BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Unless there's a bidding war between several clubs, Sunderland are living in dreamland there. Maja's contract expires in summer, and he doesn't want to stay. Totally different ball game if the player is tied into a longer contract and isn't looking to leave. ? At least we'll get a fair few bob for ours if he goes.

I know, but people expect proven championship strikers for £7million (which could be as low as half of that nobody knows). Maupay at Brentford is priced at £15million up front, Abraham is on 55k a week at villa, Pukki is a free and a fantastic signing, the moans on here would’ve been amazing to see if we’d have signed him in summer. 

The money COULD have been spent better in the short term, but in the long term we just don’t know and I’m backing him to succeed here.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Could name me one that cost £7 million that's warming the bench ?

That’s another no I take it? And like i said Sunderland want £8million for someone not even in the league.

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I know, but people expect proven championship strikers for £7million (which could be as low as half of that nobody knows). Maupay at Brentford is priced at £15million up front, Abraham is on 55k a week at villa, Pukki is a free and a fantastic signing, the moans on here would’ve been amazing to see if we’d have signed him in summer. 

The money COULD have been spent better in the short term, but in the long term we just don’t know and I’m backing him to succeed here.

Simple question, what do you see when he makes it out onto the pitch ?

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Simple question, what do you see when he makes it out onto the pitch ?

I’ve actually answered this on the last page, but just for your benefit: 

“A young striker being played out wide for 8 minutes and/or having the ball thumped up somewhere in his general direction as everyone else on the team is a good 50 yards from him. Thought he looked far far better starting up front at Sheffield United and it forced us to play along the floor. 

Against the grain somewhat, our collapse came after he went off and we went back to route one, instead of the usual stuff spouted about him being the reason behind our late collapses which is laughable.”

7 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

So wait, are we signing Brereton and Armstrong? ???

Because that's all I've just read about for 17 pages.... front and back! 

Technically was signed this window ? but in all seriousness I saw Gallagher and Judan Ali at Ewood maccies before.

One of the main reasons we end up inviting so much pressure late on is when Graham goes off and there is no similar replacement so we end up with Dack up front. This is all down to the manager and it's hard to fathom just what he's doing with BB but it ends up with him getting flack which mostly isn't his fault.

Poor handling of it really to be honest as in his seeming eagerness to protect him he is in fact opening him up to stick but if Brereton went up front and put a shift in he might just might not get so much flak !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

In 300 minutes?! Have a word with yourself.  

Could you name another 19 year old striker currently doing better than him in the championship? 

Jack Clarke at Leeds only 18.

Marcus Tavernier at Boro more of a winger but then Brereton has been more of a wide man for us when he has played.

28 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’ll take that as a no then. Any strikers you’d rather have signed for that money?

EDIT: Sunderland want £8million for Maja who has had half a season in league 1.

What they want and what they get are two very different thing particularly as he is out of contract in the Summer.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

One of the main reasons we end up inviting so much pressure late on is when Graham goes off and there is no similar replacement so we end up with Dack up front. This is all down to the manager and it's hard to fathom just what he's doing with BB but it ends up with him getting flack which mostly isn't his fault.

Poor handling of it really to be honest and if Brereton went up front and put a shift in he might just might not get so much flak !

As seen at Leeds it doesn’t seem to matter who’s up front last 10 mins of a game, we defend so deep we invite so much pressure on ourselves it’s unbelievable and we just can’t get out. 

Like my high school teacher said all those years ago, ‘if we leave 3 up, they’ve got to leave 4 back’. Something we were dreadful at last year as well, before Brereton was signed.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Marcus Tavernier at Boro more of a winger but then Brereton has been more of a wide man for us when he has played.

Jack Clark is worth a fair bit more than 7million with Pep sniffing around. Also very hard to judge him whilst he being coached by the genius that is Marcelo Bielsa. Maybe that’s where we went wrong and we should’ve broke the bank to get Bielsa?

Tavernier would also command a similar fee to Brereton and were academy products. Brereton, by the way, got more goals than both those 2 have combined currently last season.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

What they want and what they get are two very different thing particularly as he is out of contract in the Summer.

Simply stating what they value him.

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Jack Clark is worth a fair bit more than 7million with Pep sniffing around.

Tavernier would also command a similar fee to Brereton and were academy products. Brereton, by the way, got more goals than both those 2 have combined currently last season.

Ah so now you are moving the goal posts. You asked 'Could you name another 19 year old striker currently doing better than him in the championship?'   You said nothing about last season or about what their value was. You wanted the name of a 19 year old currently doing better than Brereton and I have given you two.

Edited by Ewood Ace

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Ah so now you are moving the goal posts. You asked 'Could you name another 19 year old striker currently doing better than him in the championship?'   You said nothing about last season or about what their value was. You wanted the name of a 19 year old currently doing better than Brereton and I have given you two.

Neither of those are strikers. If you’re being pedantic. And both are playing in their actual positions. Weird players seem to perform... better? when in their actual positions?

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

As seen at Leeds it doesn’t seem to matter who’s up front last 10 mins of a game, we defend so deep we invite so much pressure on ourselves it’s unbelievable and we just can’t get out. 

Like my high school teacher said all those years ago, ‘if we leave 3 up, they’ve got to leave 4 back’. Something we were dreadful at last year as well, before Brereton was signed.

That's something I don't get either and it seems ingrained into them but like the other week i'd like to see two banks of four with the two up top defending from the front. Surely that's a good way to get something out of Brereton and Armstrong later in games. Its taken a while for Mowbray to go that route but I hope he sticks to it now we just look more solid.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's something I don't get either and it seems ingrained into them but like the other week i'd like to see two banks of four with the two up top defending from the front. Surely that's a good way to get something out of Brereton and Armstrong later in games. Its taken a while for Mowbray to go that route but I hope he sticks to it now we just look more solid.

Brereton and Armstrong up front together is something I hope we don't have to see for a long time. Both lazy and both very weak, it would be a centre backs dream to be up against those two.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

100% agree and the way i think we’ll eventually line up when DG is no longer at this level.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Neither of those are strikers. If you’re being pedantic. And both are playing in their actual positions.

Clarke played most his youth team football as a striker but as Mowbray is doing with Brereton he is being nurtured into the team from out wide as he like Brereton would lack the physicality to play through the middle. The only difference is Clarke has shown a lot more than Brereton so far this season. 

27 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The words “Brereton” and “Wide man” should never be used in the same sentence..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Really?

I form my opinions on both what I see and what I have seen.

I have seen managers at Rovers right through the good, the bad and the ugly spectrum and in my opinion, Mowbray gets away with, metaphorically, football management murder.  As I posted earlier, given the trials and tribulations of the Rao era, I think there are too many fans quite willing to bask in a sea of calmness and mediocrity which is what I think Mowbray offers.

On the other side of the coin could you not appreciate the fact that Mowbray is arguably the best manager we've had in the chaos that is Rao era? 

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Clarke played most his youth team football as a striker but as Mowbray is doing with Brereton he is being nurtured into the team from out wide as he like Brereton would lack the physicality to play through the middle. The only difference is Clarke has shown a lot more than Brereton so far this season. 

One more goal contribution, and if Brereton’s against Preston, which was fine, stood, then they’d be level. Not bad eh.

16 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

One more goal contribution, and if Brereton’s against Preston, which was fine, stood, then they’d be level. Not bad eh.

I think your maths is a little awry there. Brereton has 1 assist and no goals. Clarke has one assist and two goals. 

Anyway I'm just pleased that I could help you out and provide you with an answer to your query as to  another 19 year old striker currently doing better than Brereton in the championship.

Edited by Ewood Ace