BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A good leader kicked everybody including some team mates.

Dont make many like him these days.

Edit: completely forgot that he was with us for a short spell 

Just now, bob fleming said:

ex Rovers player.

Who could we go for this summer? We are going to need some grizzly veterans as the big fish in League 1 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who could we go for this summer? We are going to need some grizzly veterans as the big fish in League 1 

Well if Paul Senior knows him then I dare say we might go for Andy Morrison again.

Sorry, I shouldn't BDS. It would never happen, Morrison is of course well past his sell by date, he can barely move these days I'd wager. No way would we sign a centre half like that.

Edited by bob fleming
  • Like 5

My thoughts exactly. Someone like Morrison who could play a bit but would protect youth players just by his presence.

Another Moran or a Keeley is needed.

Just now, bob fleming said:

Well if Paul Senior knows him then I dare say we might go for Andy Morrison again.

Sorry, I shouldn't BDS. It would never happen, Morrison is of course well past his sell by date, he can barely move these days I'd wager. No way would we sign a centre half like that.

As someone posted earlier we can always wheel out Brown

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A good moment to remember that the bottom 4 in the Third Division are all automatically relegated.

I also suspect that our better U23s have a good chance of being sold.

You need at least a couple of 'hard men' in L1 or youth would be kicked off the pitch. They still allow tackles in the lower leagues.

In fantasy land it might be a romantic prospect but in reality it's horrific and will send us straight through the other end of that division. There is no old school Crewe Alexandra Dario Gradi story going to unfold here i'm afraid.

Just now, tomphil said:

In fantasy land it might be a romantic prospect but in reality it's horrific and will send us straight through the other end of that division. There is no old school Crewe Alexandra Dario Gradi story going to unfold here i'm afraid.

Going off the stories coming out about Crewe over the past few months, I would not want any links to them to be honest. The only stories coming out of there are about cover ups. 

Just now, tomphil said:

Yes that's my view too. Too much youth in L1 is suicide.

• Like 1

In League One, as in virtually every professional football league, you need a core of tried, tested quality players to rely on through the season.

Even in recent times, under Gary Bowyer, a man who knew the youth scene better than anyone and who had spent years working with the kids at Rovers, we saw this to be the case. Bowyer understood that attempting to throw youngsters into the squad en masse would end in disaster both for the club and the players and we therefore saw a 'safety first' approach with him relying predominantly on experienced players throughout his time here.

I've no doubt that the fantasy world that Venkys live in they foresee a squad assembled directly from the Under 23s. Not because they have any idea about the abilities of the players, but because it is a cheap alternative to recruiting experienced players.

Once relegation is confirmed in the coming weeks the first thing those in power at the club ought to do is attempt to copy the recently successful League One clubs. Look at what Bolton, Wolves and Wigan all did when they dropped out of this league and then bounced back immediately. I'm almost certain, unless someone can show me otherwise, that none of those clubs cleared the decks and turned to their under 21 squad for promotion. We probably will because the people running this club have no intention or ambition to get promoted next season and are prioritising cost cutting and individual player values over on the pitch success and results on the pitch.

Just to confirm, I have absolutely no problem with a club keen to develop youngsters and see them make the step up to the first team as and when the coaches deem them ready. I have seen the Under 21s/23s numerous times this season and I very much enjoy watching them and hope to see as many as possible feature for the first team in the future. But this process has to be gradually managed with a solid experienced squad of 20+ pros in place under contract and 3-4 youngsters adding to that, not the other way around.

Edited by JHRover

In Browns defense we signed him as a player coach. He would be nowhere near starting if it wasn't for the injuries to Mulgrew, Lenihan and Greer. In fact I am not sure why Mowbray didn't start Ward ahead of him against Barnsley. 

How many skint clubs sign player coaches on 8k pwk ?

If you remember back the coaching thing only came out after he'd been here ages but was nowhere near getting fit. They signed him as a player and tried to get him fit but when it wasn't happening and it was under scrutiny Coyle came out with he's helping the coaches with the kids.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

If you remember back the coaching thing only came out after he'd been here ages but was nowhere near getting fit. They signed him as a player and tried to get him fit but when it wasn't happening and it was under scrutiny Coyle came out with he's helping the coaches with the kids.

How do you know he is on €8000 per week?

Ya, that may be the case. Terrible signing from an on the field standpoint. Him and Greer to replace Duffy and Hanley. We then end up with 2 midfielders playing center half in Lenihan and Mulgrew. Incredible stuff when you think about it. 

It looked to me like Coyles original plan might have been Lowe, Brown, Greer, Mulgrew across the back but for various reasons it never panned out. The lack of getting Brown fit meant Hoban came in .Shocking really and I refuse to believe Wharton or Ward wouldn't have been better back up this season.

Just now, tomphil said:

He was ages on trial trying to get fit even before they announced his signing as a player. An odd one for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Athlete said:

Back on the TM track two wins in ten  isn't a good return 

Indeed. He's inherited a shambles and a squad with a much talent as a soggy cornflake (all loanees included) but he's showing the kind of return that set Coventry on the road to division 4

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Indeed. He's inherited a shambles and a squad with a much talent as a soggy cornflake (all loanees included) but he's showing the kind of return that set Coventry on the road to division 4

He left Coventry after the better players were sold and replaced by cheap options  loans and kids.. 

Doesn't look like he's done his own homework properly  on the car crash that is BRFC 

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just the sort of player we need, fat, useless with a multiple personality disorder and a massive chip on his shoulders.

Maybe he should sign up for brfcs

A bit of character just what this bunch of snowflakes needs amongst them.

Just now, tomphil said:

A bit of character just what this bunch of snowflakes needs amongst them.

Nobody needs a grass tomphil, someone who's got more personalities than Andy Kaufman and thinks speaking under different guises supports his arguments and dupes the mods.

As for Morrison, cr@p footballer, give me Killer Keeley any day of the week :D

Just now, Gav said:

Nobody needs a grass tomphil, someone who's got more personalities than Andy Kaufman and thinks speaking under different guises supports his arguments and dupes the mods.

As for Morrison, cr@p footballer, give me Killer Keeley any day of the week :D

I'm a bit lost with that I haven't been following this evenings shenanigans. Never mind :lol:

Yeah Keeley, Reid, Todd anybody !! Johan Vogel would look hard amongst this lot now .