing back whichever one of Bell and Williams you pick they aren't good enough either as wing back or just normal full backs.

I agree. Mulgrew more than capable being one of them. Don't know what this Bauer is like he seems mad keen on. Lenihan some games, especially early season looked premier league ready and some games he looks mid table league 1, that'll come with experience i guess. Bell was definitely bought with the intention of 3 at the back too in my opinion as he is in no way the conventional left back. Mowbray's problem would be he can only play one of Evans or Smallwood if we were to keep Reedy ?

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nobody is dressing it up. Yes, the fee was high, but again, was Dack the same player at 19 as he is now? He wasn't. So if someone had have spotted him and committed 10 million, they would have done well. 

We have Graham arguably playing the best football of his career, we have Brereton as his understudy learning from him. No panic.

Hard to tell if he is a dud or not after 300 minutes of football, but you are entitled to your opinion. 

Understudy!?!?

Brereton has yet to start a league game when Graham has been unavailable !!

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The AA deal is valued at £3m in total though isn't it? If he doesn't trigger any add on clauses that would tend to suggest the move wouldn't have been a success.

Stop moving the goalposts :) We got Armstrong for a good price going off what is being paid for players these days. Even I will admit that and I'm not his biggest fan. 

• Like 1

The only ones putting pressure on Mowbray are the fans. Most would have been happy with survival this season, but our good start moved the goalposts and now expectations are higher. Mowbray has always said it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push. 

Think you are wrong.  If Rovers survive by finishing 4th from bottom then it's been a very, very poor season.  We are not the Accrington Stanley of the Championship!

When a club gets promotion then it should have momentum and look to push on.

If Mowbray really thinks it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push then in my opinion, he is not our man.  Get a manager in with a 'can do' attitude, some drive, passion and confidence in his own ability.  Didn't take Warnock long to turn Cardiff around!

Nobody is dressing it up. Yes, the fee was high, but again, was Dack the same player at 19 as he is now? He wasn't. So if someone had have spotted him and committed 10 million, they would have done well. 

We have Graham arguably playing the best football of his career, we have Brereton as his understudy learning from him. No panic.

Hard to tell if he is a dud or not after 300 minutes of football, but you are entitled to your opinion. 

The thing is, age alone is not enough to justify a big fee. No one has pointed out any attributes that he has showcased in a Rovers shirt I actually think his price tag is somewhat working to his advantage as im not convinced his form from his cameos has done enough to guarantee a place in the 18 over even Nuttall.

You say he is learning from Graham but ive seen no signs of it yet. He does the opposite of Graham, he doesnt hold the ball up, he doesnt press with the same intensity, he doesnt challenge for headers, he doesnt offer a goal threat.

I think it must be because Mowbray favors players from here for whatever reason. That nonsense with the Portuguese connection appears to have knocked our overseas recruitment on it's head. We should be looking alright. 

Your primary argument against those who suggest that the Brereton money could have been spent far more effectively is that the market is difficult, not every signing is guaranteed to be a success and theres a chance any alternative would have proved equally ineffective thus far. That goes without saying but in no way justifies the deal. 

@savage90 makes an excellent point on scouting and one that I have also mentioned, I feel that if our transfer list compromises of solely British based players including former players like Gallagher and Chapman then we are working at a disadvantage. Whether that be a restriction from above Mowbrays head, or a choice by Mowbray to solely target British players, and if its the latter I consider that to be a narrow minded principle.

Huddersfield are an excellent example of what knowledge of the foreign markets can do. They were pottering around the lower end of the Championship until they exploited in particular the German market, signing the likes of Kachunga, Schindler, Lowe, Hefele and Quaner, blended in with a couple of loans in Mooy and Palmer and of course some British players they were at a massive advantage. 

You look at strikers like Pukki and Maupay who have been brought into the league by competitors (and we have competitive wages to offer) and it makes the Brereton deal look even less value for money.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, age alone is not enough to justify a big fee. No one has pointed out any attributes that he has showcased in a Rovers shirt I actually think his price tag is somewhat working to his advantage as im not convinced his form from his cameos has done enough to guarantee a place in the 18 over even Nuttall.

You say he is learning from Graham but ive seen no signs of it yet. He does the opposite of Graham, he doesnt hold the ball up, he doesnt press with the same intensity, he doesnt challenge for headers, he doesnt offer a goal threat.

Your primary argument against those who suggest that the Brereton money could have been spent far more effectively is that the market is difficult, not every signing is guaranteed to be a success and theres a chance any alternative would have proved equally ineffective thus far. That goes without saying but in no way justifies the deal. 

@savage90 makes an excellent point on scouting and one that I have also mentioned, I feel that if our transfer list compromises of solely British based players including former players like Gallagher and Chapman then we are working at a disadvantage. Whether that be a restriction from above Mowbrays head, or a choice by Mowbray to solely target British players, and if its the latter I consider that to be a narrow minded principle.

Huddersfield are an excellent example of what knowledge of the foreign markets can do. They were pottering around the lower end of the Championship until they exploited in particular the German market, signing the likes of Kachunga, Schindler, Lowe, Hefele and Quaner, blended in with a couple of loans in Mooy and Palmer and of course some British players they were at a massive advantage. 

You look at strikers like Pukki and Maupay who have been brought into the league by competitors (and we have competitive wages to offer) and it makes the Brereton deal look even less value for money.

