BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Evening with Tony Mowbray

50 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Just checked - our left side was Williams at LB and Feeney LM...draw your own conclusions!

Shame Mogga didn’t take that into account before throwing the cheque book at Forest.

No wonder Brezza looks awesome in training but can’t do it on match days!

43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Seems your theory about BB not being a Mowbray signing but a project from Balaji has proven to be incorrect. What's worse is that Mowbray saw him have one good game and spent £7m on him. 

Not necessarily. I still think the owners set different financial parameters for the amount of funds available based on possible future paybacks: young English players who do well do generate much bigger sale fees down the line than grizzled foreigners.

Context is everything on the one game scout. If that’s the first tine anyone watched him it does sound reckless. If he goes to give the final yes/no after multiple scoutings and strong recos by his team then not so much.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

May I ask how you are in a position to judge his performance levels this season.

He is already a very good Championship player in our team. Hes the key to any top 6 push and he will be incredibly difficult to replace. Id take Dack over 15 million in Mowbrays hands any day. Very rarely does that scenario work as well as youd like it to.

I have family who are ST holders who call it as it is and I enjoy watching Rovers when the chance arises. Your squad is lacking quality/depth imo so the obvious option is cash in and strengthen. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Not necessarily. I still think the owners set different financial parameters for the amount of funds available based on possible future paybacks: young English players who do well do generate much bigger sale fees down the line than grizzled foreigners.

Context is everything on the one game scout. If that’s the first tine anyone watched him it does sound reckless. If he goes to give the final yes/no after multiple scoutings and strong recos by his team then not so much.

Eh? He's admitted it. There is no context. The 'financial parameters' are also irrelevant - Mowbray chose the player..

It's not the first time the 'He had a good game against one of my teams once so we signed him' line has been trotted out either. He even admitted that was one of his criteria when signing players for the L1 campaign. The weight of evidence is not on your side not matter how you try to spin it. 

Edited by blueboy3333

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Perhaps we are approaching the Lambert/Rhodes stage here. Minimal January activity, manager starts looking at cashing in on the star man to raise funds for multiple needed quality players to kick on next season. 

I'm afraid we then get to the problem which is Venkys agreeing to reinvest the money into the squad. Seems Mowbray has more faith in them than I do on that one.

This is where it will go imo they'll hang around banking on big money for him to solve a few issues i'.e keep the bank happy, keep the owners happy and their 'pals' and maybe rustle up a nice bit to play with on the team.

A method we had under the later days of the trust and how a few clubs work so nothing wrong with it per se but that method doesn't apply well to this particular ownership model.  I'm sure TM could do some good with it as would Bowyer probably have but as we saw with Lambert he was promised the earth then basically just got Rhodes wages to re-invest in a couple of loans. Then it was the major starting pistol for all the decent ones leaving.

Dangerous territory when it comes to Venkys and their backers and partners he'd be better using that as an example and demanding he stay unless there's a bank busting bid (can't see it BD has flaws & people know it) and insisting we spend and add quality to chase the top 6.

But then he's putting his head in the noose so I think he'll be toeing the line.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

i was at that game and I honestly don't remember Brereton standing out. As I recall Forest were poor on the day and we scraped a 1-0 win.

I don't doubt that for a minute.  Definitely must be the game he referred to though as he said we won 1-0.  Pretty certain he may have also let slip he hadn't been scouted but I may have miss-heard.  

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

A guy reeling off stuff he's got wrong and admitting he spent millions on a bloke who once played well against his team is not someone I'd class as being one of the best managers we've had. It's a shame posters like you are so easily taken in by a nice bloke who talks a lot. 

Hey don’t feel a shame for me,what manager would you like, realistically, we’re are not Liverpool, City, United etc, we’re Rovers just trying to get back to where we were, not easy as a lot of big clubs have found out, Leeds,Sheffield clubs etc.

Luckily the-owners  seem to like what he’s doing and that he is hopefully the guy to push on next season, think most fans agree but there are a few who don’t and never will support him, like you,your choice.

Just now, unsall said:

Luckily the-owners  seem to like what he’s doing and that he is hopefully the guy to push on next season, think most fans agree but there are a few who don’t and never will support him, like you,your choice.

Thanks for allowing me an opinion. You finally became an adult.

My lack of support is what I see on the pitch and the justifications he comes out with - like at last nights event. I don't rate him and I can back up why.  As far as I can see you're using the owner's support to back your arguments, which is  is never going to be a strong position to take considering they employed  Coyle and Kean.

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good that he has recongised that the current squad needs improving and willing to be ruthless to make the changes needed. 

did he say how many signings he wanted in the summer overall? 

Good that he talked about Brereton and it was his signing and not from someone else as been mention on here. 

Didn't Mowbray signed Jonas Olsson for WBA when he was there? 

Good that he talked about the type of players he wants and the age he looking at. 

Can you say more about the forward? is this to replace Graham long term?

do you think Mowbray will change his coaching staff? cant see Venus going anywhere and I think that right. 

was the Oldham away game when we lost 4 games in the 1st 11 games of the season? 

surely we would be looking at top tier in Belgium and Holland? 

did anyone ask about how many scouts we have and possible adding scouts with Europe experience or from Europe? 

on Dack, I don't see teams paying 15 to 20 millions for him myself. 

can you explain your view on why Dack would have to go for 15 mil? 

