BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

If Tony goes...

If Mowbray goes...  

199 members have voted

1. 1. If Tony leaves or gets sacked who would we want in to replace him.

• Damien Johnson
    • Chris Hughton
    • David Moyes
    • Alan Pardew
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Chris Coleman
    • Gary Rowett
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Neil Harris
    • Martin O'Neill
    • Mark Hughes
    • None of the above

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Another striker!!! FFS

We need defenders and keepers not forward players. Forget Rhodes. We dont need him. 

Not convince Hughes or Tugay are the answer tbh..feel good factor cant get you top 6 Stuart. Hughes without Bowen I wouldnt be in favour off. 

Strikers - see my other post.

Nobody is getting us top 6 this season. Now it’s about staying up. After yesterday I really fear for Championship status.

However, again I disagree, feelgood factor absolutely can bring success. Look at Blackpool under Hollowhead. Look at Leicester under Ranieri. Look at Liverpool under Klopp. Rovers under Kenny, Souness, Hughes. Get the right, credible manager and it can take you places.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Strikers - see my other post.

Nobody is getting us top 6 this season. Now it’s about staying up. After yesterday I really fear for Championship status.

However, again I disagree, feelgood factor absolutely can bring success. Look at Blackpool under Hollowhead. Look at Leicester under Ranieri. Look at Liverpool under Klopp. Rovers under Kenny, Souness, Hughes. Get the right, credible manager and it can take you places.

Seen your other post and replied. 

Disagree on nobody can get us top 6 this season. 

Like I said before Hughes is done with football imo. No comments or sightings on football shows of us since Southampton. 

Can he work without Bowen? Not for me. 

Options for me would be:- Damien Johnson, Gareth Ainsworth, Nigel Pearson, Nigel Adkins, Aitor Karanka, Lee Bowyer

Michael O'Neill would have a very good appointment for us but we were too slow and indecisive

Edited by chaddyrovers

Like I said before Hughes is done with football imo. No comments or sightings on football shows of us since Southampton. 

Options for me would be:- Damien Johnson, Gareth Ainsworth, Nigel Pearson, Nigel Adkins, Aitor Karanka, Lee Bowyer

We need 1.7 points per game from the remaining 29 games to get to 70 points. (Currently averaging 1.2 points). So we need an extra point every two games than we have so far. A 42% improvement after the first 17 games. Stop losing and get draws, while still getting the same number of wins. Or win more games.

Funny that our lack of strikers and defenders and low goals while not keeping clean sheets translates into points! It’s almost as though continuing to buy nothing but midfielders is the wrong thing to do!!

So let’s assume that a new manager comes in and with the same group of players gets that 1.7 points per game. (That’s consistent consecutive runs of WWDDL of WWWLL between now and the end of the season). Aye, I guess it’s possible. But it will get less and less so the longer he stays. We can’t afford to play like we did yesterday.

I have reservations about Hughes without his previous coaching set up as like Big Sam i think a lot of his success here was down to the whole 'team' off the pitch. Delegation to people who are following set plans and know what they are doing is massive in any management job.

However if he walked in here tomorrow on his own before a transfer window i'd have more faith in him sorting out the defence than i'll ever have in TM. And i'd like to think he could identify a proper keeper.

Problem is the way Rovers is run now with wanting to blood youth and be someones investment vehicle it all goes against the way Hughes works.  Like Souness he likes experienced and ready made players first and foremost, players he likes to source himself through his own little network.

Non of that will sit well with Venkys and their 'friends' i'm afraid so it's a non starter if we are being honest.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Michael O'Neill would have a very good appointment for us but we were too slow and indecisive

Interesting that you don't want Hughton or McCarthy due to their styles of play yet you would be keen on Karanka or O'Neill who both had similar approaches in their previous jobs at Middlesbrough and Northern Ireland.

Pearson is a head case who wouldnt work with Venkys. He would be gone quicker than Lambert.

For me it would have to be:

Hughton, Karanka, Carvalhal, Garcia, McCarthy (end of season), Stendel, Stam, Warnock. Plenty of options. All gettable.

• Like 1

Have to agree with chaddy on this one (did I just type that?), I think Hughes would struggle without the Tafia behind him. 

I'm going for Roberto Di Matteo as my left-field choice. Apart from that blip at Villa he did well at WBA, Chelsea and Schalke.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You seem to be a bit anti Hughes? 

For me he’s the outstanding candidate probably why Cardiff spoke to him twice over there job and he lined up Bellamy as assistant. Dalman then picked Harris. Tan wanted Hughes.

I see Andy Todd is also a coach these days ....

Javi Gracia second choice

Nenad Bjelica third choice

Edited by Scotland1

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Interesting that you don't want Hughton or McCarthy due to their styles of play yet you would be keen on Karanka or O'Neill who both had similar approaches in their previous jobs at Middlesbrough and Northern Ireland.

