BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Social Media - discuss

On 04/02/2022 at 20:58, Nuttall is lost said:

I liked the novelty of Facebook when it first came out and you could facebook friend girls you met and have a gawk at their photos.  Since the false information era started on it and the brainwashing I now think its a force for evil.  I still use facebook so I am a hypocrite because I want to stay in contact with poeple in other countries.  Instagram is a platform I cannot stand and think its the most vacuous, vain, shallow site full of posers. It has allowed people to self indulge to no end their vanity. 

Snapchat I have never used but have seen others using it.  The most useless platform of them all.

Yep, I liked Facebook alot when it first came out but over the years it faded. I rarely go on these days,. largely because I'm sick of Facebook sorting things how it wants to and not how i want it to.

The most recent android apps seem to have lost the ability to sort your timeline by most recent altogether, as a result I end up reading posts from 5 days ago about an event that's been and gone. I've given up with it.

Never had Instagram but agree it's created a whole a new world of people. My 10 year old neice sits with her phone pointing at herself, pulling all sorts of strange pouting faces for her "Insta". She's 10. 10!!

Tiktok is another I've not bothered with but again my neice has favourite tiktok'ers and is surprised when I don't know who the hell they are.

Edited by davulsukur

I have relatives in New Zealand, and friends from school, and where I grew up who are now about 40 like me. I used Facebook to keep in touch and see what they've been doing but I deleted my account a while ago. Instead of being a facility for that sort of thing, it was pumping out all sorts of nonsense about American politics, Jeremy Corbyn etc. with the associated comments about Trump being either the next Jesus, or Satan, everyone being a 'Communist' or stupid if you disagreed with some person's comment.........It can get to you sometimes and make you act like one of those goons on phone in shows.

It was the blatant propaganda during the US election, with the clickbait articles, bad comedy and frankly arrogant muppets who were triggered by it that made me opt out. That, and the massive personal data rape that goes on.

I've never been interesting or vain enough for your Instagram or Tik Tok. I believe the latter is Chinese owned, a country that has invested millions in facial recognition technology, and forces companies to share all their data with the government. If I'm right, that's a bit suspicious.......

Yeah, I agree. Slow internet, The Pink Newspaper with the football results and all that. Now, there's no sense of discovery and wonder when the whole world is plugged into the big computer. Things like the internet, camera phones and so on are taken for granted. There's so much information, disinformation, so many products vying for your attention that it's hard to appreciate events or time.

• 5 months later...
  • Backroom

So, it seems that Mark Zuckerberg booked out the whole UFC arena to himself to watch the event last night:

What a sad story. I could understand doing it at a movie premier, or a classical music concert.....some event where crowd atmosphere and participation isn't vital.

But paying for fight night without a crowd seems like you're taking all the fun out the event...for yourself and the athletes.

And this is the guy that claims to want to 'connect' the World and build friendships and relationships. 🤔

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Elon Musk finally bought Twitter last week and it's garnering plenty of news stories over here. His first actions were to fire the CEO and other top positions. Reports out yesterday say that he's going to get rid of 50% of the workplace today.

I have no idea what he will do with the company. From what I've read Twitter isn't a big money maker, so has be bought it for other reasons?

8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Elon Musk finally bought Twitter last week and it's garnering plenty of news stories over here. His first actions were to fire the CEO and other top positions. Reports out yesterday say that he's going to get rid of 50% of the workplace today.

I have no idea what he will do with the company. From what I've read Twitter isn't a big money maker, so has be bought it for other reasons?

To feed his massive Ego

22 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Advertising. It’s not being used anywhere near to its capabilities and he’s about to both shake the metaphorical bottle of Coca Cola but also earn a fuck tonne of money. 

• Like 3

He's probably going to strip out the company, make it a very lean operation, then pocket as much money as he can before selling it on to someone like Tencent or an Arab led consortium. The whole 'freedom of speech' talk is nonsense as Musk s balls deep in with the Chinese government with his massive factories and other interests there.

On 05/11/2022 at 14:51, J*B said:

Advertising. It’s not being used anywhere near to its capabilities and he’s about to both shake the metaphorical bottle of Coca Cola but also earn a fuck tonne of money. 

He's made a bit of a mess of it to start with. Albeit, one that brings in 💰 for him.

What's the point in verification now anyone can pay $8 per month and get the blue tick?

How do you know you're following the real person?

42 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

He's made a bit of a mess of it to start with. Albeit, one that brings in 💰 for him.

What's the point in verification now anyone can pay $8 per month and get the blue tick?

How do you know you're following the real person?

Speculation time, but here’s my prediction. 