Any chance @Wing Wizard Windy Miller and @Mercer could answer these please? Thanks in advance guys ?

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The grounds for scouting Brereton sound similar to players in the past, I think Dack and Gladwin were also mentioned as players signed on the back of a good performance against his team. A very dangerous policy.

Hopefully that Dack scenario doesnt happen. Dack will be almost impossible to replace and id much rather have Dack than 15m in Mowbrays hands.

Yet were you not the one saying those who watch players live know/see more than those who watch on tv? 

5 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

He's talking about frequency of viewing not angle of view.

How do you know what he is talking about? 

I am sure he watched clips as well as seeing him live before spending the money. But of course because Mowbray said BB played well against his team the narrative on here has now become "Mowbray signed him after he played well against his team once".

One of the most conservative managers tactically, personnel wise and transfer wise just went against everything we know of him and splashed 7 million on someone he saw play once. It doesn't really add up 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

49 minutes ago, unsall said:

Hey don’t feel a shame for me,what manager would you like, realistically, we’re are not Liverpool, City, United etc, we’re Rovers just trying to get back to where we were, not easy as a lot of big clubs have found out, Leeds,Sheffield clubs etc.

Couldn't agree more.  I think we are very fortunate to have Mowbray as manager at this point in our history.  He's not perfect - no manager is.  He will make mistakes - every manager does.  However, for a club in our position I believe he is a perfect fit.  We need this type of manager who can oversee the whole operation and put the building blocks in place to restore the foundations which we need.  

As you say, it won't be easy, because of the size of the budgets of some of the clubs in the Championship - you only have to look at the income of the relegated clubs to see how much at a disadvantage we are.  We can't live in the past.  We are where we are and the only way we will get back to the top flight - and I remember the quarter of a century it took to get back after the 65-66 relegation - is by shrewd management, patience and a little bit of luck.    

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How do you know what he is talking about? 

I am sure he watched clips as well as seeing him live before spending the money. But of course because Mowbray said BB played well against his team the narrative on here has now become "Mowbray signed him after he played well against his team once".

One of the most conservative managers tactically, personnel wise and transfer wise just went against everything we know of him and splashed 7 million on someone he saw play once. It doesn't really add up 

Because I read his post!

2 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Not sure you have the kind of money you need to bridge the gap from lower mid table to top 6 without selling him.

Well if we sell him we will have to replace him as well, so we would be even further from the top 6. He has an x-factor that is practically impossible to replace. 

It's not all about money. Bristol city, Sheffield united and Norwich haven't spent obscene amounts of money and they are the 3 best teams I have seen us play this season. The you have the likes of Nottingham forest  and Villa who have spent lots and are no better off than us.

4 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

As you say, it won't be easy, because of the size of the budgets of some of the clubs in the Championship - you only have to look at the income of the relegated clubs to see how much at a disadvantage we are. 

We've just spent £7m on a 19 year old who we only watched once at most. He isn't even good enough to get in the team. Think about that before you judge him on the size of his budget. Mowbray also said he didn't spend all the available budget because he didn't want to. Most of the clubs around us would love to have that luxury. We were 4th or 5th in the league on net spend in the summer. 

Mowbray failed to strengthen when he should have, and when he had the money too. He said it was because he 'liked the group' and he wanted to stay loyal.  Nonsense. He works for BRFC, his job is to do the best for the club not for his pals in the squad. There are no guarantees he will get the chance to spend in the summer if Venky's do a predictable volte-face. Mowbray's complacency is staggering. He's being paid a lot of money to run a professional football club and he's acting like he's running a Sunday League team. 

The defence is fine > The defence is shit

We've no foreign scouts > We're targeting foreign players in the summer

Every time he opens his mouth there is a contradiction. 

I've no doubt he's a lovely man and is conscientious, but that isn't a reason to pay him a lot of money. I've seen little in the way of progression in the way we play in the two years he's been here. We still have the same failings, and if anything the defence is getting worse and the attack no better. I think his recruitment is lazy and amateurish.

• Like 3

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We've just spent £7m on a 19 year old who we only watched once at most. He isn't even good enough to get in the team. Think about that before you judge him on the size of his budget. Mowbray also said he didn't spend all the available budget because he didn't want to. Most of the clubs around us would love to have that luxury. We were 4th or 5th in the league on net spend in the summer. 

Mowbray failed to strengthen when he should have, and when he had the money too. He said it was because he 'liked the group' and he wanted to stay loyal.  Nonsense. He works for BRFC, his job is to do the best for the club not for his pals in the squad. There are no guarantees he will get the chance to spend in the summer if Venky's do a predictable volte-face. Mowbray's complacency is staggering. He's being paid a lot of money to run a professional football club and he's acting like he's running a Sunday League team. 

The defence is fine > The defence is shit

We've no foreign scouts > We're targeting foreign players in the summer

Every time he opens his mouth there is a contradiction. 

I've no doubt he's a lovely man and is conscientious, but that isn't a reason to pay him a lot of money. I've seen little in the way of progression in the way we play in the two years he's been here. We still have the same failings, and if anything the defence is getting worse and the attack no better. I think his recruitment is lazy and amateurish.

That's fair enough blueboy.  That's your view.  Others, like myself, view him differently and believe he has been very good for this club.  Fortunately, at the moment it would appear he has the full support of the owners so the next couple of transfer windows will see if he can build on the work he has already done.  I think the majority of supporters are behind him because they believe he is building the club on the right lines.