Pearson is a head case who wouldnt work with Venkys. He would be gone quicker than Lambert.

Hughton, Karanka, Carvalhal, Garcia, McCarthy (end of season), Stendel, Stam, Warnock. Plenty of options. All gettable.

im sure ive read that Stendel still under contract/paid (rather than compensation) as such with Barnsley ..if so we d have to cough up for that first if wanting his services.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

We need 1.7 points per game from the remaining 29 games to get to 70 points. (Currently averaging 1.2 points). So we need an extra point every two games than we have so far. A 42% improvement after the first 17 games. Stop losing and get draws, while still getting the same number of wins. Or win more games.

Funny that our lack of strikers and defenders and low goals while not keeping clean sheets translates into points! It’s almost as though continuing to buy nothing but midfielders is the wrong thing to do!!

So let’s assume that a new manager comes in and with the same group of players gets that 1.7 points per game. (That’s consistent consecutive runs of WWDDL of WWWLL between now and the end of the season). Aye, I guess it’s possible. But it will get less and less so the longer he stays. We can’t afford to play like we did yesterday.

very good points Stuart. Enjoyed really the analysis you done. 

I think we are only a couple of signings of being a side capable of challenging for the top 6 IMO

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Hughton being a no is for these reasons, he wants a PL job and turned down Stoke twice and Sheffield Wednesday, Also I think he does worst without his regular number 2 Colin Calderwood at the side of his. 

I don't see McCarthy leaving the Rep. of Ireland job for the Rovers one. 

At the minute playing style is less of a concern for me but getting back to basics and keeping clean sheets and simple formation that's suits our players. Which is 4-2-3-1 for me. 

Who is Garcia? 

Stendel is set of Hearts job I believe. 

No way would Warnock come here after last time. 

My choice is either Damien Johnson or Gareth Ainsworth. Then others I named before hand on the shortlist. I would like to move to Sporting Director/head coach structure but we wont so I'm not going to waste my time talking about it

39 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

You seem to be a bit anti Hughes? 

For me he’s the outstanding candidate probably why Cardiff spoke to him twice over there job and he lined up Bellamy as assistant. Dalman then picked Harris. Tan wanted Hughes.

I see Andy Todd is also a coach these days ....

Javi Gracia second choice

Nenad Bjelica third choice

I love Hughes time here at Rovers manager and its was great era for the club. 

But I think Hughes would struggle without Bowen as number 2. 

Javi Garcia and Nenad Bjelica who are more of head coaches than managers so you need to move to Director of football/head coach structure

Edited by chaddyrovers

very good points Stuart. Enjoyed really the analysis you done. 

I think we are only a couple of signings of being a side capable of challenging for the top 6 IMO

Hughton being a no is for these reasons, he wants a PL job and turned down Stoke twice and Sheffield Wednesday, Also I think he does worst without his regular number 2 Colin Calderwood at the side of his. 

I don't see McCarthy leaving the Rep. of Ireland job for the Rovers one. 

At the minute playing style is less of a concern for me but getting back to basics and keeping clean sheets and simple formation that's suits our players. Which is 4-2-3-1 for me. 

Who is Garcia? 

Stendel is set of Hearts job I believe. 

No way would Warnock come here after last time. 

My choice is either Damien Johnson or Gareth Ainsworth

I love Hughes time here at Rovers manager and its was great era for the club. 

But I think Hughes would struggle without Bowen as number 2. 

Javi Garcia and Nenad Bjelica who are more of head coaches than managers so you need to move to Director of football/head coach structure

No you previously said that Hughton performs worse without Calderwood as his assistant. I'm not sure what that is based on or even if it is correct given he got Brighton promoted and kept them in the Premier League two years running with Trollope as his assistant. 

I've already said style of play is irrelevant

Our performances this season under Mowbray have been some of the most dull, uninspiring, clueless displays I can remember in my life following Rovers. It is an insult to suggest we should exclude good managers from this club on the basis of style when we are performing as we are under a manager that claims to favour positive football.

So what if he turned down Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke? Stoke are and were well behind us in the table, Sheffield Wednesday are apparently about to get nailed with Ffp sanctions whereas we have, apparently, built a solid base and are Ffp compliant.

We should sell ourselves as a club to good.managers. Not sit back and expect managers to sell themselves to us.

If we had vision and foresight we would know that McCarthy's spell with Ireland ends at the latest in June following the Euros and possibly before then if they don't qualify. Even if Mowbray goes nowhere soon we should be making plans for a future without him and getting an agreement in place asap.

Garcia is Oscar Garcia. Ex Brighton and Watford. Available for an ambitious club.

Warnock would come if we made him a good enough offer and promised him freedom to get on with it. We won't offer him that though.

You seem keen on two people one of whom has never been a manager and the other who has spent 7 years at Wycombe Wanderers, mainly in League Two. 