Twitters biggest problem is the users make more from adverting than the platform. There’s no way Musk will stand for that. Take Kim Kardashian, for example. Her fee to post about your brand is a million dollars and she’s said that before in public. 

Musk will use his tech / PayPal history to create a simple way for advertisers to pay  influencers to tweet about their brand and the process will funnel everything through twitters revenue as well as a small commission. This will only be available to blue tick paying influencers. 

Eg: I want to sell BRFCS merch on Twitter. I log in to their “advertising” section, give them a budget and they suggest relevant blue-tick Twitter accounts who will promote my merch alongside their fees. I decide to go with David Dunn for £2,000 and Matt Jansen for £1,500 based on the amount of Rovers supporting followers they have. Twitter takes my £3,500, the revenue is funnelled through Twitter then both players are paid for the tweet minus a small commission. 

This would create - I suspect - Billions.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J*B said:

Speculation time, but here’s my prediction. 

Twitters biggest problem is the users make more from adverting than the platform. There’s no way Musk will stand for that. Take Kim Kardashian, for example. Her fee to post about your brand is a million dollars and she’s said that before in public. 

Musk will use his tech / PayPal history to create a simple way for advertisers to pay  influencers to tweet about their brand and the process will funnel everything through twitters revenue as well as a small commission. This will only be available to blue tick paying influencers. 

Eg: I want to sell BRFCS merch on Twitter. I log in to their “advertising” section, give them a budget and they suggest relevant blue-tick Twitter accounts who will promote my merch alongside their fees. I decide to go with David Dunn for £2,000 and Matt Jansen for £1,500 based on the amount of Rovers supporting followers they have. Twitter takes my £3,500, the revenue is funnelled through Twitter then both players are paid for the tweet minus a small commission. 

This would create - I suspect - Billions.  

You obviously have a better handle on this than I could ever have!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How stupid is Elon Musk,does he think limiting peoples tweet views will make them pay for his verified crap.I'm surethe remaining advertisers that twitter have left will be very happy that he's limiting traffic on the site.

I use Twitter to post the season ticket estimates, and while I follow a number of football related accounts, I generally don't keep up with them because it can be overwhelming. Instead, I subscribe to a handful of RSS feeds and digest the news in that way. Those feeds are so underrated, especially in this day and age where likes, retweets, sponsored content, algorithms, and all that other nonsense takes precedence over real content. BRFCS has one, by the way. 😀 I wish the LT would fix theirs, however. 🙄

The problem for Twitter is that they appear to be a financially unsustainable company. As an economic dullard, it amazes me that companies like this make billions upon billions of losses. There can't really be any denying that they have been poorly run in the past. Musk is attempting to balance it all with sheer ruthlessness. Will it work in the end? Or should he just slow the pace down and lay low for a bit while his reputation is taking a bashing in the media? Time will tell. Frankly, I don't really care. Mastodon and RSS for the win. Digitally detox your life if you can.

Edited by goozburger

On 02/07/2023 at 20:34, Mattyblue said:

Made me laugh when all the media luvvies were trying to promote a mass move to Mastodon, it will never, ever have the clout of Twitter.

Edit: I've just realised I made pretty much the same post as I did the other day, which I totally forgot about. 🤪

I use Mastodon for tech-related news because it has the sources that I need, and I prefer to use free and open-source software where possible. It is much more joyful to use than Twitter. It's a cleaner, simpler interface with not adverts and no distractions from the content you actually want to read. The closest thing to an RSS feed in social media format.

However, the problem is what content you're looking for. If it's football, then Mastodon probably doesn't have the sources that you want (LT, Lancs Live, Rovers official, etc.). I still use Twitter for that, and I've been posting the season ticket estimates there, too, but I'm wondering if there is really any point to it when RSS feeds are ample for the amount I can physically read.

I have a Facebook account for the sole purpose of accessing a Group that I enjoy being part of. I only went back to it recently and, oh my, what an absolute piece of bloatware and shitware Facebook has become since I last used it. I really wish the Group would use something more open and accessible than a platform run by data-abusers.

But that's the thing with social media. People say they don't have a choice, and I may even be saying that in my last paragraph. Actually, we all have a choice. It's just whether the reasons for switching outweigh the effort of doing it in order to get the same thing on the other platforms out there. Invariably, I think people just give up trying.

Edited by goozburger

10 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I hear that Threads has taken off, and revived Zuckerberg's empire. He is a terrible, pernicious person but watching Elon Musk lose his mind is funny.

As Twitter appears to fall into a far right conspiracy theory mindset it is in danger of being the next MySpace.

Twitter is now a fascist tool emboldened by corrupt Judges in the US.

Not that I like Zuckerberg either but Threads has the enormous Instagram following on tap.

• 5 months later...