BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fever Pitch

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Luck?.

Robbed of points home and away, by brown envelope Refs, to ManUre  who then bottled it at West Ham.

OK let's accept the luck theory and that luck evens itself out over a season leaving the rightful winner .... US.

How you put Jack and Shearer down to luck is a job for the couchman.

When we were talking about this earlier, I forgot to mention that penalty we never got at Elland Rd. We were up 1-0. Shearer was clearly fouled in the penalty area in the  last few minutes--no pen. We had completely dominated the game. Leeds went down the right wing, a routine cross and header and 2 points gone. 

Without that decision alone we would have won the Premiership at Ewood.

In his Diary book Shearer said that was the clearest penalty you could possibly see. Even the Leeds fans around me agreed it was!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

When we were talking about this earlier, I forgot to mention that penalty we never got at Elland Rd. We were up 1-0. Shearer was clearly fouled in the penalty area in the  last few minutes--no pen. We had completely dominated the game. Leeds went down the right wing, a routine cross and header and 2 points gone. 

Without that decision alone we would have won the Premiership at Ewood.

In his Diary book Shearer said that was the clearest penalty you could possibly see. Even the Leeds fans around me agreed it was!

Poll having a bad hair day! Deane's goal at 90 mins.

When we played them 2 months earlier at Ewood Flowers was sent off after 2 minutes and Leeds scored a pen at 85 min. Also a 1-1.

Yes, points went awol in those games.

28,000++ at Ewood, Waggott would mess his undies

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

I'm not a Cantona fan at all but I do find amusing the thought of Matthew Simmons running down a few rows of steps to undoubtedly hurl quite a bit of abuse. About 5 seconds later he's probably thinking "shit I wasn't expecting that".

It's like people hurling abuse on twitter that they wouldn't say to someone face to face because they think that there can be no comeuppance. Only that time there was.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm not a Cantona fan at all but I do find amusing the thought of Matthew Simmons running down a few rows of steps to undoubtedly hurl quite a bit of abuse. About 5 seconds later he's probably thinking "shit I wasn't expecting that".

It's like people hurling abuse on twitter that they wouldn't say to someone face to face because they think that there can be no comeuppance. Only that time there was.

After watching that doc, I can’t help but feel a bit of sympathy for Cantona tbh.

Plus, that guy he kicked most likely deserved it, looking at his rap sheet since!

• Like 4

Remember also that night match Utd v Southampton? It was their 2nd last game of the season and they had to win. I watched it at the Horse and Hounds where Sky TV turned up to cover Rovers fans reactions to the game! 

That's how important we were then!

I say I watched it but Birdy plonked himself about a foot from the screen and wouldn't take his big blue wig off!

Anyway it wasn't going to plan and Southampton were leading 1-0 in the 5th minute and, even though Cole equalised after 20 mins  it looked as if we could be crowned Champions without kicking a ball. Step forward the ref who awarded the most soft penalty ever in the 80th min and we know the rest!

I was interviewed by Sky as I left the pub and said what I thought. 

If you look at the decisions that went against us and the ones that went for Utd, its a miracle we won the bloody thing at all!

• Like 5

On 26/09/2021 at 21:26, Paul Mellelieu said:

We got lucky - Jack, Shearer, Cantana, Cole.     

Apart from Jack, I have to disagree.

Did you see the Berg penalty and sending off when we were leading at Ewood? How about the goal at OT disallowed for nothing? The only reason it went down to the wire in the first place was because we were robbed in BOTH games against them. 

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 6

As both Dalglish and Sherwood pointed out at the Hall of Fame dinner last year, the amount of players we had missing through injury for big chunks of that season - Batty, Gallacher, Warhurst, Wilcox - more than evens out the loss of Cantona in the ‘luck’ stakes

• Like 5

• 7 months later...