No reason to think either could handle this job in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Another striker!!! FFS

We need defenders and keepers not forward players. Forget Rhodes. We dont need him. 

Not convince Hughes or Tugay are the answer tbh..feel good factor cant get you top 6 Stuart. Hughes without Bowen I wouldnt be in favour off. 

People at times focus far too much on our defensive inadequacies in that our attack isnt great either. We still certainly do need a striker as Gallagher, Brereton, Armstrong and Samuel are all shite!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Nobody is getting us top 6 this season. Now it’s about staying up. After yesterday I really fear for Championship status

Interestingly despite our poor performances we somehow have a 7 point gap on the relegation zone as the relegation scrap is playing our as expected. Stoke looking ok with a new manager but have a lot.of catching up to do, Millwall and Reading scraping points here and there but alongside a poor Barnsley Luton and Wigan are on poor runs. 

Next season can see as relegation favourites with TM in charge but this year we re very fortunate that 3 teams are in a massively worse shape than us. We're poor at both ends but still ragging points- Luton, Wigan and Barnsley are not. 

Next year without these three weak teams Rovers will be in even more difficulty as the league grows in competitiveness. Even now if one of the 3 teams.mentions turns it round we are in trouble. The positive is they don't look like they will. 

Just now, JHRover said:

No you previously said that Hughton performs worse without Calderwood as his assistant. I'm not sure what that is based on or even if it is correct given he got Brighton promoted and kept them in the Premier League two years running with Trollope as his assistant. 

I've already said style of play is irrelevant

Our performances this season under Mowbray have been some of the most dull, uninspiring, clueless displays I can remember in my life following Rovers. It is an insult to suggest we should exclude good managers from this club on the basis of style when we are performing as we are under a manager that claims to favour positive football.

So what if he turned down Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke? Stoke are and were well behind us in the table, Sheffield Wednesday are apparently about to get nailed with Ffp sanctions whereas we have, apparently, built a solid base and are Ffp compliant.

We should sell ourselves as a club to good.managers. Not sit back and expect managers to sell themselves to us.

If we had vision and foresight we would know that McCarthy's spell with Ireland ends at the latest in June following the Euros and possibly before then if they don't qualify. Even if Mowbray goes nowhere soon we should be making plans for a future without him and getting an agreement in place asap.

Garcia is Oscar Garcia. Ex Brighton and Watford. Available for an ambitious club.

Warnock would come if we made him a good enough offer and promised him freedom to get on with it. We won't offer him that though.

You seem keen on two people one of whom has never been a manager and the other who has spent 7 years at Wycombe Wanderers, mainly in League Two. 

No reason to think either could handle this job in the Championship.

Hughton coaching career entirely

Did I not just say that this to you in my previous reply "At the minute playing style is less of a concern for me but getting back to basics and keeping clean sheets and simple formation that's suits our players. Which is 4-2-3-1 for me."?

Hughton wont come here. Thinking he will is living in dreamland IMO. They can both offer better wages and budgets than we can. 

Oscar Garcia is managing Celta Vigo now

No Chance Warnock will come here after last time and he did say he would retire after Cardiff job. 

I think Ainsworth record at Wycombe is impressive and the fact of how many clean sheets they keep aswell this season and are top of league 1. I always thought Johnson would take over from Mowbray and that was the one of the reasons why he was promoted to first team coach this season. 

Surely you could have the same opinion of Danny Cowley when he left Lincoln for Huddersfield or when Alex Neil left Hamilton for Norwich. 

I have suggested other managers on my shortlist aswell

Just now, roversfan99 said:

People at times focus far too much on our defensive inadequacies in that our attack isnt great either. We still certainly do need a striker as Gallagher, Brereton, Armstrong and Samuel are all shite!

Sorting the defence is the priority for me. 

for me, we don't need another striker. we have more than enough to score goals and create chances if we play to strengths of the strikers

• Like 1

Hughton coaching career entirely

Did I not just say that this to you in my previous reply "At the minute playing style is less of a concern for me but getting back to basics and keeping clean sheets and simple formation that's suits our players. Which is 4-2-3-1 for me."?

Hughton wont come here. Thinking he will is living in dreamland IMO. They can both offer better wages and budgets than we can. 

Oscar Garcia is managing Celta Vigo now

No Chance Warnock will come here after last time and he did say he would retire after Cardiff job. 

I think Ainsworth record at Wycombe is impressive and the fact of how many clean sheets they keep aswell this season and are top of league 1. I always thought Johnson would take over from Mowbray and that was the one of the reasons why he was promoted to first team coach this season. 

Surely you could have the same opinion of Danny Cowley when he left Lincoln for Huddersfield or when Alex Neil left Hamilton for Norwich. 

