BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

If Tony goes...

If Mowbray goes...  

199 members have voted

1. 1. If Tony leaves or gets sacked who would we want in to replace him.

• Damien Johnson
    • Chris Hughton
    • David Moyes
    • Alan Pardew
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Chris Coleman
    • Gary Rowett
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Neil Harris
    • Martin O'Neill
    • Mark Hughes
    • None of the above

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Likelihood of Mowbray resigning?

Highly likely I think.  He needs an excellent performance on Wednesday, any more calamitous shite and I think he'll reallt get it in the neck. It might all depend on which Raya turns up.  

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Highly likely I think.  He needs an excellent performance on Wednesday, any more calamitous shite and I think he'll reallt get it in the neck. It might all depend on which Raya turns up.  

Their player of the season so far according to many of their supporters.

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

The goalkeeper situation could be very interesting tomorrow. If Raya has a blinder and Walton has another stinker, it might polarise opinion further.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why when Ainsworth got a team on a small budget promoted and top of League 1?

Because Johnson has worked extensively with the young players at the club. 

Ainsworth has been at Wycombe for a long time. A real luxury in management these days. He got promoted from League 2. If he gets them promoted again this season, that would be impressive. Long way to go though. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because Johnson has worked extensively with the young players at the club.  

Internal promotions rarely ever work out. Not unless the club has the right infrastructure and philosophy already in place. 

Damo might get off to a good start (new manager bounce etc.) but you're effectively asking a U23 coach to learn on the job in a competitive division. Why take the risk when there's proven managers out there?

Just now, Amo said:

Internal promotions rarely ever work out. Not unless the club has the right infrastructure and philosophy already in place. 

Damo might get off to a good start (new manager bounce etc.) but you're effectively asking a U23 coach to learn on the job in a competitive division. Why take the risk when there's proven managers out there?

Again, we are discussing between him or Ainsworth. 

This is the second time I have had to clarify this! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Again, we are discussing between him or Ainsworth. 

This is the second time I have had to clarify this! 

Ainsworth has actual managerial experience. And an outsider has more chance of stamping his authority.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

And some of the worst kicking and catching I've seen which isn't good for a keeper

Steele takes the prize for that with me the weakest first choice keeper ever at BRFC.   Raya certainly not far behind but a work in progress who suffered for not being loaned out learning his trade when he should have been. Also being coached by novices and working with poor keepers won't have helped day to day either.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Steele takes the prize for that with me the weakest first choice keeper ever at BRFC.   Raya certainly not far behind but a work in progress who suffered for not being loaned out learning his trade when he should have been. Also being coached by novices and working with poor keepers won't have helped day to day either.

Have you not seen a bloke called Christian Walton?? 

Coaches promoted to the top job from within don't work. It's one of the oldest rules in football yet still clubs fall foul of it through sentimentality and wanting to make a point.

When was the last time a manager who had previously been a coach/reserve manager led his team to success at this level?

Warburton at Brentford did it in the division below but took over a good side on the up with momentum.

Incredible how people still fall for it and then wonder what went wrong when it doesn't work out.

51 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Have you not seen a bloke called Christian Walton?? 

Not enough of him yet no, even Steele improved after he signed before he regressed again but he was being coached by a real experienced coach and had Raya snapping at his heels.  Fell backwards quickly when that coach was shoved out in favour of Lamberts rotund keeper coach.

Not likely to happen with this lad sadly he doesn't look like the guy who was at Wigan yet.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Coaches promoted to the top job from within don't work. It's one of the oldest rules in football yet still clubs fall foul of it through sentimentality and wanting to make a point.

When was the last time a manager who had previously been a coach/reserve manager led his team to success at this level?

Warburton at Brentford did it in the division below but took over a good side on the up with momentum.

Incredible how people still fall for it and then wonder what went wrong when it doesn't work out.

Dean Smith in 2011 at Walsall was head of youth before taking over as caretaker and getting the job permanent. 

Eddie Howe was at Bournemouth as youth coach before getting the 1st team manager job. Look at how that turned out for them

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Dean Smith in 2011 at Walsall was head of youth before taking over as caretaker and getting the job permanent. 

Eddie Howe was at Bournemouth as youth coach before getting the 1st team manager job. Look at how that turned out for them

You can find extreme examples of most things working sometimes but they started in Leagues One and Two so essentially worked their way up didnt they?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Bournemouth were bankrupt, deducted points and facing relegation to the Conference when Howe got the job. He's done brilliantly but the circumstances completely different. He grew with the club, had no pressure or expectation on his shoulders and built it exactly how he wanted it.

Smith at Walsall another case of a small club with small expectations in the 3rd and 4th divisions.

Let's focus on the Championship and big clubs which is more relevant to our position. I can name Redfern, Wassall, Bowyer, Moore, Adams, Ramsey, Gray - none of them massively successful. Bowyer was the best here. Why not get him back?

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Bournemouth were bankrupt, deducted points and facing relegation to the Conference when Howe got the job. He's done brilliantly but the circumstances completely different. He grew with the club, had no pressure or expectation on his shoulders and built it exactly how he wanted it.

Smith at Walsall another case of a small club with small expectations in the 3rd and 4th divisions.

Let's focus on the Championship and big clubs which is more relevant to our position. I can name Redfern, Wassall, Bowyer, Moore, Adams, Ramsey, Gray - none of them massively successful. Bowyer was the best here. Why not get him back?

But those 2 examples proved it can work just like Norwich and Huddersfield appointed German under 23;'s head coach as first team manager. its worked twice out of 3. 

If Damien Johnson got the job then I would be happy with that tbh. as long he could bring some new staff aswell