BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, Gav said:

Nobody needs a grass tomphil, someone who's got more personalities than Andy Kaufman and thinks speaking under different guises supports his arguments and dupes the mods.

The above paranoia is a real worry. I'm always here for a cyber-hug if you need one.

Perhaps we could do an Andy Kaufman-style wrestling match for charity?

Anyway, whatever, it's always great to catch up. 

PM me in future if you want to continue with your passive-aggressive little provocations. The site owner I believe has requested as much.

Your friends

Me and Blueboy3333 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The above paranoia is a real worry. I'm always here for a cyber-hug if you need one.

Perhaps we could do an Andy Kaufman-style wrestling match for charity?

Anyway, whatever, it's always great to catch up. 

PM me in future if you want to continue with your passive-aggressive little provocations. The site owner I believe has requested as much.

Your friends

Me and Blueboy3333 

What makes you think I'm taking about you? :lol:

You're ignored by most posters, I've only seen you because of the quote :lol:

Anyway back on topic, keep the manger at all costs, good sort, the odds are against him, but a man of principles, just what we need.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

What makes you think I'm taking about you? :lol:

You're ignored by most posters, I've only seen you because of the quote :lol:

Anyway back on topic, keep the manger at all costs, good sort, the odds are against him, but a man of principles, just what we need.

Oh dear. Night night my little brave soldier. 

Edited by blueboy3333

In modern football, (& especially with clubs who have little money to spend, I believe 'young & hungry' is the formula for success.

Apart from the obvious, (the owners), one of the main reasons we're about to go through another trapdoor is our abundance of washed up players topping up their pension pots.

Look at the Barnsley team last Saturday. Hardly any recognisable names, had to sell key players this season,  & yet full of youth and energy.

There still has to be a balance with experience, and it's unrealistic to expect the youth system to produce every player in the team.

I would also extend the 'young and hungry' ethos as far as the manager goes, particularly if, as expected, we get relegated.

What is the logic of keeping a guy who left his previous club having failed to win any of the first eleven games in that division last season, (which made him another bizarre appointment in my book).

League One would be the right setting to hire a young, hungry manager and allow him time to build a young team.

Whilst I'm generally not a fan of bringing back ex players, I think Matt Jansen would be a good shout, having had relative success at Chorley.

Damien Johnson also a reasonable shout.

I wouldn't appoint Dunn as , in my opinion, he clearly lacks the nouse to be a manager.

Only got the First Team Coach gig ahead of Johnson because of his name I think.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think on reflection it may be time for another change. We need somebody who's used to winning not somebody who's used to losing.

Wegner can cancel his plan to come to Ewood then.

Not easy to find any manager who's available and used to winning and who would be willing to risk his career.

And come dirt cheap.

A bit of a pipe dream sadly.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Wegner can cancel his plan to come to Ewood then.

Not easy to find any manager who's available and used to winning and who would be willing to risk his career.

And come dirt cheap.

A bit of a pipe dream sadly.

That's just rubbish. There are plenty in the lower leagues that are used to winning and would be cheap. Off the top of my head, the brothers at Lincoln. They would jump at the chance of managing Rovers and would be very cheap.

Just now, RV Blue said:

That's just rubbish. There are plenty in the lower leagues that are used to winning and would be cheap. Off the top of my head, the brothers at Lincoln. They would jump at the chance of managing Rovers and would be very cheap.

Fair comment. I did not factor in going for lower league. We will see sooner or later.

However I'm not convinced that Rovers are the attraction we suppose anymore. Well not to anyone doing proper due diligence.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Fair comment. I did not factor in going for lower league. We will see sooner or later.

However I'm not convinced that Rovers are the attraction we suppose anymore. Well not to anyone doing proper due diligence.

Lower league is the market we are in. Some of these successful  managers must have the potential to operate at a higher level.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lower league is the market we are in. Some of these successful  managers must have the potential to operate at a higher level.

This season with 2 managers supposedly experienced with life in the Championship we look odds on to go down bar a massive upsurge in our fortunes.

If we are relegated and Mowbray goes I do not want Rovers taking on any manager who has not had at least L1 experience and some success. When we have been a training camp for wannabe managers it has not worked.

However I would expect Rovers management to screw it up.

I will start next season hoping to avoid another relegation. How sad is that ..... but that is who we now are.

1 hour ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I'm still laughing at the notion that some think we will be seen as big fish in league 1, we will struggle to get better crowds than Chesterfield.

Despite what these muppets are doing to us we will be a big fish. The fact we've spent all but a few years of our 130 year presence in the League above it sees to that.

Who will be a bigger club than us? Arguably Bradford/Portsmouth on the basis of larger fanbases but they don't have anywhere near our pedigree, trophies or facilities.

Bolton have been a 'big club' this season down there and we will be the same. The question is can we use that to our advantage or will we waste it? Coventry have wasted it and are suffering because of it, and I'd bet everything I own that if these people stay here long enough we'll follow them into the 4th tier eventually.