I have suggested other managers on my shortlist aswell

It took Ainsworth about 5 years to get Wycombe out of League Two. Think Venkys or Rovers fans would stick with him that long here?

for me, we don't need another striker. we have more than enough to score goals and create chances if we play to strengths of the strikers

We have enough goals in midfield but up front? Granted it might help Gally and co if they actually played there regularly but we don't bar Graham have a striker who either a) would score regularly or b) enables effective link up that maximises the goals the midfield score. So a striker is an issue. 

That said I agree more of an issue is the defence as if we cut out the 2 conversed per game we wouldn't be reliant on scoring as many goals. 

I'd also say there's a big question over who sits with Travis in the 2 (Holtby?) As that needs resolving too. At least we have 300 potential options for this though and one might work out if the rest of the team was ok. 

Totally disagree. None of Brereton, Gallagher, Samuel or Armstrong have proven that they can score goals anything other than very irregularly at this level. Only Graham has done what you have said. I have just made a thread on the state of our squad.

Just now, JHRover said:

It took Ainsworth about 5 years to get Wycombe out of League Two. Think Venkys or Rovers fans would stick with him that long here?

suggest you look at Wycombe budget in those years and how he did a good job there. And from the current situation he taking them up to Championship. 

His teams keeps clean sheets and play a simple football as I witness last week

Just now, Blue blood said:

We have enough goals in midfield but up front? Granted it might help Gally and co if they actually played there regularly but we don't bar Graham have a striker who either a) would score regularly or b) enables effective link up that maximises the goals the midfield score. So a striker is an issue. 

That said I agree more of an issue is the defence as if we cut out the 2 conversed per game we wouldn't be reliant on scoring as many goals. 

I'd also say there's a big question over who sits with Travis in the 2 (Holtby?) As that needs resolving too. At least we have 300 potential options for this though and one might work out if the rest of the team was ok. 

Play Gallagher and Brereton up front as lone man but to the strengths. 

Mowbray signed these players not me. 

Like I said time after time, the defence needs sorting and us getting back to basics and keep it simple. 

I said yesterday that Holtby cant play centre midfield with Travis as he left him exposed alot and out numbered against their midfield

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Totally disagree. None of Brereton, Gallagher, Samuel or Armstrong have proven that they can score goals anything other than very irregularly at this level. Only Graham has done what you have said. I have just made a thread on the state of our squad.

At the same time though do we want him investing big money in yet another striker for his stupid rotation policy ?

It really is high time they bit the bullet and bought some quality in defence and between the sticks.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

At the same time though do we want him investing big money in yet another striker for his stupid rotation policy ?

It really is high time they bit the bullet and bought some quality in defence and between the sticks.

Mowbray would be gone today if I was in charge, I wouldnt trust him to further improve any area and there are quite a few areas in which we are lacking!

• Like 4

suggest you look at Wycombe budget in those years and how he did a good job there. And from the current situation he taking them up to Championship. 

Like I said time after time, the defence needs sorting and us getting back to basics and keep it simple. 

I said yesterday that Holtby cant play centre midfield with Travis as he left him exposed alot and out numbered against their midfield

Out of interest would you support John Coleman, Paul Tisdale or Paul Hurst as manager? All those have impressive records in Leagues One and Two on limited budgets. Or is it just because Ainsworth is from Blackburn?

Just now, JHRover said:

Out of interest would you support John Coleman, Paul Tisdale or Paul Hurst as manager? All those have impressive records in Leagues One and Two on limited budgets. Or is it just because Ainsworth is from Blackburn?

Coleman Nope. Can't stand him

Tisdale nope. Failed at league 1 with MK Dons

Hurst failed miserably at Ipswich and upset the players and staff there

Look at Ainsworth record there and how he build the club and this season where he has Wycombe and keeping clean sheets and winning games. 

Whichever way it goes Mowbray has to go if are to get promotion.

I can’t remember any promotion from the championship for ages with an old school type manager that we have.  It’s generally the younger, hungrier managers who seem to have the energy to scout bargains and play to their strengths, sadly we have a manager that’s done his time, and in my opinion is piling up his pension pot and taking no risks whatsoever.  Dull football, dull atmosphere, unfit squad and loads of players out of position.....keeping the union reps happy

Edited by Sparks Rover

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher and Brereton are 6ft odd shithouses.  Their lack of strength and presence is embarassing. David Speedie, Craig Bellamy and Paul Dickov were midgets but they could hold a ball up and used every ounce of their strength and craftiness to sucker in the defender to foul them.

• Like 6

With Hughton being mentioned for the West Ham job, I think it's fair to say he wouldn't consider us.

Hughes seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

For me now, if we couldn't tempt Hughes to return I would go for Nigel Pearson or Gareth Ainsworth. I would have DJ as assistant to either one of those. 

I feel Wednesday will be Mowbray's Goodbye and we need to act fast to replace him.