I think it's a fair point about the lack of use of the foreign market. For the 24k p.w. wages he is allegedly on and the likely fee involved you're not telling me there is no-one better available across Europe than Gallagher.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think you are wrong.  If Rovers survive by finishing 4th from bottom then it's been a very, very poor season.  We are not the Accrington Stanley of the Championship!

When a club gets promotion then it should have momentum and look to push on.

If Mowbray really thinks it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push then in my opinion, he is not our man.  Get a manager in with a 'can do' attitude, some drive, passion and confidence in his own ability.  Didn't take Warnock long to turn Cardiff around!

Wrong about what? If you go into the thread where posters said they think we will finish, plenty said they would be happy with just survival. Personally I think clubs who go up should have momentum and do well in the league above. 

Of course Mowbray will say it will take time. He inherited a squad about to be relegated. It would be incredibly naive of him to be coming out saying we could get promoted this year. I am sure Mowbray has those attributes and belief, I just don't understand how you think him coming out saying we could get promoted this season would be a good idea. 

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Jesus, give the lad time. He is here a few months. 

• Like 1

The worrying point regarding Brereton for me is he doesn't show any positives whatsoever. Add to that what Tomphil said (I think) that he has the same agent as TM, then the warning signs ring ding.

I'd love Brereton to be the next Alan Shearer, even if it takes a year or so but there are no signs in any respect up to press.

I've also read what Forest fans thoughts are on the subject and they are cocking themselves at £7 million. When you then factor in the previous Waggott and Mowbray connections allied to the shite at Rovers in the past 7 or 8 years, it's no wonder there are questions asked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

The worrying point regarding Brereton for me is he doesn't show any positives whatsoever. Add to that what Tomphil said (I think) that he has the same agent as TM, then the warning signs ring ding.

I'd love Brereton to be the next Alan Shearer, even if it takes a year or so but there are no signs in any respect up to press.

I've also read what Forest fans thoughts are on the subject and they are cocking themselves at £7 million. When you then factor in the previous Waggott and Mowbray connections allied to the shite at Rovers in the past 7 or 8 years, it's no wonder there are questions asked.

Whats the agents name? 

They were saying they shouldn't sell him for less than £15 million before we signed him. 

What does Mowbarys connection to Waggott have to do with anything? 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wrong about what? If you go into the thread where posters said they think we will finish, plenty said they would be happy with just survival. Personally I think clubs who go up should have momentum and do well in the league above. 

Of course Mowbray will say it will take time. He inherited a squad about to be relegated. It would be incredibly naive of him to be coming out saying we could get promoted this year. I am sure Mowbray has those attributes and belief, I just don't understand how you think him coming out saying we could get promoted this season would be a good idea. 

I didn't say that.

As a supporter, I don't want a manager telling me it will take several transfer windows to mount a promotion push.

This is a manager who has just spent £10million+ in the last window and in the main, I think we play shyte football and I can see little evidence of a playing structure / philosophy emerging.  I think we are light years away from mounting a promotion push.  In my book, Mowbray flatters to deceive.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

When the news first broke, the general consensus from them was ‘Where’s the rest of it?’. If you don’t believe me search back on twitter to when the news broke, or I can find you some examples if you don’t fancy it.

We cacked ourselves at Brighton giving us £4million for Duffy.

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As a supporter, I don't want a manager telling me it will take several transfer windows to mount a promotion push

Bloomin' right. Mowbray;s statement that he wanted to "give the players who won promotion their chance" is hogwash.  A good manager would identify where the team needs to strengthen and act quickly. His failure to do so has led to us wallowing in mid table and led to the added risk that our best player could leave sooner rather than later because we're not competitive in this division.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Duffy was raw when he came to us but improved immeasurably by the time he left. He;s now an established PL defender and that £4m looks poor very poor business for Rovers now. 

• Like 3

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Duffy was raw when he came to us but improved immeasurably by the time he left. He;s now an established PL defender and that £4m looks poor very poor business for Rovers now. 

My point exactly. 

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

When the news first broke, the general consensus from them was ‘Where’s the rest of it?’. If you don’t believe me search back on twitter to when the news broke, or I can find you some examples if you don’t fancy it.

I don't do twitter.

I so want Brereton to be a success and would totally 'get' the investment of £7million in a true gem. In cameos, you'd see ability: something. What has anybody seen?

Yep, Duffy was raw when he joined us but there was evidence there was a footballer there and he cost a mere few hundred grand!!!

As for Brereton, I really, really struggle to see what on earth possessed Mowbray to commit Rovers to a £10million+ plus deal.  And if anyone mentions England U19/20, just remember Jason Lowe skippered that lot!!!

19 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

That probably had something to do with scoring 3 own goals in 2 games and showing an attitude to match that of Leon Best. Duffy showed that he had potential during his time here but his attitude during his final few weeks was nothing short of a disgrace. And he still isn't anywhere near as him or his old man (there was another problem with Duffy) thought he was.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I didn't say that.

As a supporter, I don't want a manager telling me it will take several transfer windows to mount a promotion push.

This is a manager who has just spent £10million+ in the last window and in the main, I think we play shyte football and I can see little evidence of a playing structure / philosophy emerging.  I think we are light years away from mounting a promotion push.  In my book, Mowbray flatters to deceive.

I would prefer a realistic manager than one making false promises.

Your posts are contradictory, you acknowledge we aren't ready for a promotion push, but then say you don't want a manger to tell you it will take a few windows to mount a promotion push. So if we aren't ready, isn't he correct in saying it will take a few windows?? 

We don't always play shyte football. We have played very well in some games. Apart from the Wigan and Preston games, we have competed really well all season. 

• Like 4