Whatever gates we end up getting will be more to do with their 7 years+ of horrific mismanagement than a reflection of club size.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

On the face of it we are an attractive proposition, but scratch beneath the surface and you very quickly find this is a club in terminal decline with no hope in sight as long as the current owners remain. It's been said before, but at this point changing managers is akin to rearranging the proverbial deck chairs on the titanic. We're sinking fast and will continue to sink no matter who is in charge, because the overall structure of the club is designed for nothing but failure. You can only roll a boulder up an increasingly steep hill for so long. We're at the point where that boulder is about to roll backwards and crush everything in sight.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This season with 2 managers supposedly experienced with life in the Championship we look odds on to go down bar a massive upsurge in our fortunes.

If we are relegated and Mowbray goes I do not want Rovers taking on any manager who has not had at least L1 experience and some success. When we have been a training camp for wannabe managers it has not worked.

However I would expect Rovers management to screw it up.

I will start next season hoping to avoid another relegation. How sad is that ..... but that is who we now are.

We'll mess it up. Again.

My prediction is that they will stick with Mowbray. I'm not opposed to that providing they do it properly. That starts with allowing him to assemble his own backroom staff rather than have to work with existing staff. If they aren't going to allow him to change his coaches then it won't end well.

Then they need to allow him to overhaul the squad in the summer. That means being able to sign players from the word go, being able to spend some money, and being given a fair crack of the whip. I don't expect any of those things will happen either, and that's before we get on to the Paul Senior issue and what role he will play in transfer policy.

In the event Mowbray walks, which wouldn't surprise me if he's messed around like his predecessors, then of course the people we should look at are the likes of Rosler from Fleetwood or Darrell Clarke from Bristol Rovers. Young, hungry, proven in Lge 1. Having a past association with the club ought to be last on the list of criteria. Unfortunately I expect either a promotion for Dunn or someone like Neil Redfearn to pitch up.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Whatever gates we end up getting will be more to do with their 7 years+ of horrific mismanagement than a reflection of club size.

Of course it is, but 'true club size' is just an abstract concept and doesn't provide an income.

We will end up on Chesterfield sized gates, however a quick glance at their ST prices (up to £500) says we will actually be bringing in less revenue, with a gargantuan debt on top.

Total mess.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

You can only roll a boulder up an increasingly steep hill for so long. We're at the point where that boulder is about to roll backwards and crush everything in sight.

That is perhaps the clearest and most apposite analogy that I have seen so far, for the peril the club is facing.  We think the ride has been scary this far, but just imagine the sound that the boulder will make as it rolls inevitably towards and over us. In the movies, of course, there would be a superhero waiting in the wings, Indiana Jones-like. We have Mike (No nads) Cheston, and Paul (look how big my cock is) Senior.

Doomed.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Of course it is, but 'true club size' is just an abstract concept and doesn't provide an income.

We will end up on Chesterfield sized gates, however a quick glance at their ST prices (up to £500) says we will actually be bringing in less revenue, with a gargantuan debt on top.

Total mess.

Yes, but how much of that is due to the 'size' of the club and how much is to do with the last 7 years?

Whilst it might not provide an income what it should do is make it easier to attract players who want to represent such a famous club and managers who want to resurrect it. Of course its hypothetical at this point because the people running Rovers will waste whatever advantage it brings and continue to recruit poorly, but in the event we have a future after Venkys are gone the name Blackburn Rovers and Ewood Park should set us apart from most clubs down there and put us in a decent position to rebuild.

I notice that Bolton's crowds actually increased this season despite a lower level of football. Likewise Preston's gates around the 10,000 mark in the 3rd tier and Wigan almost 10,000. All clubs that would these days be considered 'big' for that League on the basis of standing in the game, stadium and achievements.

All of it is down to the last 7 years. And of course Blackburn Rovers are more of a name than Chesterbloodyfield, however I'm looking at it purely on income. 

Though we do contiue to pay big wages, so though we probably have a similar income to Barnsley, I would bet our wage bill is far higher- so in that sense we will perhaps be 'a draw' to players.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

All of it is down to the last 7 years. And of course Blackburn Rovers are more of a name than Chesterbloodyfield, however I'm looking at it purely on income. 

Though we do contiue to pay big wages, so though we probably have a similar income to Barnsley, I would bet our wage bill is far higher- so in that sense we will perhaps be 'a draw' to players.

Ultimately my belief is that as long as Venkys remain in control money is irrelevant.

It doesn't matter whether we have the same income as Accy Stanley or the same income as Newcastle.

Whatever money is made available will be squandered, and regardless of how big the wage bill is or whether they allow cash for players, the structure is so flawed that we will fail. This will remain the case in the Premier League or League Two.

I'm trying to look at things from the hypothetical angle of 'IF' Venkys left or 'IF' they suddenly decided to act differently, neither appear to be likely any time soon. But 'IF' they did, then this club ought to naturally be a big club in League One.

5,000 a week or 15,000 a week I don't think success will ever come under these people and so discussion about club size or income is best applied to what happens if/when they leave.

• Like 2